Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

15 Posts

May 6th, 2020 06:00

XPS 15 9550, does not start, short fan noise

Hi Guys,

I'm desperate again on my 9550 ...

My notebook doesn't start anymore. After switching on, the switch-on LED lights up, and then fan noise can be heard for a short time. I have to hold down the power button so that it starts at all. Then the computer goes out again. However, the display of the DELL XPS 15 shows no picture.

I had problems with the computer before and replaced the power socket. After all, that helped for two months. Now the battery seems to be dead but normally the computer should start anyway because it is connected to the power socket.

I installed the Dell Power Manager and was then in the BIOS. In the BIOS I wanted to see if the battery shows an error. Now suddenly nothing works anymore. It is very strange that the device suddenly stops working, doesn't it? Everything was working this morning.

Please help. Does the error seem familiar to you or do you have a tip on how I can fix it?

Thank you for your support!

Here is a video:

https://streamable.com/4wjem8

Excuse my hairy arm.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 6th, 2020 06:00

Unplug the system and remove the base cover.

Disconnect the battery.

Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Remove and reinstall the memory module(s).

Verify that the AC adapter LED comes on before you plug it into the system.  If it does not, replace it.

Plug in the AC adapter.  Verify that the LED stays on.  If it doesn't, there's a short in the system - could be the DC jack.  

If the LED is on, try powering up.  If it will, attach the battery. If that stops POST, the battery is bad; replace it.

If the system still won't power up, the mainboard is bad.

15 Posts

May 6th, 2020 10:00

Unfortunately this did network for me.

See the behaviour in the video:

https://streamable.com/cj2zt7

Any other ideas?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 6th, 2020 11:00

If you've gone through everything to no effect, it's time for a replacement system board.

15 Posts

Would you recommend to save my Data from the SSD in advance? 

Can I do this alone or do I have to let somebody professional do this? Is it worth the price to do the repair? How much would it cost approximately?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

If you don't have a backup, buying a USB device to connect the SSD or hard drive to a working system to back it up is a very good idea.

The boards run between $350-700 depending on the CPU and GPU - lower for i3/5 and Intel, higher for i7/nVidia.  Add whatever an hour or two costs in labor in your area for the total cost of the repair, assuming you don't replace the board yourself.

15 Posts

May 6th, 2020 12:00

That sounds terrible. It's not economically worth it, is it? I am very disappointed with Dell. This device has cost 2000 bucks 4 years ago...

Had to send it back 3 times in the beginning.

800 € for a new mainbord is more than what a new device would cost.

Nothing seems burned on the mainbord. Do you think that it is possible to solder it?

Is this the only solution?

Thanks for your support.

15 Posts

May 6th, 2020 13:00

My over 10 years old no name device is still working though.

So my Dell is ready for the bin now right?

Maybe I can ask for an offer to save the motherboard. Spending 800 € for repair is nonsense imo. ;(

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 6th, 2020 13:00

The tough part is figuring out what needs repair - then comes the difficulty in doing the repair.  You can see if a local shop will troubleshoot and if possible repair it for you for less than replacement would cost, but unless labor charges are unusually low, it won't wind up much cheaper.

As for the rest, notebooks are designed around a 3-4 year lifespan -- doesn't matter whose name is on the outside;  that's about all you get out of an average system these days.

No Events found!