Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2019 05:00

XPS 15 9560 upgrade ssd with Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe

Dears, i just bought Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 for my XPS 15 9560 but couldn't install windows on it, it seems the system didn't recognize it ,any user guide please .. , need help please ?

6 Posts

May 1st, 2019 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 and 970 EVO Plus
Please read all before following steps and do so at own risk.
Over the past week I have been looking at what people have said and the problems with the above configuration. I have the Dell XPS 15 9560 with the large battery and 1 500GB ssd.
I phoned Dell Technical Support and they told me that the 970 EVO Plus could not be used in my laptop and the only 1TB that could be used would have to be sold by them, they quoted me £952.79.
This morning my 970 EVO Plus and NVMe Enclosure arrived from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPB1VR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I did, I put the drive in the enclosure and connected to the laptop with USB, windows could not see the drive. I guessed that I needed to load the 970 EVO? I tried to install the driver but that failed because it couldn’t see the drive.
Solution that worked for me was the following,
Open a Command Prompt as run as administrator then type bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal then enter. Reboot and press F12 to get into the Bios. Under system configuration/SATA Operation change RAID On to AHCI. There will be warnings but I continued (I did try to change this without safeboot and got stuck). Reboot and windows will start in safe mode.
Open the command prompt again, (I found my keyboard would not work in the search bar looking for it so had to navigate using track pad). Once open the keyboard is ok, then type bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
I then rebooted.
Windows restarted and I still could not see the new drive connected by USB. I have Acronis installed on my system so I wondered if it could see it. Yes is the answer so I used the clone disk utility, this took about 20 mins.
Out with the screwdriver and swapped ssd’s over, rebooted and to my surprise all was ok.
I had previously ran CrystalDiskMark on the stock 500GB drive and had 1634.9 MB/s Read and 793.8 MB/s Write. I ran CDM again on the 970 EVO and got 2203.2 MB/s read and 3058.2 MB/s Write.
I the installed the Samsung driver (no problems this time) and re-ran CDM, I now have 3426 MB’s Read and 3077.1 Write.
Hope this helps others

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 30th, 2019 06:00

Is this the only drive you have on your system, if not changing the Bios setting might mess the other one up.

You could try changing your Bios setting regarding the SATA controller to AHCI to see if it makes a difference. 

Normally a NVMe drive would be recognized initially, but during second boots it might be lost and not able to complete a Win 10 install.  I am assuming your system is capable because it shows a PCIe interface, but since it doesn't show any higher speeds than basic SATA drives, it may mean an M.2 SATA drive.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 30th, 2019 07:00

If it's not detected even at a BIOS level and you've already tried removing and reseating the SSD in the M.2 connector, then this may be one of the Dell systems that simply doesn't work with the 970 SSD models, for reasons that are as yet unclear.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

There have been several reports of the 970 Evo and Pro not working in certain Dell systems (meaning not even detected in the BIOS system summary readout), even though the 960 Evo and Pro work fine in those affected systems and other Dell systems work fine with the 970 models. I believe that the XPS 15 9560 is one of the affected systems, but it may just be the 9550. First go into your BIOS Setup and check the system summary/information section. Do you see the 970 Evo detected? If not, that’s likely your issue. But if you DO see it, then if your issue is that you’re not seeing it in Windows Setup, it might be because the SATA Operation setting in the BIOS is set to RAID mode (the factory default) and you’re not providing the Intel RST driver that’s necessary for Windows Setup to interface with the RAID controller in that configuration. The easiest fix if you’re reinstalling the OS anyway is to just switch that SATA Operation setting to AHCI mode instead, at which point you won’t need that driver.

5 Posts

yes this is the only dirve i have the large battery one, but still can't see the 970 evo SSD in BIOS

6 Posts

April 27th, 2019 14:00

Hi,

Did you ever get this to work? I have an XPS 15 9560 and want to upgrade to a Samsung 970  EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe.

Thanks

5 Posts

April 28th, 2019 10:00

Hi Dave,

unfortunately until now without success, dell was my first choice but i have changed my mind now.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 28th, 2019 17:00

If you have not tried, download the Intel F6 floppy drivers you can use to load during the install.

Leave the system set to RAID and start the install.  When you have the option to load the drivers, do so.

If it won't even see the drive in order to do the above procedure, make sure you are using the UEFI version of the install media..

When the 9360s came out, they were not able to use the NVMe drives as NVMe until they changed the Bios, so maybe the 9560 system is in that same situation.

I just put a Samsung 970 Pro on my Inspiron 15 7567 and it works fine..

6 Posts

May 1st, 2019 07:00

Guys,

My 970 EVO Plus arrived today and is now up and running in my Dell XPS 15 9560.

Works well but you need to do a few simple tweaks, Original stock 500GB was getting read speed of 1634.9 MB/s and write of 793.8 MB/s
Without installing the driver I got read 2203.2 MB/s and write 3058.2. after driver installed I have read 3426 and write of 3077.1.970 EVO Plus with Driver970 EVO Plus with Driver970 EVO Plus no Driver970 EVO Plus no DriverStock 500GB ssdStock 500GB ssd

5 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 12:00

thanks for your post , i've just bought NVMe Enclosure, pray for me

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 16:00

Any problems please ask to see if I can help.

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 14:00

Exactly same problem as you. I did a clone of my drive of 500Go on a 1To Samsung 970 evo and it work. But all official tools from Samsung didnt recognized it as a Samsung drive, impossible to install official drivers and Windows drive manager see it as a generic drive. 

Hopefully performance are good, as if drivers was correctly installed, but it is detected by Windows as a SCSI drive !?...

I'm trying tips given there in order to change raid mode to ahci mode, by passing in safe mode... maybe

If somebody solved this issue, i'm pretty interested to know how. Thanks

1 Message

October 25th, 2019 01:00

I had the exact same issue and figured it out!!  Download a cloning software like Acronis True Image.  I attached the samsung ssd to a usb enclosure and made a clone of my current drive.  Once done, switch the drives and voila.  Works perfectly.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 19:00

I have an XPS 15 9560, just bought the evo plus & did everything you listed. ( thank you! ) Only thing I did wrong was clone the SSD before i switched it over to AHCI in bios. When I booted up with the 970 evo plus it had to be put back to RAID in bios. I can download samsung magician but the nve driver update give me an error. I'm clocked in at 3097 read and 3039 write. Should I start over? or is there a fix?

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 13:00

I re-did bios and the driver download worked. Sigh did not think of that till way late. Note: Please disregard the previous all apologies.

Although Interesting to point out after changing bios to AHCI and downloading the driver I clocked in at 3157 read and 2838 write. I've been noticing other owners and users with slightly faster read and write info. Anyway to to achieve better readings? 

Thanks to all, 

No Events found!