XPS

2 Bronze

XPS 15 9550 auto wake from sleep

Hi,

My XPS 15 9550 will not stay asleep and likes to wake up and drain its battery and overheat.

Less than a week ago, I used my laptop outside, shut the lid to put it to sleep, and after a few minutes put it in my thick laptop case. It was definitely asleep and cool when I put it away. Nearly two hours later I returned home and heard the fan buzzing in my laptop case. I opened the case and the laptop was so hot I could not touch it. I managed to get it out of the case, by dropping it out onto my bed, and I had to plug it in and leave it to cool down. It had a flashing white and orange pattern on the indicator LED showing that the laptop was too hot to operate. I have had my laptop wake up in the case a few times before, but never to this extreme level.

Last night was the only other time in the past two months I have had my laptop asleep and not on charge, and it woke me up with the fan spinning loudly as the laptop overheated and ran out of battery. I lifted the lid and the screen was already on (whilst the lid was shut) showing the BIOS low battery warning. I then had to plug it in and (after trying to click shut down twice in the software - both times it decided to restart instead) hold down the power button to turn it off. 

I have tried to solve this issue, but I can't seem to stop my laptop from waking at random times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (3)
Replies (2)
3 Zinc

There are a few things you could do.

1. Instead of just putting it to sleep, shut it down completely. This will require having "Fast Startup" disabled as the normal shutdown with that enabled still might allow the system to wake up. 

2. Check to see if "Wake on LAN" is enabled for your WiFi adapter. There are actually scheduled tasks set up by Microsoft to wake the system in the early morning hours and check for updates. There is an option in the BIOS for "Wake on LAN" which is disabled by default on my system. You might want to check that as well.

JohnD

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, there are some times where shutting down the laptop completely is impractical and so I can't always use that option. However, I will try checking the Wake on LAN option you outlined.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions