Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2022 13:00

XPS 15 9500 4k Video Playback Problems

I have the Dell XPS 15 9500 4k and have been having issues with streaming 4k video.

Basic spec:
9500 4k Touch Screen
Intel 10750H
16 GB RAM
1650 TI

The Problem:
The laptop is now unable to stream 4k from Netflix/Disney Plus. 4k YouTube video very jerky and unwatchable.

I want to see if anyone else has this problem and go over what Dell has done so far. This is our 4th XPS 15 Laptop we bought for work (this is the only 4k model though). Really like them so this isn’t a “slag off Dell” post. Just wanted to write up where I am with it. Sorry for the long post.

When new (bought in late 2021), this laptop played Netflix 4k films fine using the Netflix app. When you go into Netflix and select a film (say 6 Underground), the info shows its Dolby Vision - Atmos. It played the film in full 4k, HDR etc. This can be checked by pressing CTR, SHIFT, ALT, Q when the film is running to pull up the nerd info from Netflix. Here it shows it’s running in 4k etc. Disney Plus app also worked fine in 4k.

Using Edge browser to open Youtube and run a 4k 60 FPS video was also fine. Stats for nerds showed no dropped frames here, great video smooth playback.

A couple of months on I’m not able to play 4k films in the Netflix app, get Netflix Error U7361-1255-8004CD22. Select the film and the info shows its Dolby Vision – Atmos so it should be able to run in 4k but won’t.

YouTube will play the same 4k 60 FPS video but it's jerky and unwatchable, stats for nerds show its dropping frames constantly.

The only thing that’s changed on the laptop is updating the windows updates and the Dell driver updates. As of writing, ALL bios, driver, windows updates are done.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre says the display is NOT HDCP compatible.

I’ve spoken to Dell, they confirmed the machine is HDCP 2.2 complaint. They thought the motherboard was faulty so sent a tech round to replace it. We replaced the mobo and put in the same Hard Drive and booted it up. Netflix was now able to run a 4k film, but it was jerky, out of sync with the sound and basically unwatchable. YouTube 4k test video was just as bad as it was before. The Intel Graphics Command Centre still says the display is not HDCP compatible.

The Dell Support software found a new bios update for the motherboard, so we flash the bios and install it. Reboot the laptop and now Netflix and Disney Plus won’t play the 4k movies. They throw up the same error codes that mean there’s a problem with HDCP (Disney Plus is error code 39 I think)

I decided to do a full Windows restore and wipe the computer and reinstall windows 11. Fresh install with all the relevant updates and the same problems. Same error codes on Netflix and Disney Plus. Same problem on Youtube 4k video playback.

Dell has offered to replace the laptop but as the 9500 is no longer made, they offered the newer 9510. The problem is they don’t have the 4k screen model so was only able to offer the basic entry model. Whilst I appreciate this, I do need the 4k so as of now I’m waiting for that to become available but it's looking like it will be months before a replacement is offered.

I would be happy to keep my current laptop if there was a way to fix it but as of now, we can't seem to do that.

Does anyone else have this issue or do just have a faulty laptop that needs replacing?

July 15th, 2022 11:00

I found the following update was done on my computer in the time period when the error must have been introduced. Seems a likely suspect for causing this error. Do you have this or similar software on your machines?

Intel Management Engine Firmware - 10 (1909 or Later)/11 (21H2 or Later) - 14.1.60.1807
Successfully installed: 3/4/2022 7:36 PM

54 Posts

July 16th, 2022 04:00

Worth pointing out that my original XPS 9500 said "not compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection" but my new XPS 15 9520 which can actually stream 4k correctly, also says "not compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection".  

57 Posts

July 19th, 2022 05:00

Very interesting to hear. So I think we can safely conclude that this indication is unrelated to the actual HDCP 2.x playback issues, as for example the Cyberlink UHD Blu Ray Tester always reports the system with integrated display as HDCP 2.x compliant.

Rather this looks like an entirely separate failure of Intel's driver or at least very misleading and useless information, if it is the case that integrated displays do not actually use HDCP up until the display controller but are allowed to somehow bypass HDCP enforcement due to their integrated nature.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2022 11:00

My XPS 9370 has been suffering from the same problem for the last 2 months after Dell replaced the LCD assembly and the motherboard. In total they've tried to repair it 6 times, having their technicians cause additional damage on several occasions. Even though it's clear as the light of day that they're unable to fix the issue, Dell is refusing to replace my laptop and is continuously trying to repair it. Dell's support is beyond frustrating.

54 Posts

July 22nd, 2022 12:00

It seems that only certain departments know about the 4k streaming problem whilst other departments keep trying to “fix it”. Dell promised multiple times they would replace my old faulty laptop with a new one but that was nothing but empty promises and lies. If you are still within warranty then you should have the option for a full refund. If that’s not an option then no amount of “repair” from Dell is going to fix this issue and the only thing to do is wait until they get the issue fixed with a software update of some kind. I agree that it’s completely frustrating and that’s why I threw in the towel and opted for a refund and then bought the newer model. It cost me a lot more money to fix Dell's faulty laptop but after 6 months of dealing with Dell's Pro Support teams, it was the better choice.

22 Posts

August 4th, 2022 10:00

I reported the issue to Dell for my XPS 9700.  I was informed today that Intel has been working on the BIOS and there will be a release in September that fixes the NetFlix issue..  This BIOS, version 1.18 for the 9700 should fix the issue.  I do not know about the other models.  I suspect they will have an update too.

Tom

54 Posts

August 9th, 2022 02:00

This is what I was last told by Dell, let's hope they actually do what they say they are going to do and it's not just more hot air being spouted. 
In other news, (after I got my full refund for the faulty laptop and spent the additional £1000 odd pounds to buy the newer model to resolve this issue), Dell kindly sent me a £50 voucher so someone up there must have actually felt a tiny bit of guilt..... But I doubt it....

57 Posts

August 9th, 2022 05:00

In trying to escape Dell and their software bugs, I bought a new notebook with Alder Lake-P from a different manufacturer.

Sadly the integrated screen is not 4K, so the device by itself will never attempt UHD playback. And Netflix UHD playback works as expected via HDMI (with a USB-C adapter, device has no native HDMI ports. So signal is definitely going through Displayport), but it did not at all with Displayport directly, even with the same monitor (also that monitor previously supported it and was the one the 9500 could achieve UHD playback with).

I either get a new error code from Netflix or just FHD playback. 

So this is starting to look like Netflix and Intel (and maybe Microsoft) have more to do with those problems than Dell itself...

August 9th, 2022 23:00

VERY STRABGE IT ALSO WORKED FOR ME... but nothing else

August 9th, 2022 23:00

I've got the same issue with the Inspiron 7300 2n1 Black Edition. And the problem happened within the same time frame you described as well. DELL NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!

14 Posts

August 18th, 2022 03:00

This might be because Arcane and similar animated shows like the Cuphead Show, despite being in Dolby Vision are only in Full HD and not 4K and thus Netflix can stream them without a problem.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 23rd, 2022 07:00

Attn Thread Posters:  Received information today from Dell Engineering that  a new version of BIOS is getting released by the second week of October. 

22 Posts

September 3rd, 2022 19:00

I think you are a bunch of liars. I have received several emails from supervisors as well as phone calls saying a new bios will be released first week of September,. Version 1.18.0.

Well I decided to check it out today and guess what 1.18.0 was already released August 8th. So all those emails are a bunch of lies.

I now have to wait another friggin month? The. What? It still doesn't work? A flagship 9700 that can't play Netflix movies is completely unacceptable. I want a refund. I have full support costing somewhere around 400 dlars and this is worse than a kick in the you know where.

Refund my money. I'll go with HP or Microsoft.

2o years of dell computers and this has no priority.

You got my coordinates, arrange to pick it up and refund all including my support costs Enough is enough.

22 Posts

September 6th, 2022 16:00

Well haven't heard anything yet?

Perhaps all these dell users with 4k monitors would join a .

Already joined one against defective retina displays with Apple and we all got our money back. I'm sure Dell would enjoy that.

6 Posts

September 9th, 2022 02:00

Hi all,

Unfortunately I have the exact same issue with my Dell XPS 9700 4K. It started somewhere around march this year. I wonder if this problem ever get fixed...

No Events found!