Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

April 13th, 2018 06:00

XPS 15 9560, 4K LCD, HDR support?

Hello,
I have just bought 9560 with 4k display and I'm wondering if this screen support HDR? Because in YouTube I don't see HDR option.
Regards,
Tomek

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 20th, 2018 10:00

@SkuterPLwrote:

So even if this monitor support HDR I cannot use with my notebook?

Any other Dell notebooks can play HDR?

Correct.  HDR support requires the GPU itself to support HDR and for you to use a display output connector that supports HDR.  The XPS 15 9560 has HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2, neither of which support HDR.  It would need HDMI 2.0 and/or DisplayPort 1.4 to do that.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

It does not.  HDR laptop displays have only just started to hit the market in late 2017 / early 2018 model laptops, and the 9560 is older than that -- in fact the 9570 was just officially announced and will be available to be ordered later this month.  Even that model wasn't announced with an HDR display though.  That model would at least be able to drive HDR on external HDMI displays since it supports HDMI 2.0, but it wouldn't be able to do it over USB-C/Thunderbolt because that output only supports DisplayPort 1.2, and HDR requires DisplayPort 1.4.  The problem there is that DP 1.4 over USB-C/TB3 requires the Intel GPU to support (which doesn't exist yet) as well as a brand new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller that Intel has announced but that hasn't been seen in laptops yet.

All that said, don't expect first-gen laptop HDR displays to match the experience of quality TVs.  Laptop displays are still fundamentally constrained on power, which means their peak brightness won't be nearly as high.  There are different "grades" of HDR certification for displays that focus mainly on peak brightness, and laptops will be on the low end of that spectrum.

12 Posts

April 13th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for explain me that :) 

So with this notebook I cannot send HDR even for TV or monitor which support HDR, because my TB3 doesn't support it? Because specially I bought Dell monitor S2718D with HDR (I don't know which version HDMI it has).

But what with Nvidia GPU, I thought that 1050 GTX is strong graphic, which support current technology.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2018 15:00

(EDIT: Removed incorrect info about the S2718D.  I had been thinking of a different display.)

The TB16 has an HDMI 2.0 port, which theoretically could support HDR, but the problem is that it only supports a DisplayPort 1.2 signal coming in from the attached PC, which means it can't receive an HDR signal.  And even if it supported DisplayPort 1.4 from the attached PC, your XPS 15 9560 will only send DisplayPort 1.2.

The NVIDIA GTX 1050 is a fairly strong graphics card that supports most technologies out now, but it doesn't support everything, and even if it did, the design of the system means that the Intel GPU would also need to support certain technologies in order for them to be used.  The XPS 15 is a powerful ultrabook, but it's still an ultrabook, so it won't support ALL of the latest and greatest technologies the way full gaming or workstation systems would, such as Alienware systems or the Precision 7000 Series.  If you don't see a particular feature mentions on a product page or the specs, you should not assume it's supported.  And if you aren't sure and support for a certain feature is important to you, then it's a good idea to ask somewhere here BEFORE you buy something.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2018 15:00

CORRECTION: My earlier comments about the S2718D were incorrect.  I was thinking of the U2518D when I wrote that, so I've removed them.  The S2718D does indeed support HDR10.

12 Posts

April 20th, 2018 03:00

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

April 20th, 2018 08:00

The XPS 9370 supposedly does -- and the 9570 when released, likely will as well.

12 Posts

April 20th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for explaining everything.

I have another question about calibration. In TVs every TV has to be calibrated individually, how about XPS? Every notebook is calibrated Individually or this app of Dell is automatically set for every laptop with the same settings?

Edit
You wrote: the XPS 13 9370 supports HDR, but that appears to apply only to its built-in panel.

So display in new 9x70 has built in HDR?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@SkuterPLwrote:
Thanks for explaining everything.

I have another question about calibration. In TVs every TV has to be calibrated individually, how about XPS? Every notebook is calibrated Individually or this app of Dell is automatically set for every laptop with the same settings?

The only Dell displays I know of that get calibrated individually at the factory are the UltraSharp U series displays.  If you want a calibrated built-in panel, you would have to do it yourself using third-party software and hardware.  That said, the built-in displays in Dell XPS laptops have been getting better in terms of out-of-the-box accuracy.  It may not be enough if you're doing very color-sensitive work, but it should be more than good enough for typical usage -- and if you ARE doing very color-sensitive work, you should probably be doing it on a high-end external display that offers much wider calibration options rather than on any laptop's built-in panel anyway.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@SkuterPLwrote:
Edit
You wrote: the XPS 13 9370 supports HDR, but that appears to apply only to its built-in panel.

So display in new 9x70 has built in HDR?

The XPS 13 9370 does.  As for talking about the 9x70 models as a group, that's murkier.  I haven't seen any indication either way on the XPS 15 9570's HDR support.  However, the XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 does not seem to have an HDR display option.  And actually even with the XPS 13 9370, it's unclear what Dell means by "Cinema HDR".  For example, Dell's first HDR desktop display supported something called "Dell HDR", which wasn't any sort of industry standard; it was just something Dell made up.  I can't find anything to confirm that the XPS 13 9370's display supports any formal HDR standard like HDR10 or Dolby Vision.  The only laptop built-in display I know of that supports a formal HDR standard is the one in the latest Lenovo X1 Carbon, which supports Dolby Vision (and I believe HDR10, but I'm not certain.)

All that said, it's going to be a while before laptop displays deliver an HDR experience anywhere close to what you get from high-end HDR TVs, simply due to constraints around what can be accomplished in a display that has to be thin and where power consumption is a major factor, and where overall cost of the laptop is also a factor.  In fact, VESA has created "tiers" of HDR certification for desktop displays (article here) to recognize that PC displays will take a while to catch up to TVs.  The highest tier there requires a display that can generate 1000 nits of brightness, and it will probably be a while before we see mainstream displays reach that certification, even though high-end HDR TVs today can already do much more than that.  So notebooks will of course take even longer than desktop displays.

Bottom line: Don't worry too much about HDR on a built-in display, at least not for a few years.  Even if you had one, if you've ever seen good HDR on a proper high-end TV like an LG OLED or the Sony Z9D, you'll be disappointed with the laptop.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@SkuterPLwrote:

Sorry, I forgot to answer the second half of that question.  As @ejn63 says, the XPS 13 9370 supports HDR, but that appears to apply only to its built-in panel.  Since the XPS 13 9370 only has USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 outputs and those only appear to support DisplayPort 1.2, that system would not be able to use HDR with external displays.  The limitation there is that Intel's GPUs and Thunderbolt controllers do not support newer DisplayPort revisions yet.  Intel just released a new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller that supports DisplayPort 1.4, but that controller didn't make it into the 9370 and I doubt it will be seen in the XPS 15 9570 either, partly because the GPUs in Intel's 8th Gen Core chips still don't support DisplayPort 1.4 either.  My prediction is that the NEXT release of the XPS systems will include GPUs that support DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C and the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller to carry it across Thunderbolt 3.  However, the XPS 15 9570 also has a built-in HDMI output, and the 9570 is confirmed to be getting an upgrade to HDMI 2.0 there, so that should be usable to run HDR on an external display.

The only current Dell systems I'm aware of that support HDR on external displays are the Precision 7000 Series models, because they have a native DisplayPort connector that is confirmed to support DisplayPort 1.4, discrete GPUs that also support DisplayPort 1.4, and a more complex motherboard design that allows the user change a BIOS setting to allow the discrete GPU take direct control of the display outputs, which means that it doesn't matter that the Intel GPU in those systems doesn't support DP 1.4.

123 Posts

May 29th, 2018 02:00

Unfortunatly, I think the XPS 15 even with 4k display doesnt support HDR. Also the new 9570 seem not to support it...

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2018 06:00

@mkdr wrote:

Unfortunatly, I think the XPS 15 even with 4k display doesnt support HDR. Also the new 9570 seem not to support it...

Since the 9570 offers HDMI 2.0, it MIGHT support HDR out of that specific output, but I don't have a way to verify that.  The issue with the USB-C/Thunderbolt output again is that currently they only support DisplayPort 1.2, which doesn't support HDR.  Intel's new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller announced in January will add support for DisplayPort 1.4, which does support HDR, but to my knowledge that hasn't made its way into products yet, possibly because the Intel GPUs built into their current CPUs don't yet support DP 1.4.  My guess is that broad support for external HDR displays will arrive with 9th gen Core CPUs, although even then the fact that Thunderbolt 3 maxes out at 40 Gbps means it actually can't carry two full-bandwidth DP 1.4 outputs the way it can currently carry 2 ful-bandwidth DP 1.2 outputs.  Then again, since DP 1.4 also includes support for lossless compression, as long as you're using a dock or display that also supports that, your display options should still be quite good.  Or of course Intel might also bump the Thunderbolt spec....

8 Posts

July 22nd, 2018 15:00

Mad props to @jphughan for dropping so much HDR knowledge! I've been curious about HDR for some time now and have struggled to find clear info on what Dells do and do not support it. Your posts in this thread are the clearest, most specific, and most useful source of info I've found yet. I can't thank you enough!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 18:00

@howdyizzy wrote:

Mad props to @jphughan for dropping so much HDR knowledge! I've been curious about HDR for some time now and have struggled to find clear info on what Dells do and do not support it. Your posts in this thread are the clearest, most specific, and most useful source of info I've found yet. I can't thank you enough!

Thanks for the kind words! You’re very welcome, and I’m glad I could help!

No Events found!