Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9500 randomly freezing (known issue)

Hey guys, I got my xps 15 couple days ago and I have been having a freezing issue that happens in many situations including when I was using eclipse or when I was using the internet browser or even when I walked out for 5min and came back to the computer which wasn't doing anything and every time it seems like the freeze is actually only visually because if you are watching something for example you can still hear the audio in the background. what I found that if u press the sleep bottom and press it again monitor turns of and turns back on again and when I do this it goes back to normal and its fixes it but this is super annoying and I never had such an issue with any computer.

also in this link, there are other people which they have xps 9500 and they all have the same issue. I have a replacement device on the way but Im really worried that one might have the same issue since this seems to be a known issue and many people are suffering from this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/hch4f4/dell_xps_15_9500_screen_freezing/

So far I tried doing a clean install on windows, uninstalling Nvidia graphic driver, intel graphic driver uninstalling and testing different versions and testing dell monitor driver and trying to remove it and going back to windows generic but so far nothing has worked.If someone knows a solution please  help me

1 Message

June 26th, 2020 15:00

I had this problem before on the XPS 9500 base model and solved it using this method:

This is for Intel integrated graphics models:

Go to the "Intel Graphics Command Center" and select the icon on the left bar with the four squares - should be called system

Go to the power tab and turn off Panel Self Refresh (make sure it is for both on battery and while plugged in)

Let me know if this helps!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2020 09:00

Turn off the panel self refresh in both Plugged-In tab and On-Battery tab.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2020 14:00

Yes! This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing too! I've let the loops in 3d demos for HOURS and it's been fine, but several times now Google Meet and Discord video chat, I've had the entire screen freeze, but can still hear audio. I've found that if I close the lid and open it again everything starts working, so I'm glad it's at least not a hard freeze. The fact that others are getting this gives me hope it's a resolvable problem, because otherwise I'm really liking this thing. It need to be reliable though, so if there is no solution found I will have to send it back and using it for work and remote work away from my desk was one of my main reasons for getting it.

18 Posts

June 25th, 2020 18:00

same problem in XPS 13 9300 too. I have reported the problem to Dell for over 1 month. no resolution and the helpdesk is so useless. The CS is also bad as they still cannot confirm me the replacement schedule after I requested to replace it for over 1 week.

June 26th, 2020 05:00

In less than 24 hrs owning the xps15, I've hard reboot it 3 times already. The screen freezes even when I'm not doing much at all. Please do not make me regret making a shift from Mac.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2020 06:00

Honestly I had many dell and alienware laptops and I never had any issue and since this seems to be happening for everyone who has xps 9500 I think it has to be a software issue and I hope they fix it right away. I'm trying everything to report this issue to dell engineers in North America instead of talking to tech support in India which most of the time they don't do anything other than running the dell support app and checking diagnosis and driver update

16 Posts

June 26th, 2020 09:00

Same problem here with an XPS 15 9500. How do I ask for a replacement laptop? Are you all asking for a replacement?

June 27th, 2020 07:00

Thank you, @xwang21, this seems to have solved the problem. But will need further 'tests' to see if it really takes care of the problem on my laptop. Before this, I've tried updating drivers, updating bios and it still froze. It even froze when the bios was updating, that gave me quite a scare. It did well to recover itself a good 10-15 mins after.  

4 Posts

Hey xwang21,

I tried this and since last night I still didn't have any freezing so so far it seems like its working. I have to do more test today on it so I can confirm that its gone completely but so far looks promising computer was on all night and didn't freeze. Thanks alot for your help

• 

25K Posts

We have sent you a private message. Please check you inbox.

9 Posts

June 27th, 2020 12:00

I'm definitely going to try that setting also, but Intel did just release an updated drive yesterday (6/26/2020) - maybe that will also help the situation!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29674/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

Thanks all. I wish this new expensive device didn't have these teething issues but now that I have my trackpad working properly too, I'm really enjoying using this. Aaaannnd my trackpad just stopped responding for about 10 seconds lol...well, getting there.

• 

25K Posts

June 27th, 2020 12:00

Thank you for keeping us posted. We will look forward to your response. 

4 Posts

June 27th, 2020 14:00

Just happened again while I was making my last post

4 Posts

June 27th, 2020 14:00

Ive only had the 9500 laptop a couple days, but I also have this issue happen 4 times. Like most others, I can still hear audio and if I close and open the lid it comes back like nothing ever happened. Also if I'm on battery power and put the laptop to sleep it takes the screen forever to come back in, over a minute sometimes. 

• 

109 Posts

June 27th, 2020 15:00

We have sent you a private message. Please check your inbox. 

No Events found!