Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2022 13:00

XPS 15 9500 4k Video Playback Problems

I have the Dell XPS 15 9500 4k and have been having issues with streaming 4k video.

Basic spec:
9500 4k Touch Screen
Intel 10750H
16 GB RAM
1650 TI

The Problem:
The laptop is now unable to stream 4k from Netflix/Disney Plus. 4k YouTube video very jerky and unwatchable.

I want to see if anyone else has this problem and go over what Dell has done so far. This is our 4th XPS 15 Laptop we bought for work (this is the only 4k model though). Really like them so this isn’t a “slag off Dell” post. Just wanted to write up where I am with it. Sorry for the long post.

When new (bought in late 2021), this laptop played Netflix 4k films fine using the Netflix app. When you go into Netflix and select a film (say 6 Underground), the info shows its Dolby Vision - Atmos. It played the film in full 4k, HDR etc. This can be checked by pressing CTR, SHIFT, ALT, Q when the film is running to pull up the nerd info from Netflix. Here it shows it’s running in 4k etc. Disney Plus app also worked fine in 4k.

Using Edge browser to open Youtube and run a 4k 60 FPS video was also fine. Stats for nerds showed no dropped frames here, great video smooth playback.

A couple of months on I’m not able to play 4k films in the Netflix app, get Netflix Error U7361-1255-8004CD22. Select the film and the info shows its Dolby Vision – Atmos so it should be able to run in 4k but won’t.

YouTube will play the same 4k 60 FPS video but it's jerky and unwatchable, stats for nerds show its dropping frames constantly.

The only thing that’s changed on the laptop is updating the windows updates and the Dell driver updates. As of writing, ALL bios, driver, windows updates are done.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre says the display is NOT HDCP compatible.

I’ve spoken to Dell, they confirmed the machine is HDCP 2.2 complaint. They thought the motherboard was faulty so sent a tech round to replace it. We replaced the mobo and put in the same Hard Drive and booted it up. Netflix was now able to run a 4k film, but it was jerky, out of sync with the sound and basically unwatchable. YouTube 4k test video was just as bad as it was before. The Intel Graphics Command Centre still says the display is not HDCP compatible.

The Dell Support software found a new bios update for the motherboard, so we flash the bios and install it. Reboot the laptop and now Netflix and Disney Plus won’t play the 4k movies. They throw up the same error codes that mean there’s a problem with HDCP (Disney Plus is error code 39 I think)

I decided to do a full Windows restore and wipe the computer and reinstall windows 11. Fresh install with all the relevant updates and the same problems. Same error codes on Netflix and Disney Plus. Same problem on Youtube 4k video playback.

Dell has offered to replace the laptop but as the 9500 is no longer made, they offered the newer 9510. The problem is they don’t have the 4k screen model so was only able to offer the basic entry model. Whilst I appreciate this, I do need the 4k so as of now I’m waiting for that to become available but it's looking like it will be months before a replacement is offered.

I would be happy to keep my current laptop if there was a way to fix it but as of now, we can't seem to do that.

Does anyone else have this issue or do just have a faulty laptop that needs replacing?

22 Posts

October 10th, 2022 20:00

Dell has uploaded a new bios, 1.20 which doesn't even load on my XPS 9700.

What's this about November 11?  It was supposed to be september, then October and now november?  Don 't you think that the mods here don't know what's going on at all  Its' plain and simple lying

6 Posts

October 11th, 2022 08:00

I installed version 1.20 on my XPS 9700... Disney and Prime are working again. Netflix works in Edge with NON HDR content. HDR content is being shown as a green, blue or purple screen. The sound and subs work. The Netflix app plays HDR as well non HDR in green, blue or purple, but the error code is gone... Strange...

Edit: Youtube is working in 4k HDR without any lagging.

54 Posts

October 11th, 2022 08:00

HI va2fsq,
At a guess, I would expect the 15-inch 9500 and the 17-inch 9700 to have different and no corresponding Bios versions.  The latest 9500 bios version is 1.18 but it seems the latest 9700 Bios version is 1.20?  I was told a while back that the 9500 will get a bios version (1.19)  released on the 11th of Nov and that's the latest news I've been able to find out.  I'm only guessing, but I expect when that version comes out for the 15-inch 9500, Dell will also release new Bios for the 17-inch 9700. 

14 Posts

October 12th, 2022 01:00

Yesterday they released the Bios version 1.19 for the XPS 15 9500. On the release notes it says "- Fixed the issue where an error is displayed when you stream Netflix in 4K resolution." I'll wait a couple of days and then I'll download it

57 Posts

October 12th, 2022 03:00

Installed 1.19 on my 9500 and yes, it fixes the Netflix crash when attempting to play UHD content on the integrated display without any external monitors attached.

But in the meantime Netflix, Intel and Microsoft managed to create a new bug with HDR content showing as mostly entirely green. This happens on my 2 Alder Lake platforms as well (when using iGPU for playback of HDR material, while currently using Nvidia dGPU with dedicated screen just shows as entirely black).

My takeaway from all of this is to cancel Netflix, because they are definitely also partly at fault in this and did not care enough to fix streaming high-quality content on PC. Their DRM seems to require constant babysitting and testing, which neither Netflix, nor Intel and Microsoft seem to be capable of...

54 Posts

Thanks, YiannisMak

You are indeed correct, it seems that Dell did release the 1.19 Bios yesterday. The notes of this Bios update claim that IT HAS FIXED THIS ISSUE. Can I ask if anyone has downloaded and installed it and can confirm that it works?

Here is the link Dell XPS 15 9500 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell UK

Things to check once installed on your XPS 15 9500.

Open Netflix APP and select a 4k movie. Check it plays rather than gives the error code. When its playing press CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + Q to bring up the stats. Make sure the resolution is 3840 x 2160.

Open YouTube and search for a 4k Test video. play it and see if it plays smoothly.

If this is the case then congrats to Dell, it took you a year to fix it, but at least you actually did it! 

57 Posts

Yes, I have seen this years ago on my TV with a buggy update, that was fixed after a few days.

Disabling HDR mostly causes Netflix to play an SDR version, which is fine, but some movies (Annihilation had this problem a few days ago, that is when I first noticed the green-screen problem) seem to still be distributed in HDR on my PC in this case.

But HDR playback outside of Netflix still works just as before. And like I said this problem is present on the 9500 with Intel 2111 drivers as well as 1 Alder Lake notebook and 1 Desktop both running Intels 3430 drivers.

(All 3 are running Windows 11 22H2 so this could very possibly be the common denominator).

So like with the sudden problem of no longer playing UHD on comet lake, I think this might come down to Windows- or Netflix-side changes

But I am really getting fed up with these Netflix playback issues on Desktop...

54 Posts

This is odd, I've seen this before on screens that try to play 4k HDR content but are not capable, the result, as you say, is the film is very green and purple. The Dell XPS 15 9500 should be able to play Netflix 4k films (either 4k UHD or Dolby ATMOS with HDR).  I'm not sure why this is happening, normal things to suggest are driver updates for the INTEL GPU and Nvidia GPU etc.
As an afterthought, (I'm sure you have tried this but in case not), right-click the desktop and hit "Display Settings" Try turning Off/ON "Use HDR" and see if that makes a difference? 

14 Posts

October 12th, 2022 14:00

I just downloaded the Bios version 1.19 for the xps 15 9500. Finally, Netflix works correctly. I played a DV episode on the Netflix app and it worked as intended. I even checked the image quality and it was on 4K. Moreover, I played a youtube video with HDR enabled and there were no issues there.

22 Posts

October 12th, 2022 23:00

All seems well.

22 Posts

Also tested on Youtube with Microsoft edge.

HDR 4K now works with no stuttering at 4k 60fsp.  You need a good network connection though.  It sustains 140Mb/s.

Let's hope future updates don't break it again!

22 Posts

Bios 1.20 for the XPS 9700 fixes the Netflix issue.  Roughly 8 months.

Dell has always had bios and driver issues from my first XPS15 from ears ago.

If only they would fix the power management issues in the Bios and Windows as well.

Tom

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 01:00

After an update for the Intel UHD I can confirm everything works fine for the 9700 as well. Finally...

57 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 13:00

Now a Windows Store HEVC Video Extensions update arrived on all my devices and that fixed the green HDR issue. This holds for both HDR10 and Dolby Vision content through Netflix.

So yes, the HDR issues were in fact completely independent of Dell and Intel and their HDCP fix. I can finally watch Netflix in the highest quality on PC again. 

Now let's see how long this lasts before some other change from any one of the involved companies breaks it again...

3 Posts

October 27th, 2022 07:00

I bought the XPS 15 9500 2 years ago (15 okt 2020), and it has never worked until now. So yes I am glad that it works, but not glad that it took so long. 

We also have a XPS 15 9510 from january, that never had the problem. So the solution was known for a long time. 
Both Netflix and Dell support have always pointed to each other, instead of joining forces to figure out what the problem really was. 
Dell could do with a thorough after action evaluation on this case. 

No Events found!