Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2018 11:00

XPS 15 9560, sluggish

I have an XPS 15 9560 which was purchased in May last year. 16GB memory with 512 GB SDD. It is running current Windows 10 and current BIOS. I have noticed recently that the computer is slow at just about everything. Programs load slowly. Windows File explorer opens slowly. Web pages are slow to open. Is this something others have noticed? Is this something caused by Windows 10 recent updates? My 2013 MacBook Pro is much faster. Any thoughts on why such high end hardware would be so sluggish? Any suggestions on how to speed it up? No viruses or malware are detected.

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 05:00

I had a similar problem, the CPU core was frozen to 0.78 GHz only, the multiplier was still at 8x and didn' change. So working with compiling things were frustrating. I tried to downgrade the BIOS from 1.12.1 to 1.5.0 and 1.7, no success. I can't find any failure, all tests in the bios return pass. Since I installed a Linux Arch system as another OS on the XPS 15 9560, I could rule out the possibility that the mistake was in Windows OS. The only thing which helped me: I took the laptop apart and disconnected the battery (Li-Ion accumulator) of the notebook wait a minute and connect again, and voila - it performs again!

1 Message

May 8th, 2019 12:00

I've spent ages trying to fix this issue, and TomDollar's suggestion of disconnecting the battery was the saviour!  My laptop is back to running perfectly again.  Thanks so much.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 31st, 2018 17:00

If the computer still is sluggish:

Run the diagnostic tool to check Hardware on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals (except AC adapter).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode. After hard drive test finished, select Memory and Thorough Test Mode.Report back any error code.

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech Support)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 31st, 2018 17:00

Please power off system. Remove all peripherals, and AC adapter. If the system is receiving WIFI / Internet from a cable modem or router,unplug the power cables for the router / cable modem from the wall outlet and then wait a few minutes. Plug the power cables back into the wall outlet and replace AC adapter. Please wait a few minutes for the modem and router to fully power on. After, power on system, hopefully computer is a lot faster.

19 Posts

February 1st, 2018 06:00

I have no access to the modem and router as they are in the unit next door and the landlord isn't there. That said, it's hard to see how that could be the problem anyway. It's the computer that's slow, not the network. Web pages open quickly. Some programs open slowly and they run slowly. For example, with nothing else open or running, File Explorer takes 5 full seconds to open. It should be instantaneous. Very strange.

19 Posts

February 1st, 2018 13:00

I ran the full suite of diagnostics as requested. There were no errors found. All tests passed. 

81 Posts

February 1st, 2018 14:00

1) Recent updates, that "fixes"  issues with Meltdown and Spectre attacks for Intel processors may cause some performance issues. There are apps that allows to check that those updates were applied on your machine and allow to disable/enable them to verify whether they caused any problems (ie. program named GRC Inspectre).

2) Check (take a look at process manager and system stats) whether some app running in the background is not  heavily eating your CPU/RAM?

3) Scan your PC, to check for virues, or some cryptocurrency miner running in the background. Try to use other antivirus software than right now (if you use any).

4) Its good practice to perform clean Windows installation from time-to-time; After 1 year+ it typically runs slower than at the beginning.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 16:00

You using Chrome as your browser? You tried a different browser to see if the issues still occurred? 

March 21st, 2018 06:00

If you have the Killer Wireless WLAN card installed change it or get Dell to change it. I have had the same sluggish issues: Chrome slow to open pages; browsing in general was slow; slow programmes loading; slow booting.

This morning I replaced the Killer Wireless WLAN card with an Intel 8265 card and now the whole system is significantly quicker in every way: booting; programmes loading; browsing the internet (I use Chrome but tested FF and Edge - all worked far more quickly).

5 Posts

March 24th, 2018 05:00

• Download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from here

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

• Click on 'All Controls' tab on the left.

• Set the 'Turbo Boost Power Max' slider to 45 (the TPD of your processor)

• Click on yellow 'apply' on right.

• Watch in amazement as your laptop stops performing like a tablet.

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 7577 and the cpu was set to 5.5 instead of 45, which was the cause of the lag and terrible performance.

March 26th, 2018 22:00

thankyou thankyou Towels,

• Download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from here

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

It worked for me: xps 15 9560 slow and sluggish, been chasing this on and off for weeks

My cpu boost was set to 5.5 instead of 45 (and 45 is the "recommended", so not even overclocking)

New setting takes off like a rocket.

Why was it set like that? and why this forum post doesn't rank higher in slow / sluggish PC

2 Posts

May 1st, 2018 16:00

Same problem here. ITB SSD, 32GB, and I7. Worst computer I have ever bought and at a very dear price.  I have tried everything to get it to work but to no avail. Its so bad I don't even want to try to fix the thing anymore. 

22 Posts

May 27th, 2018 05:00

@KingsleyfsWhat settings exactly did you change? I am having the exact same issue on my pc but i can't find the settings you mention in the tool provided. Can you be a bit more specific please? Thank you!

3 Posts

May 29th, 2018 13:00

Same Problem here. Bought the 9560 over a year ago and I am extremely disappointed and frustrated. Most expensive laptop I ever bought and also the worst experience ever. Had the lagging/stuttering, as well as the wifi issue, spent hours on the hotline and on blogs, replaced the killer wifi with intel, updated the bios, intel graphics etc. etc. 

It got acceptable after that, but still far from a smooth experience.  It's not that you don't get reasonable performance doing benchmarks or sth., but is just slow in every day situations.

Now, after a year, it has gotten really bad again  and I am just tired of trying to fix this machine over and over again. I do not care, if it is a Win 10 issue, a driver issue or just bad components - When I buy a ~1800€ laptop, I expect it to just sit on my desk an allow me to work with it! 

Office, surfing, youtube all performed better on my 5y old 850€ laptop.

22 Posts

May 29th, 2018 21:00

@RossKingyou're 100% it's ridiculous and unacceptable. Especially that they continue to refuse to do anything about it.

I now have the customer service agents recommending I replace the HDD (I hope they mean SSD)... like what? How would that be causing issues of having ONE browser open and maybe 2 other apps and when playing youtube it stutters? That has nothing to do with the harddrive. It's makes me think they will hire anyone at Dell to man those stations... if anyone has an explanation for how the HDD / SSD may be involved, I'd love to hear it cause I have no clue.

No Events found!