XPS

Last reply by 12-29-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 15 9500, color banding

Is anybody else struggling with a new XPS 15 9500 and the quality of the display drivers?

I picked one up for work and noticed instantly that the display had real problems with darker color gradients. At first I assumed that OS was running at a low bit depth but after checking several times, it was not the issue as the OS was running at 32-bit color depth.

This is a problem for me as I editing photos on this laptop from time to time and need the color reproduction to be accurate.

Replies (39)

Hi!

I have replied via private note.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Hi @DELL-Cares @topg,

In my case, after uninstalling Dell PremierColor app and Restore to Original Colors in Intel Graphics Command Center issue is not resolved. 

I've updated to latest Intel UHD drivers and also update the Windows,

It it clear that there is some problem(hardware/software) with Dell screen.

Yes @Pete Slater , you are right.. same here

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I was dealing with the same issue, the only fix I found was to have the hdr on whenever I watch videos or edit photos. This took away most, if not all, of the color banding issue. To turn it on just go to Settings -> System -> Display -> and the turn the "use HDR" toggle on. If it doesn't work initially, try doing it when your laptop is plugged in. Although, my laptop did run hot and had the fans running pretty loud. Hope this helps at all 

I've been dealing with this since I purchased my computer a year ago. It is a real problem considering I bought this computer to work on color accurate work since it was advertised as color precise.  It has caused me more problems than I would like to say here when it comes to color work.   I agree this is a Dell problem and should be solved as a Dell problem.  To me it proves it is a Dell problem when I reset the color profile in intel graphics command center.  The color is fine then.  If I touch anything in Dell PremierColor it switches to bad banding color especially in the darks.

Sorry to know that. Would you like to be connected to a technician?

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

I have problem with colors on my XPS 15 9560 too, but since 2-3 weeks ago after update INTEL GPU, I wrote to Dell Support, but if my warranty is ended, they can't help me. I checked this community and I see that I am not alone with this problem, so now I'm wondering if I should wait for some update of driver or Premier Color app or do what to get normal color? Because now it's too much colorful (especially red, orange)

Any answer from people of Dell? 

Hello @DELL-Cares 

is there any update on this color banding issue?
I tried the suggested solution, but as soon as I click the "restore to original colours" in the Intel Graphics Center, my screen turns black and doesn't show anything any more (it is on but showing blank). After this, the only way to reset it is to connect a second monitor to see and open the Dell PremierColor -> then the screen comes back to life. The colour banding of dark images stays horrible, regardless of the Dell PremierColor app running or not. It is a shame in this price segment, an update fix has to come from Dell.

Please let me know about any further solutions!

Welcome to Dell Social Media Support for Technical and Post Sales queries.

Please Direct message us the Service Tag / Express Service code in the text format for which you need assistance.

Refer the below link to find the Service Tag: 

dell.to/2KwgYVt

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor