Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2018 13:00

XPS 15 9560, I tried to password protect my UEFI BIOS, need help

I set a UEFI BIOS ADMIN password.  Now, every time I turn on my computer I have to enter a password before it will turn on.  This is not what I wanted.  I only wanted to keep people out of the UEFI BIOS menu and have my computer start like it always did.  When I want to enter the UEFI BIOS menu by pressing F2, I should see a password prompt upon pressing F2.  Otherwise I should boot normally.

I cleared the password.  Now I boot without password.

Dell XPS 15 9560

UEFI BIOS Version 1.11.0

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 14th, 2018 15:00

In the BIOS setup of my XPS 13 9350, there are separate items for Admin Password and System Password.  The Admin Password is the correct one for what you want to achieve, but it sounds like somehow the System Password got set.  I would go back into your BIOS, make sure both are clear, then set the Admin Password and save changes.  Then double-check to make sure the System Password didn't also get set somehow, or clear it if it did.

October 15th, 2018 18:00

I solved it with help from jphughan.

What I did was to clear all passwords, admin, and system passwords.  The Dell XPS 15 9560, only has 2 passwords, admin, and system.  I cleared both.  Then I set an admin password.  Then I set an system password.  I rebooted into Windows.  Then I rebooted again, and was again greeted by the boot password prompt as I expected, and wanted.  I entered the password, and entered setup.  I then cleared the system password.  I kept the admin password.  I rebooted into Windows, and then rebooted again, and there was no boot password prompt, YAY!  I rebooted again, and entered the setup, and confirmed that with an admin password set that no changes could be made to the UEFI BIOS.  I knew I could do better, and ticked the setting for disallowing user access to UEFI BIOS setup.  This setting only provides a password prompt if you try to enter the UEFI BIOS via F2 or the Windows Settings/Recovery page.  Otherwise there is no longer is a boot password prompt.

Thank you.
No Events found!