Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

3 Posts

August 10th, 2020 18:00

XPS 15 7590, Windows 10 2004, battery drain issues

Hi everyone, looking for some help/advice about my XPS 15 7590, which I have had for just over a year. The purchased 1 year warranty expired on July 12, 2020. Here is a summary of the battery issues I've been having which I believe only started after updating to Windows 10 2004:

• When the battery level reaches about 50%, it suddenly drains rapidly.
  • If I put the laptop into hibernation mode at, for example, 40%, when I turn it on again the battery is at 1%. Then, when I plug in the AC adapter, it jumps to about 40-50%.

What I've tried already:

• A battery calibration (following the guide here)
  • Ensured all available updates are installed via SupportAssist

Other info:

• Laptop specs: i7-9750H, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 1650, FHD
  • I ran a battery report and wear is reported at 89.2%

I've always been careful to take good care of my battery (i.e. not letting it drop below 20%, doing a full discharge cycle once a month) and have had no issues until recently so this is really frustrating. I've been thinking I need to rollback the version 2004 update or replace my battery, but would greatly appreciate any advice or tips! Please let me know also if you need any more info.

1 Message

September 26th, 2020 01:00

I am afraid that I have no answer to help you, however I am also experiencing this issue. The laptop is just out of warranty. I am finding that when closing the laptop lid to enter hibernation at >50% battery, I return to a 'Battery critical level warning', with the battery fully discharged. 

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

September 26th, 2020 02:00

I'm interested to know why you feel you should be doing a full discharge cycle once a month with this battery.

3 Posts

October 6th, 2020 01:00

In the past, I've read that doing so helps keep the battery in good health. Your reply prompted me to do some more research and find out this advice is outdated. Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

3 Posts

October 6th, 2020 01:00

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issue, it's very frustrating! I still haven't been able to find a fix and my warranty expired a few months ago too. I called Dell and was told it could be motherboard issues, looks like I will have to send it off for repair...will keep you posted if I find any fixes in the meantime

1 Message

January 24th, 2021 17:00

@eskway Any updates on this? I have the same problem.

No Events found!