Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

June 27th, 2020 07:00

XPS 15 9560 blinking amber light, but battery not swollen

Hi. My XPS 15 9560 has been working fine for about two years. No problem with the battery life whatsoever. Then one day, out of nowhere, the battery wouldn't charge, and the notebook has amber light blinking.

My quick search on the internet => battery is dead. Most people who reported this problem has the battery swollen. But mine looks fine.

So my guess is that it's more likely software-related... Anybody has this issue before, or know how I should proceed?

Alternatively, if it can't be fixed, would there be a way to know if replacing the battery would definitely fix this problem?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 27th, 2020 08:00

Remove the base cover and disconnect the battery - if the system runs fine with no issues, yes - it's just the battery that needs to be replaced.

Not all batteries swell when dead, nor are all swollen batteries dead.  However, completely dead batteries do commonly start to swell, so if the battery is dead - dispose of it and replace it as soon as possible.

5 Posts

June 27th, 2020 20:00

A few days ago I updated the BIOS on my 9560, shortly after the update i had the same symptoms and my battery was reported to need to be replaced, I had no problem before at all. Despite taking apart the computer and resetting the CMOS and discharging the flea power. I still have this issue.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2020 20:00

I should also note a number of other people had the same problem discussed here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Amber-Light-Blinking/td-p/7463540

June 30th, 2020 11:00

"A few days ago I updated the BIOS on my 9560, shortly after the update i had the same symptoms and my battery was reported to need to be replaced, I had no problem before at all. Despite taking apart the computer and resetting the CMOS and discharging the flea power. I still have this issue."

It's a shame that simply updating the BIOS can cause this. I am a tech idiot, so I don't get all the technical nuances, lingo, etc. However, tech aside, updating something, getting something current, getting something improved, etc. -- shouldn't cause a major problem like this.  Perhaps I am wrong. 

5 Posts

June 30th, 2020 11:00

Heads up, my battery started swelling last night. Keep an eye on your trackpad and if it feels weird it may be swelling.

No Events found!