Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

June 7th, 2021 14:00

XPS 15 9550 can't reinstall windows from USB

After 4 weeks of constant BSODs, decided to reset windows. First tried Reset (keep all files) and got an error that it couldn't be completed and no changes had been made. Created a OS Recovery USB using tool on this Dell site and booted with USB, following the instructions and next step should've been to select Repair or Reset. I get no options, laptop boots until I see a fuzzy background wallpaper and Administrator as the user, circle spins for a while then I got a black screen with a little box "Install Windows". Only option is to X it out and the laptop restarts and the same thing happens. Why isn't it asking me to reinstall windows when I boot from the USB?

380 Posts

June 8th, 2021 03:00

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Create a USB installation disk from it and boot from that USB drive to try to install Windows from it. You will have two options: (1) Do an in-place Windows repair (keeping all your programs and files), or (2) Do a fresh Windows installation (basically wiping your system and starting over). The second option will require reinstalling all your personal software, Dell software, and potentially some Dell drivers. Either way make sure you backup your personal files first.

JohnD

June 8th, 2021 20:00

For some reason I didn't get an option to repair, but got it working. Thank you!

380 Posts

June 9th, 2021 01:00

If it does not give you the option to keep your Windows settings, personal files, and apps, that usually will occur if the installation media you are using is an older version than the current version which is installed on your system. There was a problem last year with I believe v20H2 where the option to repair (keep everything you have and just update the OS) was not working. Good you are back to normal.

JohnD

No Events found!