Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2021 01:00

XPS 15 9510 BIOS Update failed is causing issues

Hello,

One of the first things I did after opening my laptop was run the Dell Command Update program to check if I have any updates, sure enough there were a few, including a critical BIOS one. I ran the updates and the thing that failed during flashing was the Intel Tbt retimer.

I ran the update twice, same problem. Even tried to update after downloading the BIOS update online and the laptop just froze for half an hour. I had to shut it down from the button. When I go into BIOS Event Log I have two logs that say Alert! Firmware update is failed. At that point I decided to give up and wait for the next update.

My main issue now is that the battery gets drained randomly, even when I shut down the laptop completely. It used to happen even when it was plugged in but changing the battery settings from adaptive to primarily AC use seems to have fixed that. Now I only get the issue when the laptop is unplugged. Another weird issue is that I don't see the Dell DA20 Adapter in the Thunderbolt Control Center. Also if I want to run the Dell Command Update now it just crashes and I have to repair it, then it starts, says completing update. After that it says update completed but if I want to run it again, same issue, crash->repair->updating->update complete. 

I also tried reinstalling some drivers from the device manager but without any success. Can you let me know what I can do to fix the battery issue at least ? 

Thanks!

4 Posts

January 24th, 2022 06:00

I had the same issue with the TbT Retimer in a Dell XPS.  Each Thunderbolt (USB-C) port has a Retimer to boost signals.  If anything other than a power adapter is plugged in to one of these ports, it prevents the updating of the Retimer firmware.  A docking station will also prevent the updating.  I had an external screen plugged in which also delivered power, so I removed it and used a power adapter, then I had no more problems.

August 19th, 2022 18:00

I was having trouble updating. It turns out that the BIOS installer says it will install after reboot, but ONLY IF YOU HIT THE REBOOT BUTTON IN THE INSTALLER.  That button was hidden (needed to scroll down).  It became apparent when I happened to make the installer full screen.

• 

25K Posts

August 7th, 2021 01:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

81 Posts

August 8th, 2021 17:00

Don't know if this would help you: I had similar (TBT retimer) update failures when I flushed the BIOS while the power was delivered via WD19TB dock. When I unplugged the laptop from the dock and used a basic power supply, it worked fine...

3 Posts

August 8th, 2021 22:00

Thanks for the suggestion but I used a basic power supply from the start.

1 Message

April 20th, 2022 10:00

I just had the same TBT Retimer failure with the 1.9.0 update, which I presume was because I had a monitor attached to the second Thunderbolt port. I've downloaded the 1.9.0 update manually as Dell Update now thinks it's up-to-date.

Is it ok to just run the whole BIOS update again even though only one step failed and the rest of the update succeeded?

4 Posts

August 14th, 2022 14:00

I have the same problem
Are there any solutions? 
Intel Tbt retimer doesn't want to update(((

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 14th, 2022 18:00

@y-k wrote:

I have the same problem
Are there any solutions? 
Intel Tbt retimer doesn't want to update(((

What exact model do you have? What Firmware is currently on the laptop, and what file are you trying to install now?

In rare occasions when this happens, there is a secret way to "force" the firmware onto the machine. If your machine is still under warranty, I suggest you let Dell Support walk you though it.

If out of warranty (and you are brave enough to try it) you can PM me and I will tell you how (at your own risk).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 14th, 2022 18:00

@DMW235 wrote:

Is it ok to just run the whole BIOS update again even though only one step failed and the rest of the update succeeded?

Yes, it is.

And a general tip to everyone with these recent XPS laptops (released over the past few years) ...

If you want the firmware to install and update the laptop properly (including all the included sub-components)
I suggest take a moment and do it this way (it always works for me).

- Connect the supplied (Dell genuine) AC-Adapter directly to the laptop
- Temporarily remove all other USB devices.
- Freshly boot the laptop and wait for everything to load (give it a minute or so).
- Download the Firmware updater-file from Dell Support area. I like to install them all, in order (I don't skip any).
- Go to File-Properties, and Un-Block the downloaded installer file.
- Execute the file. Click the Update-Button (all included firmwares will write to UEFI-Firmware staging-area)
- After everything loads/writes, click the Restart-Button.
- The laptop will reboot into UEFI-Environment (where it then processes any pending Firmware updates).
- I like to watch for individual progress messages. You should also get a green success message at the very end.
- Be sure machine initially reboots properly.
- I like to run msinfo32 and check BIOS version.
- I like to look in Control Panel/Device Manager , and sure it is still “clean” (all devices still detected and no errors).

4 Posts

August 15th, 2022 00:00

xps 13 9310 2in1, bios version - 2.12.0, current version intel tbt retimer - 2.0.13, new version intel tbt retimer - 2.0.22.
during updating, I got Intel TBT Retimer Update Failed.
all components are updated except for Intel TBT Retimer((

3 Posts

August 15th, 2022 03:00

For me what fixed it in the end was to unplug everything except for the power adapter from the laptop before starting the update.

40 Posts

August 15th, 2022 15:00

This is interesting.  Evidently these problems are not faced while upgrading each and every machine.  I purchased my XPS 9510 in January of this year.  I wanted to use my system as a laptop and as my home desktop.  So soon after purchase I obtained a Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station. (WD19TB) and attached a UHD monitor, printer, scanner, Bose speakers, mouse, keyboard, and multiple external hard drives.  I have not had any issues with my desktop setup since.  I have updated my system bios multiple times in the interim without disconnecting my docking station including earlier today when I updated to 1.12.0.  I have had no issues with any of my bios updates or portions thereof.  None of my other system updates have failed either.  I wonder what differences between systems could cause this discrepancy.  It may be difficult to ascertain with all the possible complex combinations of hardware and software that render almost every system different from the others. 

• 

25K Posts

August 17th, 2022 02:00

Hello there!

I'm Priya, one of the Managers at Dell Social Media Support. I was reviewing this case and wanted to thank you for all your efforts while working with us. I hope we were able to provide you with a satisfactory support experience.  

As advised, please do not attempt to update BIOS again as you already have the latest version installed on the system. You will then stop seeing the alert error. Having said that, we'll now proceed to close the case. Please reach out to us anytime if you have any further questions or concerns and we'll be happy to assist you with it. 

If you have any areas of improvement to suggest, it will also help us to work on them and provide our customers a better support experience.  

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Best regards,

Priya

Manager

Dell Social Media Team

No Events found!