Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2020 10:00

XPS 15 9500 Lid not staying closed

I just received my XPS 15 9500 and if the laptop is tilted back even slightly, the lid doesn't stay closed and pops up about 1/2". Has anyone else had this problem?

• 

25.1K Posts

July 1st, 2020 13:00

Thank you! We have received the required details.

Update = We have escalated the complaint to our XPS product team. Below is their response =

This is working as designed. The hinge structure is fine tuned as to support the one handed open feature. Plus, the 15” panel is heavier, therefore the customer may feel the hinge looser than the legacy XPS generation.

1 Message

July 14th, 2020 23:00

I’m having the same issue. What was the fix?

2 Posts

July 16th, 2020 13:00

Also received my dell xps 9500 and have the same problem as you do.

Did you ever find a solution or did you have to return the unit? 

2 Posts

August 5th, 2020 02:00

I have the same problem. How can i solve it?

272 Posts

August 5th, 2020 02:00

This hinge issue is prominent with the XPS 15 series of laptops.

I believe it exists because of poor design and Quality control methods used while manufacturing the laptop.

The only solution is for Dell to recall all the laptop models that have a hinge issue and provide the customers with tough and long-lasting products.

2 Posts

August 5th, 2020 05:00

Are you gonig to contact everyone of us in private?

1 Message

August 19th, 2020 04:00

Hi! I'm experiencing the same issue with my unit. Any fix for this issue?

52 Posts

August 19th, 2020 13:00

I also raised this with Dell and formally got a response from them stating this is as per design.  It is to aid one handed opening of the lid.  Compare this to a Latitude which does not do it as I have and it is quite obvious the whole laptop lifts up with the lid so if this is indeed the case, it works.

15 Posts

August 19th, 2020 13:00

mine as well - kinda weird, but ultimately i'm only storing my laptop upright every now and then.  I suppose may be more problematic once COVID travel restrictions lift again and I travel more.

1 Message

August 21st, 2020 11:00

I have the same issue. First I had the problem with wobbly track pad. Dell replaced the laptop after much back and forth conversation with customer and technical service. And then they sent a laptop with this issue - where the lid does not closes completely. I sent the laptop back to the Dell repair center. They replaced the LCD assembly. They kept the laptop for almost 20 days in their repair center. I got the laptop back today. The problem is still there. I don't know what they fixed. I am contacting Dell again. I paid about $2400 for this machine just to have issues for months. I regret not going with Apple after paying this much of money.

1 Message

October 6th, 2020 04:00

Exactly the same problems i'm experiencing too, i bought the first xps 15 halfway august, with light bleed on the screen, and a trackpad that doesnt register some of the clicks, but i didnt have a wobbly trackpad, now i got a refund and bought the second one. but after recieving it today ( 6th of october) its even worse! 

the screen doesnt close properly like the previous one, it wobbles up and down of i hold it in my hands like its curved or something and not completely flat, also the trackpad appears to be loose and wobbles, and doesnt register clicks sometimes, the only upside is that the light bleed through the screen is gone, i'm really disapointed that i'm a month behind on school work because it takes 3/4 weeks to get a new one if i send it back again.

i cant believe they treat customers this way.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2020 12:00

Also having this problem.  Hope to hear if there is a resolution.

1 Message

November 16th, 2020 08:00

I also have the same issue. The laptop lid opens on tilting. Kindly help me with this

13 Posts

November 18th, 2020 23:00

I am having this same issue. I have been dealing with Dell since July on issues with this laptop. My original laptop had a trackpad issue where the left click would not work almost at all and would frequently release the click at random making it nearly unusable. After just a week of ownership I got a support case started up to get the touchpad replaced. The parts were back-ordered for more than 3 weeks.

Once the parts finally came in and the technician came to replace the touchpad, he improperly assembled the laptop and I had to call him back TWICE to correct issues. Once it was not correctly assembled, then I had to call him back again because the wireless card was no longer working. Turns out he installed the antenna incorrectly. In the end he ended up damaging both the wireless card/antenna and the speakers; pretty difficult to use a laptop without a wireless internet connection.

After this it took me another 2 weeks to get a replacement approved for the unit that the Dell technician broke; they first told me I would need to ask the retailer for a replacement! Once I finally got the replacement approved, it took nearly an additional 4 weeks to get the replacement.

Finally the replacement unit that I'm typing on right now is exhibiting the issues with the screen not staying closed when vertical (as you would store it in a laptop bag for travel) and the touchpad has started to wobble and sometimes does not register clicks!

Communication has been terrible from customer service this whole time spending hours upon hours on the phone being transferred from department to department with no one willing to take responsibility for the situation. Very very frustrating for a "premium" laptop that cost well over $2,000.

November 19th, 2020 16:00

That's Dell for ya. I returned my 9500 even through it was working properly and is a solid computer. After Apple's release of the revolutionary M1 I decided within the 30 day window it's not worth the $3,600 CAD I paid for it, considering Apple's is cheaper and more efficient than Intel by a factor of 3-4x. I don't want this 75W power sucking CPU when Apple's does the same at just 15W.

Intel is stuck on 14 nm while Apple's been using TSCM's fabrication process to get all the way down to 5nm. Maybe in a few years Intel, if your stock will hold out that long.

No Events found!