Sizhuang
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 9570 3rd party 32 GB RAM issue booting

Tested on Kingston HyperX Impact 2666 CL15. Failed. I noticed that for this module, the memory chips are by Samsung and very similar to the ones come from Dell. Hence, it is not because of the type of chips.

I noticed that if I use Kingston HyperX Impact 2666 CL15 in DIMM A with the Samsung 2666 CL19 chip in DIMM B, the system can boot and the system is configured automatically to run at 2400 MHz with CL17. This is surprising at the beginning. It is reasonable since Kingston HyperX does not support CL19, and Samsung cannot run at 2666 MHz with a CL below 19. As a result, the system choses CL 17 and 2400 MHz, which both memory modules support.

According to all the information that I have now, I guess that the system will not boot for three possible reasons:

(1) The memory module in DIMM B does not have a timing support for 2666 MHz and CL 19.

(2) The memory module in DIMM B has an XMP profile.

(3) The memory module in DIMM B has a rank of dual.

Impression is that there is surely due to the problem of BIOS. Hope this can be fixed.

Sizhuang
1 Copper

The BIOS released today (6/13/2018) does not solve the problem. It still persists.

0 Kudos

@Sizhuang wrote:

The BIOS released today (6/13/2018) does not solve the problem. It still persists.

Thanks @Sizhuang for the update. Engineering are still investigating the issue and I shall pass on this additional information.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

Hi all, 

Engineering have investigated the issue and have advised the following :

We recommend using Dell qualified XMP memory on the system purchased through Dell channels. When we offer memory for our systems we work alongside our partners to test the memory thoroughly to ensure functionality and compatibility. This is then backed up with the Dell Warranty so that the system should work as described. For 3rd party memory we cannot guarantee that they have went through the same validation and testing process. This also applies to non Dell vendors advising of compatibility.

Ultimately, we can't guarantee compatibility and functionality of 3rd party products with Dell equipment.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Spiderkle
1 Copper

Feature Request for future BIOS Updates:
Please add an Option to enable X.M.P.! Third party RAM would run just fine if the user would be allowed to set the frequency manually instead of the system choosing it automatically (which is just wrong sometimes). Most XPS users are Pros or Tech-Enthusiast and will upgrade their RAM themselves, then run into the same problems. Which is more work for you. So let us tinker and fix it ourselves.

Parman05
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan D I'm pretty disappointing in this recommendation. I understand that Dell can't guarantee functionality, but does dell plan to update the bios to address the issue?

@Sizhuang have you verified if either of these are working?

It seems that two people succeeded in using third party memory modules. One example is the Corsair CMSX32GX4M2Av2666C18. This module has a CL of 18. Another module that works is G.SKILL F4-2666C18D-32GRS. Again, this module has a CL of 18.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sizhuang
1 Copper

@Parman05I did not verify the RAMs myself, but according to evidence online and my hypothesis, they should work. I see that the price of Corsair soared from 360 to 410 just one day when this information was released.

Parman05
1 Copper

@Sizhuang Thanks for the information. Looks like i need to decide if i need to return my RAM or wait for Dell to fix the BIOS....

0 Kudos
Sizhuang
1 Copper

0 Kudos

@Parman05 wrote:

@Dell-Alan D I'm pretty disappointing in this recommendation. I understand that Dell can't guarantee functionality, but does dell plan to update the bios to address the issue?

@Sizhuang have you verified if either of these are working?

It seems that two people succeeded in using third party memory modules. One example is the Corsair CMSX32GX4M2Av2666C18. This module has a CL of 18. Another module that works is G.SKILL F4-2666C18D-32GRS. Again, this module has a CL of 18.

Thanks

@Parman05 I can't see them changing the BIOS to accommodate one particular brand of memory. BIOS updates are released to address issues rather than add functionality. 

As I understand it, the BIOS needs to support XMP overclocking in order for customers to change the timings. At present the BIOS does not have that functionality and as mentioned above I see no plans to add it. Ultimately, I believe this is what is causing the problems, the CL timings of the memory you are adding are maybe too high for the board.

I can't guarantee this will work, but maybe trying the 2444MHz memory may offer better compatibility than the 2666MHz that everyone has posted so far.

Has anyone tested the 2444MHz to confirm my suspicions?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos