Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2018 02:00

XPS 15 9560 & Oculus Rift setup help

I just bought an oculus rift and I'm trying to get it set up on my XPS 15 9560 but the HDMI isn't recognising. I read that it might possibly try running on the integrated graphics rather than the geforce GTX 1050 but at the very least I should have something showing up but nothing. Anyone who has rift know how to fix this issue?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 7th, 2018 08:00

The Oculus Rift is designed to be directly connected to the nVidia GPU.  Your system does not operate this way - the HDMI connector and internal screen are hardwired to the Intel GPU only  -- the nVidia GPU is just a co-processor.  There is no way to change this setup;  it's the way the system is engineered.

There are plenty of Reddit posts and posts on Oculus' tech forums about the issue - the hardware does not work with software-controlled hybrid video (i.e., Optimus, AMD's Catalyst hybrid setup, etc.). 

You'll need a notebook with hardware control of the video (Alienware or Precision, from Dell) to run the Oculus VR.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 7th, 2018 10:00

I have a Samsung Mixed Reality headset I use on my Inspiron 7567 Gaming.  It seems to put quite a bit of stress on the system but does work. 

I don't think the Oculus does Mixed Reality, so what are you trying to use the headset with?  I have a Vive Pro on my Desktop gaming system and use the Steam VR software.  You might check out the Steam community sites for Steam VR or Oculus..

The Task Manager Performance tab does show video usage for both Intel and Nvidia so you will know what is being used.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 23:00

Thanks, I actually called Dell and asked them if it was connected to the Graphics card or integrated and an employee actually told me the HDMI was connected to the GPU which was obviously BS. I've had a lot of hassle with Dell in the past so this will be my last purchase from them due to many issues other than this.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 9th, 2018 04:00

As was mentioned, the Nvidia GPU is not like a Desktop system where you plug directly into the card.  It is used to supplement the Intel video in certain circumstances, at least that is the way I understand it.  I would attach a picture of the Task Manager but I don't know if we can yet attach pictures in this forum.

You did not explain how you are trying to use the headset which means, what software are you using.

If you do get it to work, be very aware of demands on a non-gaming system.  My 7567 has two large fans that spin up to high rates during usage of the Samsung Odyssey headset and the Windows Mixed Reality.

No Events found!