Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9500 randomly freezing (known issue)

Hey guys, I got my xps 15 couple days ago and I have been having a freezing issue that happens in many situations including when I was using eclipse or when I was using the internet browser or even when I walked out for 5min and came back to the computer which wasn't doing anything and every time it seems like the freeze is actually only visually because if you are watching something for example you can still hear the audio in the background. what I found that if u press the sleep bottom and press it again monitor turns of and turns back on again and when I do this it goes back to normal and its fixes it but this is super annoying and I never had such an issue with any computer.

also in this link, there are other people which they have xps 9500 and they all have the same issue. I have a replacement device on the way but Im really worried that one might have the same issue since this seems to be a known issue and many people are suffering from this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/hch4f4/dell_xps_15_9500_screen_freezing/

So far I tried doing a clean install on windows, uninstalling Nvidia graphic driver, intel graphic driver uninstalling and testing different versions and testing dell monitor driver and trying to remove it and going back to windows generic but so far nothing has worked.If someone knows a solution please  help me

4 Posts

June 27th, 2020 17:00

No message received

• 

109 Posts

June 27th, 2020 19:00

Could you send us a private message with the registered owner's name of the computer, email address, and current region located?

June 28th, 2020 04:00

I have the same Problem on my brand new XPS 9500. Is there any solution yet?

9 Posts

June 28th, 2020 13:00

So far so good - latest Intel driver + disabling that Intel active redraw power management setting (might be off on the name I'm not looking at it right now...it's the setting someone previous mentioned) seems to be keeping it under check. Hopefully Dell can continue to update the official Dell driver for those getting auto updates to correct the problem for them too. 

4 Posts

June 28th, 2020 14:00

So far I'm the same as hoojib. Been testing for about 20 hours with no freezes. Fingers crossed it continues. 

18 Posts

June 28th, 2020 18:00

call the hotline. They will request you to do a series of useless troubleshooting first which will take you at least 1-2 weeks to "play" with them back and forth. 

Honestly, I do not have any hope on the replacement machine as I can see a lot of complaints on the new XPS series (yes, 9300, 9500 and 9700) in different forums. I am regret and strongly suggest you ask for refund if you have other choice. 

1 Message

June 30th, 2020 01:00

I have been having random freezing issues as well. I made sure to update everything as well as run a full diagnostics check and nothing came up. Is there anyway I can fix this?

1 Message

July 9th, 2020 05:00

I am facing a similar problem with the XPS 1500. And it didn't solved by reinstalling the Intel graphics driver or changing the Intel settings. At the moment, I downgraded the BIOS to version 1.1.3 and the problem seems to have been resolved.

7 Posts

July 11th, 2020 07:00

i managed to get 2 errors in the event log after a freeze.

Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650s 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (201D2W) : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

then

The Intel(R) Management Engine Interface is being disabled.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2020 17:00

How has your 9500 been with this fix @xy1408 ?

4 Posts

July 11th, 2020 17:00

Yes, I can confirm issue has been fixed with this method.

You have to turn off "Panel Self Refresh" from the intel command center. I haven't had any freezing for past couple weeks and before that, it used to happen a couple of times of the day so I can confirm that this will fix and hopefully intel will send out new update so this bug would be fixed

7 Posts

July 12th, 2020 00:00

mine only freezes when using egpu. uninstalling all the dell stuff helps. just using the drivers. i also disabled the built in nvidia gpu. no reason to have 3 gpus going. 

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 21:00

I have the xps 9500 but cannot find installed the Intel graphics command center. I can only see Nvidia software...

• 

25.1K Posts

July 25th, 2020 21:00

Hi,

Hope you're doing good.

I didn't hear from you. I will be archiving the conversation from my end. Do reach out to us at your convenience.

-Gautam.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2020 01:00

I've got my xps15 9500 a week ago and I'm experiencing the same issue and trying this solution. I'll let you know if it works.

I wand to add, that I'm using the notebook connected to an external monitor and, when freeze occours, the secondary display is not affected by the issue. So I think the issue is something related to the integrated monitor (SHP14D1 in my case). Wondering if who got the 4k display has the same problem

No Events found!