2 Bronze

XPS 15 9560. Recording devices tab, no audio devices are installed.

Essentially, it can't detect the inbuilt recording device nor can it detect when I plug in headphones.
This is only the case for the recording device. It has worked in the past, though it stopped working one day and I've been putting it off for a while.

I've tried the following...
- Reinstalling drivers, uninstalling them and downloading fresh drivers from the website. Drivers include all the audio ones. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: XPS 15 9560. Recording devices tab, no audio devices are installed.

Hi Deerdido,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies your system is not performing as expected.

Here is some information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

How do I resolve audio issues on my Dell computer?

How to Fix Audio Problems in Windows 10

How to Fix Audio Problems

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hey thanks for the response. I've tried pretty much all this, and more. Uninstalling of drivers, reinstalling, downloading drivers from website. Nothing.

Interestingly enough doing troubleshoot problems comes up with this "Audio services not responding" "Not fixed".

Ontop of this I've noticed some strange differences. 

I don't have any access to Realtek HD Audio Manager, nor does the Realtek HD Audio appear in device manager, only Realtek Audio does.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Hello. I don't understanding some of your description of the problem.

"can't detect the inbuilt recording device "

Is the internal microphone the inbuilt Recording device you mean?

"... when I plug in headphones. This is only the case for the recording device."

Headphones would work with the Playback device.

So do you mean when you look at the lists of devices in the Windows Sound dialog, Realtek shows up as a device on the Playback tab and does not show up on the Recording tab?

=====================================================

"Interestingly enough doing troubleshoot problems comes up with this "Audio services not responding" "Not fixed".

"I don't have any access to Realtek HD Audio Manager, nor does the Realtek HD Audio appear in device manager, only Realtek Audio does."

As an experiment, try switching from the Realtek driver to the Windows native audio driver. The native driver does not use or need the Realtek/Waves software (the laptops with Realtek now use the Waves control panel, no longer have Realtek/Dell HD Audio Manager), and doesn't use Realtek audio services, just the regular Windows audio related services and if any of those are off then installing the driver "should" turn them back on.

1. Open the Device Manager
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall. (I'm not sure if the item you see "Realtek Audio" is the same thing or not. See note below about contacting Saltgrass.)
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop.

When the laptop boots up it will look for the Realtek files that were removed in step 4. If none found then it will install the native driver. If an earlier version of a Realtek driver had been downloaded then its files could still be in the laptop and Windows would install that version of the Realtek, not the native driver. So after step 5, go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until "Realtek High Definition Audio" no longer appears under Sound...Controllers. If you see "High Definition Audio Device" that is the native driver, although in Win10 it can have a different name.

If you can get the native driver installed okay but the problems remain, probably a hardware issue. If the native driver balks at even installing, could be either a software issue or hardware.

The forum member Saltgrass knows more about those XPS models than I do. You might try contacting him. At least he can tell you what you should be seeing in Device Manager, and about the Waves controls.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I'll have to get back to you on this one, I've encountered a whole new error that has taken priority. 
"No bootable devices found." Which is a bit more pressing now, seeing as I can't get to my desktop.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9560. Recording devices tab, no audio devices are

I have encoutered the same problem. What helped me was disabling microphone in BIOS, boot into OS, then again reboot and enable mic in BIOS. 

0 Kudos