Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

February 10th, 2020 01:00

XPS 15 9550, random sudden turn-off when running on battery, ASF2 Force Off

Hello Dell Community, My Dell XPS 15 (9550) was experiencing random sudden shutdown in the past months and years when running on battery. BIOS Power Event logs shows ASF2 Force Off. I already have checked the internet and the dell community forums for possible solutions but I didn't found the solution. I have also performed some troubleshooting trying fixing the issue but no success. Based on my research this issue is common to Dell XPS series laptop and also possibly affecting other laptop series such as Dell Precision, Inspiron, and Latitude Series.

In this post, I will describe my experience, troubleshooting performed, and result of my research, and propose a possible solution to Dell to help us fix this issue.

Description:
The problem started a few years back, probably 2018 or 2019 when my original battery (56 wh) is performing poorly after using it for few months. I have experienced random shutdowns when running on battery and the system doesn't recognized the correct capacity of the battery. My laptop can be used longer when it is already at 1-15% charged while at 16-100% it drains faster. I have assumed that the problem is with the battery so I bought (6-7 months ago) a new battery with the higher capacity to replace the old one. After replacing the battery the issue still persists. When the sudden turn off happens, I cannot turn on the laptop when it's not connected to the charger. When I go to the BIOS and check the Power Event logs, I've found the log/error "Power Off - ASF2 force off". I've also tried checking the internet for possible solutions and also performed some troubleshooting to fix the problem but I didn't found the solution.

Performed Troubleshooting:
In trying to solve the issue, I have performed some troubleshooting to fix the problem. The troubleshooting that was performed are the following.

1. Performed Battery Calibration based on this (link1) and this one (link2)
  2. Performed both Dell SupportAssist Full Hardware Scan and Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA) (basic and extended mode) with all tests passed (on-charger or on-battery) and result says the battery is in excellent condition.
  3. Performed new Battery force re-detection using this guide. (link)
  4. Tried running the system in Windows 10 Safe Mode (Issue still persists when in safe mode).
  5. Tried to install other Linux based operating system (i.e. Ubuntu) to check if the issue also occurs in the other platforms but still, it also occurs in other platform.
  6. Cleaned the system board, re-seated RAM and SSD, cleaned the fans, and reapplied thermal paste.
  7. Reinstalled the Operating System (Windows 10 Home SL) several times and with the latest drivers, software, and OS updates installed. I've also updated firmware and BIOS (tried different versions and loading/restoring BIOS to factory default settings).

Observations after some troubleshooting:
After performing multiple troubleshooting mentioned above the problem still persists. But I've found out that after updating the BIOS to the latest BIOS update (1.13.1) released last Jan 06, 2020 and after cleaning the laptop fans, the frequency of the issue was reduced. Previously, even during the initial startup (after windows login) the laptop suddenly turns-off (improperly). But now it happens less frequent than before. But still, the issue still randomly occurring.

After my latest observations, I'm so desperate in identifying the issue and fixing it. So i tried to perform a System Stability Test using AIDA64 Extreme (v6.20.5300) to check if it can trigger the sudden shutdown. I have performed it both when running on charger or on battery. When I ran it with the charger is plugged, my laptop rarely or doesn't thermal throttle. It also stays at safe temperature (around 75-82°C). It ran it for 6 hours without any issues.

But after performing System Stability Test on battery, the problem occur after few seconds or minutes only. I thought initially that this is caused by overheating; but after checking AIDA64's result after the sudden turn-offs I've found out that the laptop didn't thermal throttle and overheat, and it turns-off even at 48°C and 60°C. It looks like the system doesn't properly handle sudden increase in workload when running on battery. I've tested it on both with my old and new battery, still the same issue occurs. Below are the test setting which triggered the sudden turn-off.

System Stability Test configuration:
Stress CPU - enabled
Stress FPU - enabled
Stress cache - enabled
Stress system memory - enabled
Stress local disks - disabled
Stress GPU(s) - enabled
Duration - few seconds or minutes
Running on battery

I've also performed some research about the ASF2 force off error and its connection to it occurring when running on battery. After my research, I've found out that similar issue also exists in other laptops mentioned below.

AFS2 force off on battery related issue - possible affected systems found in Dell Community Forum:

1. Dell XPS 15 9550 (link1, link2)
  2. Dell XPS 15 9575 (link1, link2)
  3. Dell XPS 13 9360 (link1, link2, link3, link4link5)
  4. Dell Precision 15 5510 (link1)
  5. Dell Precision 3510 (link1)
  6. Dell Precision M6700 (link1)
  7. Dell Gaming Laptop Series 7000 (link1)
  8. Dell Inspiron 15 7567 (link1)
  9. Dell Inspiron 15 7570 (link1)
  10. Dell Latitude E5430 (link1)

After browsing the internet and reading related issues, there is no found definitive solution to this problem. It also looks like this issue is not unique to my laptop only nor to this specific model (XPS 15 9550). Based on my readings, I've identified some possible causes of this problem.

Theories/Possible Causes:

• Power Management unable to handle sudden increase of workload based on the AIDA64 test as mentioned above.
  • Possible issue on Dell's Power Management Algorithm when on battery (old or new) which triggers the ASF2 Force off.
  • Power Management conflict after replacing the battery
  • Doesn't properly detect/recognize newly installed lower/higher capacity 56whr, 84whr or 97whr battery (detects only the old battery's condition) and causes conflict
  • Other issues that only the BIOS developer can identify and fix. It looks like this issue can only be fixed by a BIOS update.

A lot of people are having this issue and are disappointed not having this fixed till this day. This is not an isolated issue but also affects their multiple Dell laptop products. I hope dell will take this issue seriously and give their best efforts in releasing a BIOS update to fix this issue. They can improve what they have done to the Dell XPS 15 9550 1.13.1 BIOS update to make the laptop usable and stable.

I have put so much effort in diagnosing and trying to solve this problem. I hope my efforts won't go to waste and Dell would hear me out and take action to this problem. 

Fixing this issue will not only make their customer happy but will also save them costs in repairs and replacements due to the same reported issues.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 11th, 2020 08:00

Batteries made now and in the last few years cannot be fixed. They need to be replaced. See this--

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

Note that 18 to 24 months of use is the new average length of battery life.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2020 17:00

Thank you for the information. This is the reason why I replaced the battery 5-6 months ago. But my concern is the issue (random sudden turn-off) still occurs on both my old (health: fair) and new (health: excellent) battery. My new battery's health is excellent based on the BIOS and ePSA diagnostics. The only solution I could think of is a BIOS update from Dell to fix this issue. I hope they will have this checked and release an update to fix this issue. It's really bothering especially this issue also exists in other Dell Laptop models and series.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2020 17:00

Hi,

Thanks to dc_sam for thoroughly researching this issue.  I can confirm that I experience the same with a Dell Precision 5510 laptop.  Specifically, I get

1. Random shutdowns when on battery power.
  2. BIOS Power Event logs shows ASF2 Force Off
  3. After the shutdown happens, the laptop won't boot on battery.  It's necessary to plug the laptop in to get it to boot.

I too have spent a many hours looking for a solution to this, but haven't found anything yet.  This issue is very frustrating as it means the laptop always has to be plugged in.

Dell, please fix this via a BIOS update. 

7 Posts

March 12th, 2020 13:00

I can confirm that every information here is accurate, but I'd like to add a small stress test I ran that helped me determine the turn offs are not random. Rather, they happen if several cores are stressed all at once. If I stress one core 100% on battery, it runs for hours. If I stress 3-6 cores for 5 seconds, the laptop turns off with no warning and does not turn on unless its on A/C. It's not the temperature because (i) 5 seconds is too short for it to rise (ii) it does not rise when monitored and (iii) it only shuts down when on battery. If the stress test is run on A/C power, the laptop does not shutdown.

I too have been looking for the some sort of solution, and I've updated the BIOS to the 1.18 version and the problem is still happening.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2020 00:00

Thank you for confirming this issue @mouseface. I hope dell will fix all of the affected laptops.

Thank you for confirming and giving additional information @trvzn. Can you share with us what laptop model are you using? It may help Dell verify and identify laptops that are affected by this issue.

I'm already communicating with them through e-mail. I'm still waiting for their update about it. 

I have noticed more Dell laptops have major issues in power management. My new Dell laptop also has issues that are related to power management. I'm encountering frequent audio popping and windows hangs for a few seconds sometimes.

I hope Dell would take this issue seriously and release a BIOS update as soon as possible to fix the issue.

2 Posts

April 1st, 2020 09:00

Hi,

Thanks again to @dc_sam for making this the most comprehensive Internet source for this issue.

Just a quick addendum: I read in a few places that disabling c-states in the BIOS fixed this problem.  It did NOT fix the problem for me.  The behavior was exactly the same. 

If I find out anything more, I'll add it here.

7 Posts

April 14th, 2020 04:00

@dc_sam XPS 15 9560

1 Message

May 5th, 2020 17:00

Same thing here! 

Have recently replaced battery and have just encounted this problem on XPS 9560. 

I take out power supply and within minutes the laptop shuts down and the only way to restart is to plug in the ac. 

So disappointing, I had a surface book before my XPS and have major regrets switching to dell. The battery life has never lasted more than 3 hours, glitches often and struggles to handle anything more than 10 tabs open at a time, and support is the worst I've experienced from any brand. Would not classify this an Ultrabook and can't fathom how XPS/dell laptops continue to get positive reviews. 

Hopefully Dell fixes this issue with a BIOS update but regardless I'll never buy a dell again.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2020 19:00

Same problem here on my XPS 15 9560. I replaced the original battery that failed diagnostic tests - below 40%, it would crash to zero and cause the laptop to turn off. I replaced it with a genuine Dell battery.

The new battery passes all diagnostics, works just fine if I'm doing light internet browsing. But if I stress the computer - ie. Premier Pro, it shuts off and I have to plug in the AC adapter to turn it back on.

I am in the same boat as you all. Subscribing to see if Dell ever responds with a fix.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2020 09:00

I am adding a little information to my previous post.

I did a few very simple stress tests this morning. On my "new" battery, I started the computer on battery power, launched Premier Pro, Photoshop, and Lightroom and started a video file playing in Premier. Without fail, as soon as it started to stress the processors, my laptop shut off. I did the test 4 times with the same results.

I took the new batter out and put the original (defective battery per diagnostics) unit back in my 9560. Again, I started my laptop on battery power, proceeded to open Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Chrome with several tabs, Edge with several tabs, and started a 1440p video playing in Premier at full resolution. I could not get my laptop to Force Off. I shut the laptop down, let it sit, and repeated the test. I still cannot get it to force off on the original battery.

So disappointing. I hope there's a fix soon. I'd love to have full battery capacity again. The 9560 has been such a great laptop.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2020 23:00

I had the same issue.  But another symptom I had was that the audio would sometimes become distorted when listening to music or watching YouTube videos.  What I did that actually fixed the issue was installing the latest audio drivers from the Dell website for this laptop.  Perhaps there is something conflicting with the one that is installed by Windows 10 and the audio driver.  My thought was that I can at least fix the random audio distortion issue that I was having.  But to my surprise, it also fixed the random shutdown for this laptop.  I hope this would help someone fix their 9550 issue.  Good luck.  

May 23rd, 2020 16:00

@dc_sam thank you for your time in reporting this issue.

I am experiencing the exact same issues and cannot find a solution on my Dell XPS 9560.

If I try to do a GPU stress test with the Nvidia GPU enabled it will instantly shut down, without the Nvidia GPU installed it will go on for a bit longer. I think it's to do with the components drawing power etc. like  you mentioned.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help your investigation from my end.

Santiago.

1 Message

May 25th, 2020 01:00

I'm sad to tell you the problem not only happens on windows. when I'm using macos on this xps9550, it will still put an message: asf2 force off ! I want dell to put a solution to deal with it, I fells tired of this laptop.

May 25th, 2020 06:00

nonono

7 Posts

June 1st, 2020 05:00

I can confirm this happens on windows10 and linux on my 9560. It's the same as previously reported: if I stress the cpu on 3-4 cores, it shutdown as soon as it reaches 100%. If I leave the laptop idle or stress only one core, than it runs for hours. 

No Events found!