Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2020 09:00

XPS 15 9550 turns off when the lid is closed

I looked in the forum and did not find anything that was comparable to this.

It started about 1-2 weeks ago and initially it was not every time, but most times. Lately it has been every time. Windows settings are sleep for both powered and on battery.

BIOS: 1.13.1 12/12/19

Windows Home 10.0.18362

Dell Update: The laptop is up to date.

Support Assist Diagnostics: Full Test. No issues.

Please advise.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 24th, 2020 13:00

@PerNil  I had a same-generation XPS 13 9350 that did this exact thing for a while.  I spent quite a while checking settings and drivers and generally tearing my hair out, and right before I was about to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, I remembered that I had done a BIOS update a while ago.  It completed successfully, and I wasn't sure if the timing of this issue aligned with that update since I don't actually use sleep very often -- and the BIOS update I was already running was still the latest available -- but as a last desperate attempt to avoid wiping my hard drive, I thought that maybe just reinstalling that BIOS update would fix the issue.  I had no real hope of that working, but I figured it was worth waiting a few minutes to see what happened before spending hours rebuilding my system.  Reflashing that same BIOS update fixed the issue.

11 Posts

April 24th, 2020 12:00

Just FYI: got an email asking about service tag etc that MS Outlook identified as fishing from "Dell EMC Community ; (Dell EMC Community via us.khoros-mail.com)".

11 Posts

April 24th, 2020 15:00

Thanks! I did flash the BIOS and have tried to close the lid twice and it went to sleep only. So, it looks like it is working. I will report it as resolved and get back if it starts to not work again.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 25th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!