XPS

Last reply by 04-17-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 15 9560, 4K LCD, HDR support?

Hello,
I have just bought 9560 with 4k display and I'm wondering if this screen support HDR? Because in YouTube I don't see HDR option.
Regards,
Tomek

Replies (17)

@SkuterPLwrote:
Thanks for explaining everything.

I have another question about calibration. In TVs every TV has to be calibrated individually, how about XPS? Every notebook is calibrated Individually or this app of Dell is automatically set for every laptop with the same settings?

The only Dell displays I know of that get calibrated individually at the factory are the UltraSharp U series displays.  If you want a calibrated built-in panel, you would have to do it yourself using third-party software and hardware.  That said, the built-in displays in Dell XPS laptops have been getting better in terms of out-of-the-box accuracy.  It may not be enough if you're doing very color-sensitive work, but it should be more than good enough for typical usage -- and if you ARE doing very color-sensitive work, you should probably be doing it on a high-end external display that offers much wider calibration options rather than on any laptop's built-in panel anyway.

@SkuterPLwrote:
Edit
You wrote: the XPS 13 9370 supports HDR, but that appears to apply only to its built-in panel.

So display in new 9x70 has built in HDR?

The XPS 13 9370 does.  As for talking about the 9x70 models as a group, that's murkier.  I haven't seen any indication either way on the XPS 15 9570's HDR support.  However, the XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 does not seem to have an HDR display option.  And actually even with the XPS 13 9370, it's unclear what Dell means by "Cinema HDR".  For example, Dell's first HDR desktop display supported something called "Dell HDR", which wasn't any sort of industry standard; it was just something Dell made up.  I can't find anything to confirm that the XPS 13 9370's display supports any formal HDR standard like HDR10 or Dolby Vision.  The only laptop built-in display I know of that supports a formal HDR standard is the one in the latest Lenovo X1 Carbon, which supports Dolby Vision (and I believe HDR10, but I'm not certain.)

All that said, it's going to be a while before laptop displays deliver an HDR experience anywhere close to what you get from high-end HDR TVs, simply due to constraints around what can be accomplished in a display that has to be thin and where power consumption is a major factor, and where overall cost of the laptop is also a factor.  In fact, VESA has created "tiers" of HDR certification for desktop displays (article here) to recognize that PC displays will take a while to catch up to TVs.  The highest tier there requires a display that can generate 1000 nits of brightness, and it will probably be a while before we see mainstream displays reach that certification, even though high-end HDR TVs today can already do much more than that.  So notebooks will of course take even longer than desktop displays.

Bottom line: Don't worry too much about HDR on a built-in display, at least not for a few years.  Even if you had one, if you've ever seen good HDR on a proper high-end TV like an LG OLED or the Sony Z9D, you'll be disappointed with the laptop.

3 Argentum

Unfortunatly, I think the XPS 15 even with 4k display doesnt support HDR. Also the new 9570 seem not to support it...

@mkdr wrote:

Unfortunatly, I think the XPS 15 even with 4k display doesnt support HDR. Also the new 9570 seem not to support it...

Since the 9570 offers HDMI 2.0, it MIGHT support HDR out of that specific output, but I don't have a way to verify that.  The issue with the USB-C/Thunderbolt output again is that currently they only support DisplayPort 1.2, which doesn't support HDR.  Intel's new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller announced in January will add support for DisplayPort 1.4, which does support HDR, but to my knowledge that hasn't made its way into products yet, possibly because the Intel GPUs built into their current CPUs don't yet support DP 1.4.  My guess is that broad support for external HDR displays will arrive with 9th gen Core CPUs, although even then the fact that Thunderbolt 3 maxes out at 40 Gbps means it actually can't carry two full-bandwidth DP 1.4 outputs the way it can currently carry 2 ful-bandwidth DP 1.2 outputs.  Then again, since DP 1.4 also includes support for lossless compression, as long as you're using a dock or display that also supports that, your display options should still be quite good.  Or of course Intel might also bump the Thunderbolt spec....

Mad props to @jphughan for dropping so much HDR knowledge! I've been curious about HDR for some time now and have struggled to find clear info on what Dells do and do not support it. Your posts in this thread are the clearest, most specific, and most useful source of info I've found yet. I can't thank you enough!

@howdyizzy wrote:

Mad props to @jphughan for dropping so much HDR knowledge! I've been curious about HDR for some time now and have struggled to find clear info on what Dells do and do not support it. Your posts in this thread are the clearest, most specific, and most useful source of info I've found yet. I can't thank you enough!

Thanks for the kind words! You’re very welcome, and I’m glad I could help!

Has anyone been able to test a 9570's HDMI 2.0 port to see if the dGPU can drive a HDR display (OLED TV, etc). 

I know DisplayPort 1.2 is not supposed to support HDR, but it seems it actually does support HDR10 just fine, given my experience and also there are other datapoints (https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/comments/adc1k2/displayport_12_and_hdr/). 

For example, using a USB C to DisplayPort Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FF63XZ9), I can play HDR contents in an external HDR monitor with my Thinkpad X1C6.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor