Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

10 Posts

May 28th, 2019 13:00

XPS 15-9550, out of warranty, swollen battery

Warranty expired on April 13, 2018. Issue started in September 2018. I called Dell about my touch pad not working and having trouble with clicking.  After speaking to the representative I found out that it was actually my battery that was swollen underneath that was causing the issue.  I wasn't able to send in my computer at that time because my computer is the only one I have and the only way I can make money and sending it in for over two weeks was not an option going into the holiday season.  He told me no problem, just call back after the holidays and everything has settled down and they will be able to fix it free of charge.

So in March after everything had calmed down I had my taxes and everything done I called Dell back up expecting to get a way to send in my computer and get this KNOWN ISSUE fixed.  Nope.  I was told I had to have had it done by September 2018 to have it done.  I was never told this, never received any recall notice, nothing.  So I tried emailing to get some more information, then calling back on multiple occasions, each person recognizing that this is an issue, but that I would have to pay $39.99 to send it in for diagnosis and then $169.99 for the battery.

Today I finally received a call back from Pankat, someone who is in a higher position and able to "help fix the situation".  Pankat informed me that this is not a known issue by Dell.  He also told me he has no record of me calling September.  And then he hung up on me as I was trying to figure out what my option were. 

I am not even sure where to go from here.  From reading on other posts it sounds like this is a common issue with Dell.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get this well known issue corrected?

Also, is this computer even safe?  The battery keeps getting bigger and bigger and pushing my touch pad higher.

Thank you for your time!

10 Posts

April 30th, 2019 12:00

Purchased January 12, 2017 with a one year warranty to April 13, 2018. At just over a year my touch pad stopped working. I called and was told it was that my battery had swollen and that I could send it in to be repaired, but I did not have another computer and asked if I could call back and send it in a few months and they said sure, no problem. I called today and was told that it would be a charge. $39.95 for shipping and then once they get it the would "run extensive diagnostics" on it and then call me to tell me how much it would cost to have it repaired. I am shocked and mad as this is something Dell has known about long before I even bought this computer! I am not sure what to do. Should I take it to a repair shop around here if I am going to have to pay anyways? I am so disappointed in Dell. Our school used to use Dell and we had a good experience with them so I am very surprised after such a short time and a well known issue that they would not stand behind their product and correct the situation.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 28th, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @hollymsk8 

EDITED: Some how I missed that it was out of warranty?????

Best regards,

U2

489 Posts

May 28th, 2019 15:00

Yes this is a well known issue which Dell tends to handle very inconsistently. Yes everything and more has already been written about the subject.

> Also, is this computer even safe? The battery keeps getting bigger and bigger and pushing my touch pad higher.

No it is not safe! Most don't blow up, but some blown batteries damage the laptops, and a couple off cases of self-ignition were reported. Drain the battery slowly (laptop idling), then remove it very carefully following the online service manual.

10 Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME Nope.  The issue started 3 months past the one year warranty. 

10 Posts

@samos1111 you at least made me smile!  :) 

I think we are going to take the battery out tonight after reading this - that is scary.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@hollymsk8 

It is best to remove the battery before any further damage.

If you do not know how to remove it please post your exact model number "No Service Tags"

We can see if there is a "Service Manual" to help.

And yes it is well known industry wide.

HP, IBM, Dell, Acer etc. and the worst is Apple.

Panasonic is the best because they do not use "Flat Cell" batteries.

Regards,

U2

10 Posts

May 29th, 2019 06:00

@U2CAMEB4ME It is an XPS 15 9550. Is it easy to get the battery out?

Is there a way to get a new battery?

489 Posts

May 29th, 2019 07:00

And yes it is well known industry wide.

HP, IBM, Dell, Acer etc. and the worst is Apple.

Panasonic is the best because they do not use "Flat Cell" batteries.

But it doesn't have to be like this. Responsible manufacturers keep batteries and other spare parts available at a reasonable price. Five years ago, "reasonable" was typically about 3 times what they cost them, which was twice of what knockoffs are sold for... Also flat li-polys were often packaged in removable containers when they first came. Obviously free market doesn't seem to work here. Mind an EU directive will make manufacturers behave nicer within a couple of years. Initiatives exist in US and elsewhere too. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@hollymsk8 

XPS 15 Service Manual:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-15-9550-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Before purchasing a new battery please remove the "Base Cover"  and the swollen battery"

Your model could have one of 2 different size batteries.

223.20 mm (8.79 in)  or  330.50 mm (13.01 in)

If you have a 2.5" HDD installed it should be the 223.20 mm (8.79 in)

Let us know and we can help you find an "Original Battery"

Regards,

U2

489 Posts

@hollymsk8 wrote:

It is an XPS 15 9550. Is it easy to get the battery out?

Is there a way to get a new battery?

The last time I was looking seemed we're out of luck, despite the 9550 being still sold just a couple of years ago. If you can't find a genuine one from a trusted supplier, better pick one claimed compatible than a "genuine". 

10 Posts

May 29th, 2019 10:00

@U2CAMEB4ME I would greatly appreciate it if you can point me to where a good place to find a replacement battery would be.  My brother found me the tool to unscrew it (I didn't have the right screw driver and he works on computers, but is unfortunately across the country so I can't have him come over and help :( )  

10 Posts

May 29th, 2019 13:00

@U2CAMEB4ME I have printed the pages I need to take of the bottom (so many little screws!) and ordered the screw driver - so I will post a picture as soon as I get it off of what kind of battery it is.

489 Posts

May 30th, 2019 00:00

> what kind of battery it is

You can check using HWinfo64, should list battery ID and capacity somewhere.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 30th, 2019 04:00

@samos1111 

"SWOLLEN" battery.

Doesn't matter what the ID is it needs to be "REMOVED"

Regards,

U2

489 Posts

May 30th, 2019 04:00

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

"SWOLLEN" battery.

Doesn't matter what the ID is it needs to be "REMOVED"

Regards,

U2

The OP seems to want to look for a replacement battery while not yet being in the possession of the screwdriver needed for the removal ;) 

In such circumstances I'd drain the battery slowly (idling without the charger) and set max charge level to 0% (or the lowest possible value) in BIOS or using Dell Command | Power Manager. According to some hands-on videos which one shouldn't try to reproduce at home, punching inner membranes of a charged li-poly battery ends up explosively, while punching a discharged one isn't as dangerous, mere smouldering and toxic fumes... Generally, this shouldn't happen when removing carefully, but it is what one must be prepared for in case sth goes wrong. 

No Events found!