Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

May 30th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15-9570, 3rd party 32GB RAM issue booting

I bought some Micron Ballistix 32GB RAM (SODIMM 2x16GB DDR4-2666 1.2V) and my XPS 9570 doesn't boot using this RAM. It blink 2x amber followed by 3x white lights on boot, with no other activity. I cannot even get to BIOS/UEFI. This light signal corresponds to no RAM, but clearly there's RAM in there. The sticks were tested on another laptop and they work fine (and they also work fine, interestingly, in certain configurations in the 9570 - see below).

I have figured out certain configurations in which the system boots up. For example, if I insert either of the new sticks in SODIMM slot 1, as long as SODIMM slot 2 has one of the old sticks of RAM in it, it boots fine. If the slots are both the new RAM, or if I just use one slot (with the other being empty) with the new RAM - it doesn't work.

Also slot 1 having the original RAM and slot 2 having the new RAM doesn't work either. The only configuration that works is slot 1 having the new 16GB RAM and slot 2 having the original 8GB RAM.

Perhaps this is a BIOS issue? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

10 Posts

June 8th, 2018 11:00

@Dell-Alan D Does that mean I need to roll back to version 1.0.5?  I'm currently running 1.1.4

Thanks

7 Posts

June 9th, 2018 07:00

I am facing the same problem and feel very frustrated. I used HyperX Impact 2133 CL 13, and it failed.

The RAM modules (Samsung) that come with Dell are 2666 CL19 modules (They can run CL17 or CL18 if the frequency is lowered a little bit).

I tried Micron 8ATF1G64HZ, which is a 2400 MHz module with a CL of 18. It succeeded on XPS 9570. The module came with my previous XPS 9560. Interesting, although the module has a CL of 18, it ran at CL 17 on XPS 9570.

I tried the hybrid module method with the Samsung 2666 CL 19 module that came with Dell on DIMM B and my old Kingston HyperX Impact 2133 CL 13. It worked and the system ran at 2133 MHz. The Kingston HyperX was full functional (all memory recognized). Note: If the HyperX was installed on DIMM B, the laptop did not boot.

It seems that two people succeeded in using third party memory modules. One example is the Corsair CMSX32GX4M2Av2666C18. This module has a CL of 18. Another module that works is G.SKILL F4-2666C18D-32GRS. Again, this module has a CL of 18.

It seems that both Kingston HX426S15IB2K2/32 (CL15) and BLS2K16G4S26BFSD (CL16) fail.

My intuition is that the success depends on the timing of the module. XPS 9570 may not be able to negotiate with a RAM that only has low CL profiles. When two memory modules are present, DIMM B takes precedence in the timing negotiation process. These are my guesses, which may not be true. However, we do see that XPS 9570 can operate at 2133 MHz. Hence, the frequency is not the problem.

BIOS 1.1.4 does not solve the problem even if the Kingston module uses SK Hynix chips.

Really wish they can solve the problem by upgrading the BIOS. This is rather frustrated. Had I known this, I would not have purchased this laptop.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 01:00

@Parman05 wrote:

@Dell-Alan D Does that mean I need to roll back to version 1.0.5?  I'm currently running 1.1.4

Thanks

@Parman05 if you haven't encountered any issues with 1.1.4 so far I would leave it as it is and wait for the next revision.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 01:00

@Sizhuang wrote:

I am facing the same problem and feel very frustrated. I used HyperX Impact 2133 CL 13, and it failed.

The RAM modules (Samsung) that come with Dell are 2666 CL19 modules (They can run CL17 or CL18 if the frequency is lowered a little bit).

I tried Micron 8ATF1G64HZ, which is a 2400 MHz module with a CL of 18. It succeeded on XPS 9570. The module came with my previous XPS 9560. Interesting, although the module has a CL of 18, it ran at CL 17 on XPS 9570.

I tried the hybrid module method with the Samsung 2666 CL 19 module that came with Dell on DIMM B and my old Kingston HyperX Impact 2133 CL 13. It worked and the system ran at 2133 MHz. The Kingston HyperX was full functional (all memory recognized). Note: If the HyperX was installed on DIMM B, the laptop did not boot.

It seems that two people succeeded in using third party memory modules. One example is the Corsair CMSX32GX4M2Av2666C18. This module has a CL of 18. Another module that works is G.SKILL F4-2666C18D-32GRS. Again, this module has a CL of 18.

It seems that both Kingston HX426S15IB2K2/32 (CL15) and BLS2K16G4S26BFSD (CL16) fail.

My intuition is that the success depends on the timing of the module. XPS 9570 may not be able to negotiate with a RAM that only has low CL profiles. When two memory modules are present, DIMM B takes precedence in the timing negotiation process. These are my guesses, which may not be true. However, we do see that XPS 9570 can operate at 2133 MHz. Hence, the frequency is not the problem.

BIOS 1.1.4 does not solve the problem even if the Kingston module uses SK Hynix chips.

Really wish they can solve the problem by upgrading the BIOS. This is rather frustrated. Had I known this, I would not have purchased this laptop.

@Sizhuang thanks for getting in touch about this and providing details of the modules and the steps you have tried. This helps with the information I can pass onto engineering. I'll send you a private message for the tag details.

Alan

7 Posts

June 12th, 2018 19:00

Tested on Kingston HyperX Impact 2666 CL15. Failed. I noticed that for this module, the memory chips are by Samsung and very similar to the ones come from Dell. Hence, it is not because of the type of chips.

I noticed that if I use Kingston HyperX Impact 2666 CL15 in DIMM A with the Samsung 2666 CL19 chip in DIMM B, the system can boot and the system is configured automatically to run at 2400 MHz with CL17. This is surprising at the beginning. It is reasonable since Kingston HyperX does not support CL19, and Samsung cannot run at 2666 MHz with a CL below 19. As a result, the system choses CL 17 and 2400 MHz, which both memory modules support.

According to all the information that I have now, I guess that the system will not boot for three possible reasons:

(1) The memory module in DIMM B does not have a timing support for 2666 MHz and CL 19.

(2) The memory module in DIMM B has an XMP profile.

(3) The memory module in DIMM B has a rank of dual.

Impression is that there is surely due to the problem of BIOS. Hope this can be fixed.

7 Posts

June 13th, 2018 17:00

The BIOS released today (6/13/2018) does not solve the problem. It still persists.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 14th, 2018 02:00

@Sizhuang wrote:

The BIOS released today (6/13/2018) does not solve the problem. It still persists.

Thanks @Sizhuang for the update. Engineering are still investigating the issue and I shall pass on this additional information.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 14th, 2018 04:00

Hi all, 

Engineering have investigated the issue and have advised the following :

We recommend using Dell qualified XMP memory on the system purchased through Dell channels. When we offer memory for our systems we work alongside our partners to test the memory thoroughly to ensure functionality and compatibility. This is then backed up with the Dell Warranty so that the system should work as described. For 3rd party memory we cannot guarantee that they have went through the same validation and testing process. This also applies to non Dell vendors advising of compatibility.

Ultimately, we can't guarantee compatibility and functionality of 3rd party products with Dell equipment.

Alan

7 Posts

June 14th, 2018 05:00

Feature Request for future BIOS Updates:
Please add an Option to enable X.M.P.! Third party RAM would run just fine if the user would be allowed to set the frequency manually instead of the system choosing it automatically (which is just wrong sometimes). Most XPS users are Pros or Tech-Enthusiast and will upgrade their RAM themselves, then run into the same problems. Which is more work for you. So let us tinker and fix it ourselves.

10 Posts

June 15th, 2018 13:00

@Sizhuang Thanks for the information. Looks like i need to decide if i need to return my RAM or wait for Dell to fix the BIOS....

7 Posts

@Parman05I did not verify the RAMs myself, but according to evidence online and my hypothesis, they should work. I see that the price of Corsair soared from 360 to 410 just one day when this information was released.

10 Posts

@Dell-Alan D I'm pretty disappointing in this recommendation. I understand that Dell can't guarantee functionality, but does dell plan to update the bios to address the issue?

@Sizhuang have you verified if either of these are working?

Thanks

7 Posts

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 18th, 2018 04:00

@Parman05 wrote:

@Dell-Alan D I'm pretty disappointing in this recommendation. I understand that Dell can't guarantee functionality, but does dell plan to update the bios to address the issue?

@Sizhuang have you verified if either of these are working?

Thanks

@Parman05 I can't see them changing the BIOS to accommodate one particular brand of memory. BIOS updates are released to address issues rather than add functionality. 

As I understand it, the BIOS needs to support XMP overclocking in order for customers to change the timings. At present the BIOS does not have that functionality and as mentioned above I see no plans to add it. Ultimately, I believe this is what is causing the problems, the CL timings of the memory you are adding are maybe too high for the board.

I can't guarantee this will work, but maybe trying the 2444MHz memory may offer better compatibility than the 2666MHz that everyone has posted so far.

Has anyone tested the 2444MHz to confirm my suspicions?

Alan

2 Posts

June 19th, 2018 08:00

I can't guarantee this will work, but maybe trying the 2444MHz memory may offer better compatibility than the 2666MHz that everyone has posted so far.

Has anyone tested the 2444MHz to confirm my suspicions?

Hi!
I have a single stick of 16GB HyperX DDR4 SODIMM rated at 2400MHz. My new XPS 9570 refuses to boot with it, regardless of what slot it's in, or what else is inserted.

It's a shame because I bought the RAM specifically for the XPS. It works fine in my other laptop.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm on the latest bios at the time of posting (1.1.4)

No Events found!