Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2018 00:00

XPS 15 9560, Battery drain during sleep

I have the aforementioned DELL XPS.

My problem is that during sleep it drains a LOT of battery. It used to be about 20% during 12h of sleep and with the latest updates from DELL (driver, bios, Intel...) now it completely drains my 55mWh the battery.

Tried generating battery and sleep reports form windows but it doesn't show anything useful...

Thanks

Cmilj

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2018 12:00

Wow, that system is a Modern Standby system.  If you do not know what Modern Standby is, then watch the video which explains how it works.  The video is outdated and some things have changed but it is the most update video I can find.  Too bad Dell does not seem to have one available for their customers.

With regards to transporting your laptop, under no circumstances should you leave it powered on or in Modern Standby mode when it's in an enclosed space. The system will overheat as a result of this and that isn't something that is covered under warranty. You must turn the system OFF in order to transport it in a bag or a case etc.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby-in-Windows-10

The important power settings on a Modern Standby system are Screen off and Hibernation time.  The Sleep setting may have some effect depending what you are running on your system.

There should be settings regarding network connection on battery in the Settings-System-Power area.

I set my system to hibernate 1 to 2 hours after the screen turns off to stop the battery drain.

9.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 10:00

Hi Cmilj,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Sleeping is basically imprinting the system state onto the ram. For the ram to retain the information, it has to be active and consume battery.  You can try hibernating instead of sleep or hybrid sleep since it consumes the least amount of power.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Neither are really recommended for overnight due to the battery and other issues.  Since today's computers boot so quickly, it's not like before, it's better just to shut it off.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2018 23:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the answer...

I was kind of expecting more because of previous experiences where sleep would consume about 3-5% during night. I am aware that RAM needs to be powered but 20% in 12h is a lot! Was and still are suspicious that some other component is using power as WiFI chip or CPU...

I agree about power off...hibernation is not an option since i have 32GB of RAM and that would just take tool long to store to HDD and back + would waste same amount of HDD drive space which is precious. 

Regards

1 Message

February 9th, 2018 23:00

Dear Robert,

I think you didnt answer the question. I am having the same issue as well. Since the last update, I think in early Jan, my laptop is draining a lot of battery in sleep state. This does not use to happen before, can you please let me know what is going wrong there? Battery goes from 100% to 20% in like 18 hours when the lid is down.

Thanks.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2018 19:00

I have the exact same problem as you mentioned. I've installed all the latest updates, that didn't help. Makes me think its got something to do with Windows 10 rather than the BIOS, as the problem doesn't appear in linux (Ubuntu 16.04).

Your reply doesn't solve @Cmilj's problem in any way, @robert p

81 Posts

February 24th, 2018 08:00

It might be a problem with Bluetooth devices waking up your notebook - of course if you have such peripherals connected/paired (your laptop might be running even with a lid closed). Such issue was described here (for 9370 though): https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9370-missing-quot-power-management-tab-quot-to-disable-wake/m-p/5829008

1 Message

April 1st, 2018 10:00

I have also had this issue since I got my XPS 15 9650 with 32GB RAM last October. With previous laptops I would have had some battery drain during sleep, but nothing as bad as with this Dell. If I close the lid on the laptop at night, it will be guaranteed to be dead if I go to use it the next evening. Previous laptops I had would always have eventually hibernated.

There also seems to be a problem with hibernation on this Dell. Most of the time if I try to hibernate manually to test it does not work, and find that it has only switched off the screen.

October 18th, 2018 12:00

Hello,

I am facing the same problem. Usually I put my laptop on sleep mode and put it in my backpack - when I remove it the next day there is substantial battery loss and heat generation. My full laptop pouch is hot. This did not happen with my old HP laptop. It worked flawless.

I request you please try to address this issue at the user level. Because at this instant I am wanting to go back to HP.

Thanks.

-SM

11 Posts

October 19th, 2018 00:00

The Dell XPS 13 9370 does not boot like modern laptops. It takes nearly 30 seconds for full bootup which is slower than my 7 year old MBP and also slower than my 3 year old Samsung NP740. In fact 30 seconds is good (and it has been like that from day one)...sometimes it dogs for 40+ seconds.

9 Posts

October 19th, 2018 04:00

Same here and it also Turn on the XPS randomly which I don't know, it so danger !!! Last time I put it in Sleep mode, then put into my computer bag,  when I was in aircraft. lucky I take it out before take off. my XPS hot as **bleep**. 

9 Posts

October 19th, 2018 04:00

I have try many different way to fix this stupid problem, cause my XPS have sound problem, also have Sleep Mode problem, it will turn on randomly. then I have to try to fix it, cos it turn on in my computer bag when I was in aircraft which very danger. 

Here is the way I try, at the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound  -> Power Options -> System Setting -> I change all the "Sleep" to " Hibernate " for now Sound and Sleep Mode problem seem better, I am not sure it work or help,. as all we know the sound problem will comeback few days maybe. for all you guys facing this problems if have time try this see it can help,. thanks.

Cos this High-end XPS cost me US$3375, I just want it work normal

P.S Dell have no idea why cause the sound crackling problem as they reply. they just try to replace this or that to waste the time. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

@DESman wrote:

Same here and it also Turn on the XPS randomly which I don't know, it so danger !!! Last time I put it in Sleep mode, then put into my computer bag,  when I was in aircraft. lucky I take it out before take off. my XPS hot as **bleep**. 

Could you do something to give us some specific info?  Open an admin command prompt and enter

powercfg /a

and copy and paste the listing.  I don't know if your system is involved with this but just in case it is we need to know.

9 Posts

October 19th, 2018 11:00

The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
    Hibernate
    Fast Startup
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
        This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.
    Standby (S2)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    Standby (S3)
    Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
        Connectivity in standby is not supported.

September 10th, 2019 08:00

My mac keeps charged for days with just closing it. My XPS 15 9575 not so much

No Events found!