Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9500, battery indicator LED not working

I just had my palm rest and touchpad replaced and got it back two days ago. I noticed that the small light bar doesn't light up anymore when charging. Could it be possible that whoever worked on my laptop forgot to reconnect the LEDs somehow? If so, would I be able to fix this myself? I really don't want to wait another 12 or so days until I get my machine back.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2022 06:00

I just bought a replacement for my palmrest today and I noticed the difference. The issue is that the original laptop's palmrest comes with the charging indicator but the replacements sold on the market (and the one Dell obviously uses) doesn't come with the charging indicator. You essentially need to remove it from the original laptop then plug it into the replacement palmrest. IMG_0848.jpg

Nothing here in the replacementNothing here in the replacement

• 

25K Posts

October 29th, 2020 23:00

Front charge/status LED

AC adapter plugged in
- Fully charged LED is Off
- Not fully charged LED is White

AC adapter not plugged in
- 11-100% charged LED is Off
- 10% or less charged LED is Amber

26 Posts

November 1st, 2020 11:00

Chances are the front battery LED's are working but are blocked by wire when the unit was being worked on.  Open up your 9500 and move the wire out of the way.  I had a partial LED display that was easily fixed by moving the wire.

November 17th, 2020 15:00

Did this work? I opened mine up and I don’t think mine even has a spot for an LED light. Like my replacement doesn’t even have a spot for a light. So Dell gave me a cheap fake keyboard replacement. Also after mine laptop was worked on the hinges on my laptop are not working because when I hold my laptop vertically it pops open by itself. Like there are no magnets holding it together. 

4 Posts

November 19th, 2020 07:00

I couldn't fix the battery LED myself. I had the hinge problem from the beginning. I sent it in again over two weeks ago and should be getting it back tomorrow. I hope they finally fixed my 2500€ laptop that shouldn't even have had those problems to begin with... I'll post an update after I get it and check everyhing.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2021 21:00

I had this happen too. Due to other issues I ended up having I had to send unit off to the depot in Texas for repair where they fix all problems with your device. They fixed the issue I sent it in for and a few others that I hadn't mentioned, but the light still doesn't turn on. Our of curiosity I grabbed a t5 screwdriver and popped the back panel off my laptop and it doesn't even look like there is a lightbulb there that could turn on.

May 16th, 2021 09:00

I’m sorry that you have to hear this, but my technician completely forgot to install this and I could possibly be the same with yours. One way to know if they did is to see if any sort of light comes out of that LED strip. If you really want to check it is pretty easy and you don’t have to do much. 

1 Message

May 16th, 2021 09:00

I have the same issue after a Dell technician replaced the palmrest assembly.

Does removing the cover and fixing the wires help? 

I'd love to know ASAP. 

Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 25th, 2022 08:00

@oluwadee wrote:

I just bought a replacement for my palmrest today and I noticed the difference. The issue is that the original laptop's palmrest comes with the charging indicator but the replacements sold on the market (and the one Dell obviously uses) doesn't come with the charging indicator. You essentially need to remove it from the original laptop then plug it into the replacement palmrest. 

Thanks.

This explanation fits with the stories of customers above. I don't mean to "stir the pot" but personally, I think those people above should raise the issue with Dell for resolution. 

That's embarrassing for Dell's technicians (or any technician) that missed that. 

2 Posts

September 25th, 2022 08:00

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and didn't want a prolonged resolution as I need the laptop urgently. It's really quite painful though. The laptop cost me so much money.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 25th, 2022 10:00

@oluwadee wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and didn't want a prolonged resolution as I need the laptop urgently. It's really quite painful though. The laptop cost me so much money.

Sorry, no ... I meant the previous owners who posted above.

Sounds like you did what was required to protect your investment in the laptop. You obviously have the appropriate technical skills to pull-off such a repair. 

No Events found!