Highlighted
middlejim
1 Copper

XPS 15 9530 now requires pressing power button multiple times to start

Until recently, my XPS 15 9530 purchased Aug 2015 has always started up from shutdown or sleep/hibernation with a single press of the power button.  Lately however, startup requires a long duration >15 sec press and hold, usually followed by another press before the white LED illuminates.  Once it starts, boot-up and OS all come up with no issues.  Ran a full Dell pre-OS diagnostics and passed.  Upgraded BIOS from A09 to A12.  Power-up issue persists.  Based on Community comments, I was planning to remove cover to measure CMOS back-up battery as a next step.  Any ideas?

UPDATE:  This issue occurs when the computer is left in shutdown or hibernate/sleep for extended period (like overnight).  If I shut it down and immediately restart, the single button push works.

UPDATE:  Computer time and date info is rock solid, which other posters are saying points to failing CMOS back-up.  This issue seemed to be occurring for the better part of last week, but does not seem to be a hard failure -- this morning I did a cold start after shutdown for ~ 8hrs and it worked on the first press :-S. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 15 9530 now requires pressing power button multiple times to start

Welcome to the Dell Community  @middlejim 

Resetting the CMOS would be the first step.

XPS 15 9530 Owner's Manual:

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
0 Kudos
middlejim
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9530 now requires pressing power button multiple times to start

Thanks for the quick response!  Not sure what you are suggesting by "resetting the CMOS"?  Do you mean replace the coin battery?  I figured measuring first before replacing as I believe I will need to re-flash with the current (A12) BIOS? 

ALSO:  What is the expected lifespan of the coin cell battery?  My computer is 4 years and 4 months old.

0 Kudos