Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2020 17:00

XPS 15 9500, Killer AX500 WiFi+BT, WiFi not working

Hello guys!
I have a new XPS 15 9500 with the Killer AX500. Was working well for a while, then bluetooth stack messed up out in the middle of work. I think it Dell software was installing the Intel serial bus update or something but I'm not sure. Anyway, restart the computer, no more WiFi! Bluetooth I do have, but WiFi is gone. Did all the usual, remove the adapters, reinstall the drivers, get windows back a few restore points behind, uninstall drivers again, remove devices (other devices), reinstall the drivers, restarted a million times. Download the latest versions of BIOS and everything else. Even in the BIOS now is show that I have no WiFi adapter. But somehow the bluetooth does work. And Windows says my device is not even "connected". So yeah! That's that! I called Dell support but it's gonna be a few days before someone call me, not a 1st level of support I hope. The only thing I haven't tried is reset the laptop to manufacture state, but I don't really want to do that. I'm a developer and it takes 2 to 3 days downloading and installing everything, then configuring the environment, aaaaaah, yeah you know. And I already did that 10 days ago when the computer came in. Anyway, if anyone have some piece of wisdom, please share!

3 Posts

November 17th, 2020 11:00

Thought I would update this post.

My problem resolved itself "magically" after Windows update 20H2, which included intelpep.sys files and some other intel base drivers... And yesterday the last KB windows update patch had an Intel Serial IO driver update, pure coincidence I'm sure 

So yeah my problem is fixed and was not hardware at all.

Cheers!

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 17:00

Oh yeah and I can confirm that I did install the Intel Serial IO Driver - A05 - 9.95 MB - Recommended before everything when to crud. Could it have anything to do with it?

3 Posts

November 17th, 2020 11:00

The same thing has been happening to me. The laptop completely crashed and when it rebooted there was no wifi. Luckily I have a wifi firmware backup on my USB. But it is beyond ridiculous that anyone should be having these issues when you pay for a laptop that costs $2,000. 

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 09:00

Last night everything was working fine.
This morning, No Wifi.    Blutooth worked, but no wifi. 
Reboot/cold starts would not help.  Device manager had no entry for Killer Wifi
(though I could see it if I checked "show hidden devices")

Killer wifi is right.  It canceled itself.

The "F2" Bios hardware screen showed "None" for Wifi
I tried bios defaults then reloading the bios.  Nope.  
I then unplugged the battery to the main board for 30 seconds and replugged it.

On startup, I hit F2 to enter bios (it actually wanted to go to bios setup because the date/time was now wrong)

And the Wifi was back.

Seems sometimes the bios gets confused about the presence/health of the wifi adapter.

Note: on the XPS15 9500 and 7590 (2020 and 2019 models) you'll need a T5 screwdriver to take the back off to get to the power connector.

1 Message

January 4th, 2021 08:00

I have the same problem.. This proposition doesn't help me.

In Bios I can see "wifi device" : None... (even if sometimes it apears Killer... but very very rarely)

A solution ?

January 8th, 2021 15:00

can you please send me older file as i have issue with killer 6 wifi and trackpad drivers issue

January 10th, 2021 15:00

my xps 15 9500 i9 10880 gen wifi start working after i remove battery for some time and restarted but track pad  gesture is still not working.

1 Message

January 13th, 2021 00:00

Same fix worked for me!

• 

25K Posts

January 15th, 2021 08:00

Hi
Unfortunately, we haven't received a response from your end
We'll be archiving the case from our end.
Feel free to drop a message at your convenience to reopen the case.
We'll be glad to assist you.
-Supriya

5 Posts

January 27th, 2021 04:00

I can confirm that:

1. Opening the back cover,  disconnecting the battery, pressing the power button for 20+ seconds, followed by going to eat lunch for 20 minutes and then reconnecting everything, did in fact bring me back both wifi and bluetooth.

2. The purpose of the "eat lunch" step is two-fold: it is possible that the laptop needs to be without power for some time in order to reset the wireless bluetooth+wifi card; and/but it is CERTAIN that eating something can help calm one's frustration at the RIDICULOUS negligence of Dell in releasing such an expensive product with such a problem.

I don't know if it's called "Killer" wifi because that's what the wifi did to my day, or because that's what I'd like to do to the engineers who designed it. Either way, may i suggest that it would be more truly descriptive of the technology and feature if Dell would rename it as "Suicidal Wifi."

Scott

5 Posts

January 27th, 2021 16:00

This is very upsetting: the card disappeared again about 6 hours after i "fixed" the issue.

I HATE the thought that I'm supposed to open the laptop to unplug the battery several times/day.

Feel, can you please advise? Just awful

20 Posts

April 18th, 2021 22:00

Has your problem solved?

1 Message

April 24th, 2021 00:00

I confirm my issue was solved by unscrewing the case, unplugging the battery wire for 30 seconds and reconnecting it.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2021 10:00

I can confirm this issue happens on Ubuntu and Windows. I usually have to reboot 5-10 times for it to start working. Should not be happening given the very high price tag.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2021 08:00

Same issue. Wifi card dissapeared and only way to solve it was to unplug the battery.

Before that I tried to reinstall the drivers, but not compatible hardware was available.

How long takes for Dell engineers to solve this bios/hardware issue?

No Events found!