Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

October 26th, 2020 20:00

XPS 15 9560 battery charge issue

Hello all, I'm looking for some help with this issue after many attempts at other solutions. Basically, starting about two weeks ago, the battery in my XPS 15 9560 (running windows 10 64bit) won't charge at all. Here are some observations based on my troubleshooting thus far: I can run the laptop off of AC power but any interruption and it immediately shuts off. I can also run the laptop with the battery fully disconnected, but this results in slow performance and the fans are clearly struggling to run without the battery, which is odd considering that the battery shows no charge but clearly still affects my performance. I have updated my BIOS and all other relevant drivers to the latest available versions. Also, when I look at diagnostics in the BIOS, it correctly identifies my AC adaptor as a 130w unit and rates my battery health as excellent. One last important point is that this battery is a replacement after the first suffered from the common battery swell issue. Do you think this is a problem in the new battery or the motherboard, or is there another component which could be causing this malfunction? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 27th, 2020 04:00

If the new battery is OEM Dell, the problem is likely with the system board, not the battery.

If it's a third party battery, it could be either the battery or the mainboard;  the only way to know for sure is to install an OEM battery.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2020 09:00

It is a Dell battery. Oh well, I have had this laptop for a while now.

No Events found!