Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2020 06:00

XPS 15 7590 with dualboot - sound on Ubuntu is terrible

Hi,

I have bought XPS 15 7590 2 weeks ago. After setting all up in windows I did dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 (which I need for work) alongside Windows 10.

I was mainly looking at this DELL's manual and this Medium post when doing that.

I managed to do that and most of the things works pretty well. One thing I can not solve is "fixing" sound and microphone. Laptop's speakers sound so bad on Ubuntu that it is not almost possible to listen anything on that. The max volume is very low and bass is basically non existing. On Windows, it is 100x better. The difference is also noticeable with external headphones or speakers. Especially bass is really missing.

Microphone has similar problem. When I call on Ubuntu, people are complaining that the sound quality is terrible (compared to when using Windows).

I was trying to fix it using tool called Pulse Effect but that improved it only slightly. It more feels like there is a problem with default Ubuntu's drivers.

Does anyone here have a similar experience and maybe some tips how to fix it? It would be shame not to be able to have fully functional Ubuntu system on such a nice laptop.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 14th, 2020 12:00

Hi Matt525252, 

We would like to let you know the system model Xps 7590 is not tested with Ubuntu. Hence we don't have compatible drivers on our support page. 

We request you to use the system with a single operating system(Windows) and confirm if the problem persists.^PC

15 Posts

April 14th, 2020 13:00

Hi, thanks but the whole point of this questions was how to set it up on Ubuntu.

33 Posts

July 28th, 2020 22:00

Well, it seems you are not the only one with that problem. I got an Inspiron 620s, same setup of dual boot W10/Ubuntu 18.04. Same problem. Sound is really dull and poor in Ubuntu. I have tried everything, even editing the Pulse Audio Daemon.confi file to change sampling and sound bitrate levels. Nothing changes... If I plug the speakers in the front headphones jacks, the sound is better but not great as in Windows.

In another hand, I got an Acer laptop and a gaming rig I built few years ago, both have dual boot and the sound is greate in either OS. So, after reading your comment, I am starting to think that it is a Dell issue.

Actually, I used to work for Dell Tech Support and it is not uncommon to hear about hardware limitations or known issues in Dell computers. They don't put too much attention to Linux compatibility in their systems, at least for the consumers market.

Anyway, we have to keep looking for a solution. Let me know if you find something.  

2 Posts

February 4th, 2021 12:00

guys, but what about microphone? the mic input is terrible (not usable). I tried @Matt525252 's solution, but it doesn't seem to influence the microphone input

No Events found!