DScott73
1 Nickel

XPS 15 9550 with TB16 Dock, USB Stops working

I have XPS 15 9550 and use the Dell TB16 Dock.

My system received the Windows 10 1809 update tonight.  After the update, the TB 16 USB ports stopped working. It looks like the ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller has disappeared from the device manager.

I attempted to install, reinstall etc the various drivers.  At times the USB devices would come back briefly, but not survive a restart. I would then attempted to reinstall the ASMedia drivers, and run any firmware updates.

I found that executing the latest Intel_TBT3-FW_UPDATE_NVM26_FJJK7_A08_4.26.11.001 firmware update would "force" the computer to recognize the ASMedia Controller and the USB devices connected would re-appear and the ASMedia Controller would re-appear in Device Manager. However, still upon a restart, they would disappear.

I finally just restored the computer to an earlier image and have deferred any updates for the time being.

Has anyone else encountered this issue yet?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: XPS 15 9550 with TB16 Dock, USB Stops working

Any chance you Citrix Receiver was installed recently? Older versions of that application can cause these kinds of issues. Dell has a KB article about the TB16 and Citrix Receiver. The fix is to update to a newer version of Receiver, which is a free download from Citrix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DScott73
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15 9550 with TB16 Dock, USB Stops working

Lol no, no Citrix installed here. That is the first result that usually comes up when searching for issues.

I was thinking this had something to do with new Windows update.  Through my troubleshooting process, the laptop has the latest BIOS available, and the dock has the latest firmware now. After rolling back, everything works fine.

0 Kudos