Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

11 Posts

May 9th, 2022 01:00

XPS 15 9500 wakes up from sleep every 4 minutes

Dear Community,

on my XPS 15 9500 I am experiencing a strange pattern while the laptop is in sleep / hibernated.

I close the lid to put it into sleep, but on the connected external screen the white DELL logo appears after some time, with several "loading circle" icons cloned besides. The cooling fans also start to work, it looks like some boot process that wakes the machine up from sleep. After about ten seconds the DELL logo gets cloned for a blink of an eye aswell and then everything dissapears - the laptop goes back to sleep again.

I could observe, this phenomenon repeats itself every 3 min 55 sec - shortly waking up, loading, then going to sleep again.

It doesn't effect any processes that were paused by putting the laptop to sleep, but it is quite annoying, as the screen lights up the room every 4 minutes...

Here is a photo of what is appearing. Do you have any suggestions how to stop this?

IMG_20220315_005621_2.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 9th, 2022 11:00

This will require some R&D as one of the app or device causes this behavior

1. Close running applications one by one : From system tray and Task manager

2. Disconnect external peripherals one by one. 

You will find your culprit

11 Posts

May 18th, 2022 09:00

I tried it with no apps running and it is the same, no difference. (of course there are hundreds of background tasks in the task manager shown, I close the ones I could identify as well..)

But I noticed that it only occurs when the laptop screen is closed down (see photo in first post). If I only press the Startup/Shutdown button to make it sleep and leave the lid open, the things doesn't appear...

1 Rookie

• 

223 Posts

May 18th, 2022 09:00

Hi

History tells us (and I can't find the article) that a product from a Leading A/V vendor could cause that.

Checking for updates etc.

However history is written by the winners, and I am a Lo.....

Try a dos command

C:\>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 10:30:25 on 19/05/2022.
Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\HP\HP Print Scan Doctor\Printer Health Monitor' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 10:30:25 on 19/05/2022.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Event Viewer may give clues ....

11 Posts

May 18th, 2022 14:00

Actually I don't have that wake timer option...

Bohannon29_0-1652909349568.png

Looking at the different settings for lid closing / power button, it seems like it is only occuring in hibernation and not in sleep.

I can live with the option to always put it into sleep instead of hibernation, but sometimes I have to rely on a full battery when waking it up again..

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

Dont have an XPS 9500 handy , will have to check tomorrow in the office. 

In control panel do you have these options. Try disabling wake timer

XPS_Man_0-1652908566734.png

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

CMD as admin 

powercfg/lastwake 

Also try to disable connected standby mode: These 2 command one by one in CMD admin

powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Once these commands are done use following command to check if it;s completed 

Powercfg -a

Output should say network : disconnected

11 Posts

Thanks for the idea.

For the -lastwake command I get following results:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Wake Timer
Owner: [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

I executed both commands you gave and checked if completed: yes, disconnected:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is disabled by policy.

But still nothing changed, after closing the lid the same thing appears again...

3 Posts

June 5th, 2023 07:00

I had the same problem. I found the solution on these boards, but had to figure out the name changes to the properties on the advanced tab:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click on "Network and Sharing Center"
  3. Click on "Change adapter settings"
  4. Right-click on the network adapter you are using (for me it's Wi-Fi), and select "Properties" at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
  5. Click on "Configure" 
  6. Select "Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect" property and change the value to "Enabled"
  7. Click OK.
No Events found!