Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

June 26th, 2021 03:00

XPS 15 9560, is not compatible with Windows 11

Hello,

DELL disabled the TPM on many XPS 15 9560 with it's BIOS 1.19.2 on June 2020. (See https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9560-firmware-1-19-2-Alert-TPM-is-not-detected/td-p/7636375 for more information).

More than 1 year later, DELL has still not fix this major issue. To this day the only "solution" provided by the community is to hide the error message by downgrading the BIOS to the 1.15 firmware. The TPM is still disabled.

It was already a major issue as it forbids us to use Bitlocker for instance. And the situation just got worse as

Microsoft announced Windows 11 will required an active TPM.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
"Minimum system requirements : Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0"
You can check if your XPS 15 9560 will still work with this official "Check Your PC Health" tool provided by Microsoft: https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2021 03:00

BIOS/TPM 2.0 does not matter on this model.  Tech specs list 7th gen Intel CPU.  MINIMUM requirement is 8th gen Intel CPU.   

I have the same problem with my Inspiron 15 5577 model. It has a 7th gen Intel CPU and is not Win 11 compatible.

Dell computers tested for upgrade to Windows 11

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

August 1st, 2021 08:00

The XPS 9560 isn't on the Windows 11 compatibility list.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-in/000187485/dell-computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-11#XPS-NB-W11a

Beyond that, since it uses a 7th generation CPU, it's not on Microsoft's compatibility list either, and recent industry rumors have Microsoft strictly hewing to its published "nothing older than 8th generation" requirements.  So, even if you get the pre-release version to load, you'll be reverting to Windows 10 once that arrives.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-says-you-cannot-ignore-windows-11-requirements

5 Posts

June 26th, 2021 05:00

Ouch! I missed this information. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So now I have to hope for MS to revise this crazy policy on 7th gen CPU (it looks like the announcement made a lot of unhappy people... hopefully MS will concede under the pressure...) and DELL to fix its TMP issue. It looks like I will need a LOT of luck to run Windows 11 on my XPS 15 9560.

June 26th, 2021 09:00

Hi everyone, it's not related but, I upgrade my Dell Latitude E6430 windows 10 to 11, however: I cannot upgrade my Dell XPS 15 9560!!! Fix it DELL fix it !!!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 26th, 2021 10:00

As stated above you do realize that if MS decides not to make Windows 11 compatible with any pre 8th Generation Intel CPUs, there is nothing that Dell can do to rectify the problem. That is purely an MS decision.

But still, Dell can fix the bios downgrade issues right!! 

Yes, I saw the message it says processor is not compatible. I understand, but my laptop is not that old right?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

I apologize as I misunderstood your question. Dell may release another BIOS update but those are released on a need to correct issues. They can be quite spaced apart and in some cases are not updated at all so I can sympathize with your frustration.

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 27th, 2021 04:00

The BIOS downgrade likely won't address the problem as Microsoft will mandate a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot that has been patched to address the GRUB2 Security Exploit found in June 2020. You will need both an updated UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot and a TPM 2.0 to be enabled to get the baseline security required for Windows 11.

Regarding the generation of processor itself, the XPS 15 9560 has a 6th Generation Intel (Skylake). Microsoft have responded to my feedback in the Windows Feedback App regarding these processors:

feedback.PNG

On Windows 10 you can press [Windows] and [ f ], sign into the Feedback app with a Microsoft Account and then search for the Feedback above and add an additional comment.

Support 6th Generation (Skylake) and 7th generation (Kabylake) Processors for Windows 11

The Windows 11 PC Check reports the OptiPlex 7040 (6th Generation Intel Processor) and OptiPlex 7050 (7th Generation Intel Processor) systems to be incompatible. The system requirements are a bit more elevated than I would have expected. I personally would expect Windows 11 to work on 6th (Skylake) and 7th (Kabylake) Generation Intel Processors which are from around 2016-2017. Moreover i5-6xxx, i7-6xxx, i5-7xxx and i7-7xxx have a marginal difference in system performance and technologies available compared to i3-8xxx and are superior to the supported Atom and Celeron products. These processors also meet all of Windows 11 other system requirements and Dell have stated that all Skylake Systems have regarding a Trusted Platform Module (TPM Version 2.0) c.f. Dell Article Number: 000103639 and a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot patched to address the GRUB2 Security Exploit c.f Dell Article Number: 000177589.

Microsoft Response:

Steve Dispensa @dispensa [VP of PM, Microsoft Endpoint Manager and Windows Commercial] https://twitter.com/dispensa/status/1408577130946994176?s=20 "The chipset requirement is based on a bunch of factors, including supportability, capabilities, quality, and reliability so we can ensure everyone has a great experience. We're working on a blog post with more info, coming soon."

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 27th, 2021 05:00

Everybody needs to keep in mind the current restrictions being discussed are for the Windows Insiders which should get the OS this week.  Over the next 6 months, those restrictions may change.

Also, this was probably mentioned, the Intel PTT performs the same function as a TPM chip.  So look for that in your Bios and any security firmware update your system has and you may need to check using your service tag.. (Don't make your service tag public)

I do remember upgrading the firmware on at least one of my systems to 2.0..

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 28th, 2021 22:00

Microsoft have released the first Dev Insider Preview Build of Windows 11. It looks like they have a traffic light system with:

Green: Meeting Windows 11 Hardware Requirements

Amber: Not Meeting Windows 11 Hardware Requirements but Meeting Minimum Requirements for the Windows Insider Program

Red: Not Meeting Requirements for the Windows Insider Program

With the amber category, installation is allowed but there is a warning about a possible degraded experience and some features not working properly. It seems to install without issue on a 6th Generation and 7th Generation unsupported processor which otherwise have all the other required features.

Philip_Yip_0-1624945045323.png

Preparing for Insider Preview Builds of Windows 11 | Windows Insider Blog

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 1st, 2021 04:00

As has been mentioned, the 7th Gen processors are not being viewed as compatible by Microsoft.  I have 4 systems with that processor.  Hopefully, that will change prior to the public release of Win 11.

Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2021 07:00

@Cambsguy  Since you are probably an Insider in the DEV channel, the restrictions do not seem to apply.  I have to assume for regular folks, some of those restrictions will stay in place when Win 11 is available to the public.

But your experience with the OS may vary based on what might be enforced and how.  I am waiting for the Beta channel to go to Win 11 to see if my 7th Gen processor will be allowed even as an Insider.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 07:00

I have just installed windows 11 on my XPS 9560 with no issues what so ever, it runs much faster than win 10 to be honest...

No Events found!