XPS

Last reply by 02-05-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

XPS 15 9560 RAM issues

Hi!

I have an XPS 15 9560 that is almost 4 years old.

Everything was fine until a week ago, but one evening I updated all my drivers (via Nvidia GeForce Experience and Dell Update), I don't know if there was any influence but the timing seems suspicious.

The very next day my computer screen started to shut down for no apparent reason (the rest of the computer remained on, fans and LEDs) forcing me to turn it off and then restart it by pressing the on/off button. Then it turned back on normally, turned off again in the same way twice in the afternoon before not turning off anymore and running well until I put it away at the end of the day.

Then, when I got home, it wouldn't turn back on and I got 2x orange and 4x white flashing error LEDs, which according to the Dell website means a problem with the RAM. I removed the cover and decided to try to swap the 2 RAM units (2 x 4 GB). When I rebooted, everything was fine and it worked for an entire evening without any problem.

I thought the problem was solved, but when I turned on the computer again on the train, I got the same error code, and then when I tried again, I got the normal Dell boot screen, but with artifacts forming a checkerboard pattern on the whole screen without going further into the boot... I put it away and when I got home, I tried again and strangely it appears to be booting and running correctly since I'm writing this message from the XPS.

Would you have any idea of the origin of the problem, and if so, what solutions I could try?

Thanks in advance

Reply (1)

Hello, We see you are looking for assistance. If you need our help, you can start a Private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor