Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15 9550 shuts itself randomly - ASF2 FORCE OFF

Hello, My laptop starts to shuts itself randomly - it seems not connected to any work I done on it on that moment. There are no any error message, no BSOD - despite the Windows 10 settings to NOT automatically restart on error. There are no dump files as well. It is not overheating since I stress tested it - temps are never reaching 70 deg C. Only clue I have is in BIOS power events logs and it is say ASF2 FORCE OFF. I tried to google it but there is no much clues on this. Can anybody know how to solve this? THANKS!

13 Posts

June 21st, 2019 04:00

Citrix Receiver turned out to be one of the main suspect now. I have managed to upgrade to the latest Bios version again, all I had to do was disable C state in Bios and battle Citrix Receiver out of my system. I say battle out, because it kept stealth installing back and causing the Shut down again. So I've also disabled all software not related to Windows in msconfig for Startup. Maybe this will help someone, who knew such a passive software could cause this big conflict?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 7th, 2018 09:00

@mhamzic

Go ahead and send me a private message including your full name and service tag. We'll see what we can do to resolve. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 7th, 2018 09:00

This is a problem that has been around with a number of posts in the forum. Also with very little information as to the cause. Give this link a try though.

http://www.digitaltechglobal.com/e5430-power-off-asf2-force-off.html

9 Posts

November 15th, 2018 07:00

OK,  in case somebody need, just to report here that solution for this problem (at least in my case, for now, 3 days) is CLEAN reinstall of Windows 10.  I make bootable USB installation of windows and then format entire C: drive an reinstall windows again. So far, no shutting down or ASF2 Errors. BIOS is version 1.7.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2018 04:00

I'm getting ASF2 Force Off also, Latitude E7440 Win 10 Pro, 4 years old. It stared about 1-2 months ago and was very rare then. Now it's just every day :(. I've tired BIOS update, drivers update - nothing helps.It happens usually when I carry it in a bag, suspended, so I blamed "sleep state driver" but it started to happen also when it was switched off. Accidentally I've discovered that I can trigger shut off by pressing harder chassis or keybaord at the top, near the screen. So it looks like hardware issue with mobo. I like my E7440, I'd like it to stay with me one year more, but my NBD warranty has ended :( So I just would like to report that ASF2 Force Off could be hardware issue also like bad battery contacts or some short circuit.

13 Posts

June 9th, 2019 21:00

Same here, been having this issue for months before finding out it\s the ASF2 Error....this is embarrassing... Dell?! Please let\s fix this

13 Posts

June 9th, 2019 23:00

I think I might have fixed this issue by downgrading my bios to the corresponding version of my model from here:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308587/microprocessor-side-channel-vulnerabilities-cve-2017-5715-cve-2017-5753-cve-2017-5754-impact-on-dell-products?lang=en#affected_products

I see you guys just added a fresh Bios update, today 10th of June 2019 for Lattitude e5570. This new update was also manifesting the same shutdown event. 

Currently still stable after downgrading Bios from the link Above, will update this message if anything changes.

July 19th, 2019 06:00

2x identical xps 9570 notebooks. 

same problem with constant rebooting and bios event shows:  power off- ASF2 force off

what is the problems here??

No Events found!