Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2020 11:00

XPS 15 9500 and U4320Q monitor - USB C Power Delivery

Hi,

I think I might know the answer to this question, but I would like to confirm. 

I'm set to purchase the U4320Q monitor that includes USB C input; however, part of my intention is to use a single USB C cable to deliver video and receive power to the laptop. I read in the tech specs that the monitor only delivers 90 watts of power and ofcourse the full power of the XPS requires 130 watts. 

Will the laptop be able to run with full performance in this configuration (and maintain enough power to make it through a day of work?)

Is an alternative available outside of using the power adapter that came with the laptop?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 4th, 2020 15:00

@wkrinsky  XPS 15 9500 systems that do NOT have an NVIDIA GPU are only designed for 90W, so if you have an Intel-only configuration, you would be fine.  But otherwise, if your system is designed for 130W, then no you're not going to be able to run it at full performance from a 90W source -- otherwise Dell wouldn't have needed to design the system for 130W.  The symptoms you're most likely to encounter are slower battery charging and throttled CPU and GPU.  The system would be unlikely to drain its battery while connected to that source, because most systems will throttle performance in that situation in order to operate "sustainably" rather than operate in a way that would cause them to potentially die even while connected to power.  That said, there are some other systems -- like the XPS 17 9700 and certain gaming systems -- that use "Dell Hybrid Power", where the system actually IS designed to potentially drain the battery even while on AC power during heavy load periods.  I think that's a lame design and that Dell should have simply shipped the system with the power source it requires rather than using an undersized power source and using the battery to pick up the slack when needed.  That imposes needless wear on the battery, and if you have a long-running intensive task, then your system will eventually throttle if you drain your battery low enough, AND you might end up with practically no remaining battery life whenever you do finally disconnect from the power source.

Anyway, in terms of a solution, the only options are either Dell's 130W power source or one of Dell's docks that are rated for providing 130W over USB-C/TB3.  Since you're dealing with an XPS 15 9500 and also a 4K 60 Hz display, the only dock that would provide 130W and allow 4K 60 Hz output from that system is the Dell WD19TB.  The regular WD19 can also provide 130W if you order the version that comes with a 180W power source (rather than the 130W version that only passes through 90W), but it can only support a single 4K 60 Hz display when connected to a system that supports DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 over USB-C, and the XPS 15 9500 only supports DP 1.2/HBR2.  (The specs page that as of this writing claims DP 1.4 support is available from the non-Thunderbolt port on the right of the system is incorrect.)  By comparison, since the WD19TB uses Thunderbolt 3 rather than USB-C, it would allow you to run dual 4K 60 Hz displays if you wanted.  But as of this writing, Dell doesn't have any USB-C displays that provide up to 130W.  And since 130W is above the 100W max of the official USB Power Delivery spec, you're not likely to find 130W support on any non-Dell products at all.  Dell did something proprietary on some of their systems, docks, and power adapters to support 130W over USB-C/TB3.

1 Message

December 29th, 2020 17:00

I just got an XPS 15 9500 (i7-10875H, GTX 1650 Ti) and a U2421E monitor and was similarly concerned about the charging functionality. My laptop came with a 130W power adapter and the monitor is rated for 90W power output via usb-c, but so far so good. I tested the charging rate of the monitor vs the laptop power adapter and they were the same in a certain context. My battery happened to be at 43%, I had minimal apps open, and I plugged in the power adapter and hovered over the battery icon; it read "1hr 16min to full charge". I unplugged the power adapter and connected the laptop to the monitor (usb-c) and after a minute it also said " 1hr 16min to full charge", despite a consistent yellow warning symbol on the battery icon that said "slow charger". So perhaps under light use the monitor will be sufficient to charge the laptop at the same rate as the power adapter can.

When connected via usb-c to the monitor, if you click on the battery icon it will show you a "power mode" slider, with one end being best performance, and the other being best battery life. I had it on "best performance" and didn't notice a difference under light use. that may all change with heavy use (photo/video editing, rendering, gaming, etc.) btw the video, ethernet and any usb peripheral worked great over usb-c. i tried daisy chaining the u2421e to a P2417H monitor but it didn't work, not sure if the p24 supports daisy chaining though.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 29th, 2020 23:00

@fatslice  90W may be fine for workloads that don't involve the NVIDIA GPU, in fact the XPS 15 9500 configurations that don't include an NVIDIA GPU come with 90W power supplies.  But if you start using that GPU, especially if you're also trying to charge the battery at the same time, you might run into the limitations of that 30% power shortfall.  In terms of daisy chaining, I would expect the P2417H to work just fine at the end of a daisy chain since the display at the end of the daisy chain doesn't have to support daisy chaining at all.  It only needs to support DisplayPort 1.1a, and even DisplayPort 1.2 was well established long before 2017, which is the "model year" of the P2417H.  Did you enable MST on the U2421E?  And are you using a regular DisplayPort cable to connect the two displays rather than something like DisplayPort to HDMI?

13 Posts

July 29th, 2022 17:00

@jphughan 
Hello, thank you for really nice explanation of this topic.

I have XPS 15 (9520) with nvidia GPU and 130W charger. And Iam awaiting shipping of the DELL U3223QE monitor with 90W power delivery. I would like to connect them just with the provided usb-c cable. I find this solution ellegant and i dont need to unpack my charger from my backpack.

''The symptoms you're most likely to encounter are slower battery charging and throttled CPU and GPU.''

Can you please explain further? Or main question, is it safe to use the XPS 15 connected to the U3223QE 90W? Will this setup not damage the battery or any other parts in the long run?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 29th, 2022 17:00

@Jenu24  Glad you've found my explanation useful.  In terms of further explanation, using a display that provides 90W to the attached system to drive a laptop designed for 130W won't damage anything.  But your battery might not charge as quickly as it otherwise would, and/or it might perform more slowly than it would if you had a 130W power source connected.  The latter is more likely if you're performing tasks that rely on the GPU, such as playing games, rendering video, mining cryptocurrency, or running any other applications that leverage the GPU's computational abilities.  But at the end of the day, the XPS 15 with NVIDIA GPU was designed for a 130W power budget, and you're planning to use it with a power source that only provides 70% of that power budget.  As in the financial world, if you have a budget that plans to spend/consume more resources than are actually available to be spent/consumed, then cuts may need to be made in order to operate within the confines of that reduced level of resources.  Whether those cuts in terms of battery charging speed and performance are acceptable to you in exchange for the convenience of a single cable solution without having to spend more on a full docking station (which would allow 130W power delivery and single cable connectivity) is up to you.

13 Posts

July 29th, 2022 18:00

@jphughan 
Thanks for lightning fast response

Ok, when its safe i feel comfortable now to run some tests and benchmarks. I will test 90W vs 130W in real aplications and benchmarks. I work a lot with graphic design and animations. I use nvidia cuda acceleration in adobe engines for example.

I noticed the XPS 15 gets quite hot during rendering in media encoder (72 celsius on GPU). Maybe i am fine having less performance, until i dont see real lagging or significant drop in performance.

Dock is also a solution, but they are quite expensive, and i already bought an Ultrasharp monitor with USB-C Hub Monitor in the name

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 29th, 2022 18:00

@Jenu24  Well temperatures are another consideration. The XPS 15 for multiple generations has been unable to sustain peak performance over a sustained period of time because its slim and light ultrabook-style chassis can’t fit a cooling system capable of cooling the mid-grade components packed into it. I guess it’s possible that this has improved with newer models, but I would be surprised. I had an XPS 15 9530 (launched in 2013) and I logged both temperature and running clock speed of the CPU and GPU, and it was clear as day what happened.  As soon as one of those components hit a certain temp, its maximum clock dropped pretty drastically until temps dropped to a certain lower temp, and that cycle would repeat. So if you do a lot of graphic design and CUDA work, that might become an annoyance, although at that point your only option would be to buy something with a heavier, chunkier chassis that can fit a more robust cooling solution, like an Alienware system or a Precision 7000 Series system.  But those have even higher power budgets.

13 Posts

July 30th, 2022 03:00

@jphughan  Ok, thanks. So thats why i see 90W as a compromise for regular use. And when i render a video for example it will take 3 minutes instead of 2 minutes (on full 130W) iam fine with it. Considering that the machine will not overheat and throttle performacne anyway. But these all are just my speculations, when my Ultrasharp arives i will test it.

My knowledge in electric topics is very basic. Please can you enlighten me in this simple question?

XPS power variants:

charge 130W = 20V * 6.5A

charger 90W = 20V * 4.5A

batery ?W = 11.4V * ?A

I ask because, isee a little noticable difference in performance when the XPS is pluged in charger VS on battery.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 30th, 2022 07:00

@Jenu24  Unfortunately I can’t speak to that spec of the battery, but it is fairly common for laptop performance to be slightly lower on battery than AC power. Less common and not used on the XPS 15 (though used on the XPS 17) is a design whereby the battery is used as an auxiliary power source even while the laptop is connected to AC, meaning your battery can drain while connected to power under sustained heavy loads, or throttle if the battery is too low to allow this. Dell calls this “Dell Hybrid Power”. I call it shipping a system with an undersized power adapter.

13 Posts

August 7th, 2022 10:00

@jphughan  Hello, my new UltraSharp U3223QE has arrived. My first quick tests: original 130W charger vs 90W power delivery from monitor.

CinebenchR20

130W: 5221 pts

90W: 5124 pts

3DMARK timespy:

90W: 5044 / graphics 4584 / CPU 11694

130W: 5043 / graphics 4581 / CPU 11804

I will try to use this XPS 15 (9520) only connected to the monitor with power delivery. I turned off warning messages in bios and windows 11.

1 Message

August 25th, 2022 14:00

Yes, it worked for me. Glad to find it here. I already book for a massage because of this ongoing issue LOL 

1 Message

January 1st, 2024 19:39

@Jenu24​ still good?

No Events found!