Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2019 10:00

XPS 15 9560, dead battery. Help please?

Hi all,

I bought my XPS 15 9560 from Ebay a little over a year ago (13-14 months ago at the time of writing to be precise). The device had been working wonderfully (7-8 hours of battery life every day) until just a couple of days ago. The battery suddenly started discharging faster than usual and one day it decided to stop charging completely, to the point that the laptop won't turn on unless plugged in to the AC charger. BIOS says that it needs to be replaced (how come? it's just 13-14 months old!) and Windows says the apparently well known "plugged in, not charging" message. Blinking amber light and all that.

The problem is that I'm not in the US so I can't return the laptop even if its warranty was still valid, so my only choice is to buy a replacement from Ebay and have it shipped to my country somehow (that, or to throw the laptop into a river and buy another laptop from a different brand but I really don't want to do that).

I don't know which battery model will fit my laptop. If it helps, the purchase invoice says: "Item 451-BBYB 97WHr, 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery." Hard drive (I guess it matters?) is "item 400-APWK 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive."

Can anyone please tell me which one do I need to buy?

Thanks in advance for your time.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 14th, 2019 12:00

Sorry about the confusion. There are 2 battery options available with this model.

56WHR, 3 Cell battery - Part # 5D91C & CP6DF        

97WHR, 6 Cell battery - Part # 5XJ28 & GPM03    

9.4K Posts

February 14th, 2019 10:00

Hi caberachector,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

I'm sure you are aware that batteries do not last forever.  The normal life period for a laptop batter is about a year to a year and a half.  Here is some Frequently asked questions regarding Dell batteries you may find helpful.  Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions 

Additionally here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell Notebook Battery Warranty Support

Dell Battery Selector

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

February 14th, 2019 11:00

Hi Robert, thanks for chiming in.

However, this line tells me you skimmed through my comments which isn't really nice of you:

If there is no warranty (...)

If you read my comments again, you'll notice I said:

The problem is that I'm not in the US so I can't return the laptop even if its warranty was still valid, so my only choice is to buy a replacement from Ebay and have it shipped to my country somehow (...)

The call-the-Out-of-Warranty-team option is no good either because, again, I'm not in the US. I bought this laptop from Dell's account on Ebay during 2017's Black Friday and had it shipped to my country afterwards.

I can't buy a battery via the Dell's Battery Selector either because there's apparently none available for my laptop's model:

Capture.JPG

Hence, as I said on my previous comment, it seems my only option now is to buy a battery replacement from Ebay or any other online store. All I need to know is which battery model will fit my laptop so I can buy it. Could you please help me with this?

February 14th, 2019 12:00

Thanks SreejithR, that's the answer I was looking for.

It seems there are a couple of sellers on eBay who have the 5XJ28 variant so I guess I'll go with that one being the battery that came with my device the 6 cells one.

I'll keep you guys posted.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2019 02:00

Wat is the difference between 5D91C & CP6DF ?

9.4K Posts

July 30th, 2019 04:00

Hi atamgp,

Thanks for posting.  Thanks for the question about battery part numbers.  The difference between the two part numbers is the manufacturer of the battery.  

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to me in a private message.  Please include your computer's service tag along with your name, address and email.  Thanks.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2019 05:00

Hi Robert,

Thank you for getting back. Which of the 2 would you advice for the new 2019 XPS 7590?

Gr Atam

9.4K Posts

August 1st, 2019 06:00

The battery is basically the same.  It's like asking if you were looking for a car and you asked a mechanic which to buy; Ford or Chevrolet. 

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 19:00

Are those parts compatible with the 9550?

No Events found!