Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 15 9560 + X-Rite i1 Display Pro + Dell Premiere Color

I'm really annoyed by this. I reinstalled DPC.. at least it's the only software with which i can edit color profiles and make them persist at reboot πŸ˜•

I tried to trick it by switching via file explorer one of it's profiles with the one produced by xrite's software (renaming it). It did not work.

I contacted Portrait's tech support using the appropiate button in DPC, i reported the problem with calibration wizard. Hope that they are going to fix it.

Where can i find the contact module for the xrite support? I want to explain this problem to them

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Regarding the Intel driver...

Its component dynamically detects display configuration changes (such as connect/disconnect external display etc) and applies certain changes like window resizing/moving and maybe other things. Certain DisplayCal instructions recommend disabling it, but are applicable to an older version (filenames have changed).

In the past, black-level issues were known to result from certain combinations of BIOS and Intel graphics driver versions with the XPS 15. Also setting gamma to around 1.3 (???) in Intel HD graphics control panel / color settings used to be important for black levels (in the absence of the bad kind of the problem) but isn't available anymore. The colour settings inthere affect the colors when profiles are active, so any spurious changes of these values might cause problems of this sort. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So do you have any idea on how can i solve this? Settings in intel panel should be all off.. And yes, i know the difference betweeb color managed and not managed applications πŸ™‚ The problem however happens after reboot on google chrome, when i check this table: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Before rebooting the chart looks fine. So even if chrome should not be a color managed application i assume that something wrong is happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

@Nicespin wrote:

So do you have any idea on how can i solve this? Settings in intel panel should be all off.. And yes, i know the difference betweeb color managed and not managed applications πŸ™‚ The problem however happens after reboot on google chrome, when i check this table: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Before rebooting the chart looks fine. So even if chrome should not be a color managed application i assume that something wrong is happening.

I don't claim to know how to solve this ;( I'm just saying that black level issues have been around for a long while, at a certain time resulting from a BIOS + Intel driver mismatch. Then, some initial levels were totally black, followed by a rapid change to much brighter, which would result in blocky video in dark areas. Also, a profile problem with the 9560 was more recently found and not solved by Anandtech who are much more qualified than me. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11670/the-dell-xps-15-9560-review-infinity-edge-part-two/5

As much as I understand, the settings in the Intel panel can't be off. The display in CM programs changes if you drag the sliders, just like if you adjust contrast/brightness on the monitor. So it is important to set good values before calibration (for instance, that the black levels are reasonable, so that less aggressive correction is needed, mind 8 bits are borderline enough for wide gamut panels), and that they don't get changed afterwards by some weird chance. Alternatively, your new color profile (for CM programs) and or LUT (for non-CM) might be disappearing or getting deactivated by sth. Can you verify which is the case? 

Latest Chrome version is color managed 

Yes, for quite a while. Though I'm not sure if this also works on a secondary display. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

"Alternatively, your new color profile (for CM programs) and or LUT (for non-CM) might be disappearing or getting deactivated by sth."

I ado agree. @Nicepin: you could also try to remove Dell or Xrite software and to replace both by DisplayCal software.

I say this because I find DisplayCal  profile loader to be better at verifying that color profile is correctly applied in real time.

DisplayCal if installed properly is bypassing Windows color management process to a full "DisplayCal color management process" which is much more accurate: DisplayCal Install

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I will try DisplayCal and then inform you πŸ™‚

What do you mean for "sth"?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

News: i think that Display Cal solved the problem! Calibration persists and gets loaded at startup even after hard-restart. I hope it will keep doing so πŸ™‚ Thank you all very much for your support. I will let you know if it stops working haha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Very nice, and not surprised as displaycal bypass windows color management.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Bad news.. during this week i noticed a problem in the calibration i did with displaycal.

Some levels of gray/black are too bright!

Looking at the lagom contrast test (this one: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php) bars from 3 to 6 are strange.. they look like the same but they are still distinguishable, and they have a strange washed-out color.

In the black levels test (this one: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php) i can't see any difference in almost all the boxes, except for the number 1 and the number 40 (and of course 255)

I noticed this even in google chrome, when there is no connection and that dinosaur game appears on the screen.. i can see a box around it, like if the white of the game is brighter than the white of the chrome's webpage. I notice this also around the home/reload buttons.. what??

Is this a problem?

0 Kudos