Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9560, crashing constantly a few minutes into games

Hello, my XPS 15 9560 keeps crashing a few minutes into games.

The problem began a month or so ago and affected all games, even low-intensity games such as Hearthstone and Throne of Lies. I stopped using the laptop and forgot about it, but today I tried to play some more intensive games (Fortnite and Civ 6) and it happened again. The screen freezes a few minutes in, often around the time you move from the menu in a game to the actual gameplay, and you have to press the power button down to shut it off. Sometimes when I turn it back on, it won’t boot properly, so I have to repeat the process.

Could someone please help me? I already have to use my laptop at 80% processor state because otherwise it starts to melt whenever I play anything newer than Pong.

Thanks!

P.S. it’s just frozen as I wrote this post (supportassist was running in the background doing tests so perhaps that did it) so I’m writing this off my phone. The irony!

16 Posts

November 20th, 2018 09:00

@manzifa45

Dude, that video is CORRECT. I personally simply disabled the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework service in the Services app and I seem to get very reasonable performance.

I also run ThrottleStop and undervolted a bit... I keep it open when gaming to keep an eye on temps but everything has been great so far.

1 Message

March 18th, 2018 02:00

same problem in here.

Very often while simply using the laptop, the screen is feezing, sometimes with a transient and then a black screen, sometime just the screen is freezing, sometimes screen freezes with stripes ...  it's a terrible experience.  I did all the updates, even tried to restored windows and starting all over from scratch, but still i have the same problem.  

Did you find a solution ?

4 Posts

May 26th, 2018 01:00

I have exactly the same issue with my XPS 15 9070. All updates installed, Gefroce updated and reinstalled, factory reset and nothing worked

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 23:00

The same here. I brought my xps 15 9560 this February. Frequent crashing started from May. Games are fine for my laptop but several power point and  Chrome pages can freeze the screen. But the music kept playing for a while before everything stopped working. I have update all drivers. SupportAssist scan hardware shows pass every time. Did you find a solution?

4 Posts

June 4th, 2018 00:00

After I found out that this issue affected many people with also older models (my post: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-1970-crashes-in-game-GPU-86-degree-celsius/m-p/6086289#M11373).

489 Posts

June 4th, 2018 03:00

Try monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures, clock frequencies, and throttling flags using HWinfo64, to see if the temperatures are too high and if you have thermal or power-limit throttling prior to freeze. You may need to clean dust from the fans or/and undervolt, repaste... 

Freezing/crashing isn't normal - the laptop should downthrottle instead even if cooling isn't working best. Try rolling back the Intel DPTF driver. 

1 Message

July 1st, 2018 11:00

I have the Same Problem. Xps9560 crashes alot when using graphic intensive Software Like Games or 3d rendered Software. I try mutiple solutions but Problem seems to continue. 

:(

July 21st, 2018 23:00

Same exact problem with Dell Inspiron. Never buying a Dell again.

1 Message

October 29th, 2018 02:00

Hy Everyone, I had the same problem when I played CIVILIZATION VI and I realized that it was obviously related to having disabled the Virtual Memory windows. I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with 16 GB of virtual memory, I thought that it was enough but no for this game. Did you change this option in windows for optimize the performance ?

1 Message

November 19th, 2018 13:00

Hey guys, I seem to have a found a solution. Far cry 5 was crashing on my XPS 15 9570 every 5-10min, just found a solution on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAzavPMIPM I leave here the link. It seem to work with mine, undervolted to -115mv, the temps are not that bad. give it a try and hopefully it will work with yours too.

No Events found!