Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2019 09:00

XPS 15 7590, WD15 docking station issue

Hi, i'm unable to get my WD15 docking station to work on my dell xps 7590. When I plug it into my laptop via the USB-C port: 1. it doesn't seem to be charging the laptop 2. it's not reading any of the equipment plugged into the docking station - 1080P 144Hz monitor attached via HDMI - mouse - keyboard Anyone else having this issue? Is there something I need to do to get it to work properly? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 15th, 2019 10:00

A problem with the power adapter feeding the WD15 would explain both of those issues. With an XPS 15 model, the WD15 needs to be powered by a 180W power supply. Is that what you have? If so, do you have a way to confirm that it works with some other Dell system, or even by directly connecting it to your XPS 15 if you have the correct barrel size adapter dongle? Read this =

Dell USB-C and Thunderbolt Docks (WD15, TB16, TB18DC, WD19, WD19TB, WD19DC, D6000) - BIOS Settings and Driver Installation for Troubleshooting

5 Posts

September 18th, 2019 16:00

HI Jphughan,

Thanks very much for your reply. My docking station is powered by 180W power supply.

Also, the docking station works fine on my Dell latitude 5480.

In Theory, it sounds like it should work on my XPS 7590 without any issues correct? Are there any specific drivers I need to download or update to ensure that it does?

I'm not sure which dongle you're referring to, the cable coming out of my docking station to connect to my laptop is a USB C

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 18th, 2019 18:00

@Carcass67  the dongle I was referring to was an adapter that would allow you to connect the dock's power supply directly to the XPS 15 just to confirm the power supply worked.  The dock power supply uses the larger barrel style (I think 7.4 mm) that's been around since about 2008, whereas the XPS 15 uses the smaller barrel style, which came about in 2013 on ultra thin and light laptops, except on systems like most Latitude models where maintaining simple compatibility with existing AC adapters that businesses likely had in high quantity was a priority.  Anyway, Dell makes adapters to allow the larger style adapters to be plugged into systems that use the smaller barrel style, so if you happened to have one of those, it would have been a useful test. But if you've successfully tested the dock with a 5480, then never mind.

So back to the XPS 15 issue.  Yes, the WD15 should be working, and if it's not even charging the system properly, then there's something going on even underneath the OS.  Right off the bat I would recommend updating the BIOS/firmware for the XPS 15 and also for the WD15.  You'll need to run the latter update from a system that works properly with the dock, so it's lucky you have that 5480.  As of this writing, the latest versions of each update are here (XPS 15) and here (WD15).  If you still can't charge the system, try going into the BIOS Setup on the XPS 15 and selecting the Battery Information section.  Below the battery graphic, the system will show the identified wattage of an attached power source when there is one.  Does that show 130W when the system is plugged into the dock?  Does it show an AC adapter attached at all?

No Events found!