Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9550, random sudden turn-off when running on battery, ASF2 Force Off

I am adding a little information to my previous post.

I did a few very simple stress tests this morning. On my "new" battery, I started the computer on battery power, launched Premier Pro, Photoshop, and Lightroom and started a video file playing in Premier. Without fail, as soon as it started to stress the processors, my laptop shut off. I did the test 4 times with the same results.

I took the new batter out and put the original (defective battery per diagnostics) unit back in my 9560. Again, I started my laptop on battery power, proceeded to open Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Chrome with several tabs, Edge with several tabs, and started a 1440p video playing in Premier at full resolution. I could not get my laptop to Force Off. I shut the laptop down, let it sit, and repeated the test. I still cannot get it to force off on the original battery.

So disappointing. I hope there's a fix soon. I'd love to have full battery capacity again. The 9560 has been such a great laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had the same issue.  But another symptom I had was that the audio would sometimes become distorted when listening to music or watching YouTube videos.  What I did that actually fixed the issue was installing the latest audio drivers from the Dell website for this laptop.  Perhaps there is something conflicting with the one that is installed by Windows 10 and the audio driver.  My thought was that I can at least fix the random audio distortion issue that I was having.  But to my surprise, it also fixed the random shutdown for this laptop.  I hope this would help someone fix their 9550 issue.  Good luck.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

nonono

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@dc_sam thank you for your time in reporting this issue.

I am experiencing the exact same issues and cannot find a solution on my Dell XPS 9560.

If I try to do a GPU stress test with the Nvidia GPU enabled it will instantly shut down, without the Nvidia GPU installed it will go on for a bit longer. I think it's to do with the components drawing power etc. like  you mentioned.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help your investigation from my end.

Santiago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm sad to tell you the problem not only happens on windows. when I'm using macos on this xps9550, it will still put an message: asf2 force off ! I want dell to put a solution to deal with it, I fells tired of this laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I can confirm this happens on windows10 and linux on my 9560. It's the same as previously reported: if I stress the cpu on 3-4 cores, it shutdown as soon as it reaches 100%. If I leave the laptop idle or stress only one core, than it runs for hours. 

0 Kudos