Highlighted
CPo2
1 Copper

XPS 15 9560 used to output 4k @ 60hz but won't after clean install

Jump to solution
I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 (1909). Before the reinstall, I could use an external 4k monitor at 60hz using a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable. Now, 30hz is the most it will do using the same setup as before. I updated the BIOS to 1.18.0 just before the reinstall. I installed all the latest drivers from the Dell Support site after the reinstall. I installed the Intel & nVidia display drivers directly from their sites. (Side note: the Intel Display driver on the Dell Support site says it doesn't support this version of Windows) My theory is that this has something to do with the laptop not using the nVidia GPU to drive the external monitor. When I look at the nVidia Control Panel, it only shows the Manage 3D settings, and when I look at the Windows display properties, it shows the the external display is connected to the Intel HD Graphics 630. How can I get back to running the monitor at 60hz?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
CPo2
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9560 used to output 4k @ 60hz but won't after clean install

Jump to solution
This ended up being an issue with my monitor. Apparently you have to enable the HDMI Deep Color option on my LG monitor to get 4k @ 60hz.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
CPo2
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I also have the nVidia GPU selected as the global preferred graphics processor in the nVidia control panel.
Highlighted
CPo2
1 Copper

Jump to solution
This ended up being an issue with my monitor. Apparently you have to enable the HDMI Deep Color option on my LG monitor to get 4k @ 60hz.

View solution in original post