Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

12 Posts

August 31st, 2018 08:00

2 Posts

July 9th, 2018 14:00

Hi,

I got mine 1 week ago, and I'm affected by this issue.

Somehow seems random, but time to time it happens when I'm playing and stopping audio several times.

Hope we can find a solution to this.

cheers

2 Posts

July 12th, 2018 15:00

Hi All

I'm writing from Italy and I 've the same poblem, the technical support changed the motherboard and the speaker but the issue is still there :-(

3 Posts

July 13th, 2018 11:00

I just wanted to say that I've found a workaround that essentially fixes the issue.

On my machine, the crackling rarely occurs, most of the time it is fine. So when the issue does appear, I simply do this: right click on the speaker icon in windows, and toggle the "Spatial Sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones)" and the issue goes away for a few hours. While it is annoying to do this, I have to do it so infrequently that I don't really consider it a problem anymore.

I hope that this solution works for other people as well.

2 Posts

July 13th, 2018 15:00

Hi BWG, thanks for tips, but do you mean that you "activate" the windows spatial and after a couple of hours the issue comeback?

Thanks in advance for clarification

2 Posts

July 17th, 2018 08:00

That's not a fix, that's a workaround.

I also do something similar, by disabling and enabling again the Playback device.

Cheers

3 Posts

July 19th, 2018 20:00

If I right-click the audio icon in the windows tray, right below the "Open Volume Mixer" option is an option that either says "Spatial Sound (Off)" or "Spatial Sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones)", if you click that option and change whatever setting it is on to the other setting, your audio will shut off for a second, then turn back on. Then for me, it is fixed for a while. After a while the crackling invariably returns but it takes a few hours.

1 Message

July 27th, 2018 11:00

I have the same issue.  I requested a replacement laptop and I'm having the same issue with the new one.  If this isn't solved I'm probably just going to return my system for a refund.

July 29th, 2018 04:00

I'm currently talking to Dell regarding a replacement, but have also realized that many people seem affected and a replacement would probably persist the same issue. 

I've tried updating and reinstalling the audio drivers with no luck. Really love the laptop, but it's a major let-down. Let me know how it goes. They told me they'd schedule an appointment with an engineer to overlook the laptop, so I'm considering doing that and seeing if they find some software issue that is an easy fix. The more people we have write to them the more likely they'll develop an update for everyone to use. 

August 5th, 2018 20:00

This temporary fix works. Dell, when is there going to be a proper fix? This laptop has been out for months.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2018 01:00

I'm having the same issue with that crackling sound that sometimes occurs (with the 9570 i7 8th Gen). I'm in contact with support but we haven't found a solution yet. Was somebody able to solve this issue by having the laptop repaired? Dell might send a technician to repair the Laptop but I kinda fear that it might not be a hardware problem (the tests you can do at the Dell support page all show that there is no issue with the hardware). Any experience with this?

1 Message

August 8th, 2018 18:00

Having the same problem although the workaround does fix the issue. It is annoying and of course, no one at Dell is going to help :/

They delayed mine and everything and this is what I end up with, annoying

1 Message

August 13th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Same here, just bought and same problem.

I contacted dell support and somebody connected via remote control and reinstalled some drivers (eg audio, BIOS...) and fixed for that moment, but as it is intermittent, started to happen again.

That workaround changing spatial sound works, but just for a while and then happens again :(

29 Posts

August 15th, 2018 14:00

@MikeKuhlmann wrote:

I have the same issue.  I requested a replacement laptop and I'm having the same issue with the new one.  If this isn't solved I'm probably just going to return my system for a refund.

I hate to break it to you, but after requesting a replacement, you can't receive a refund. At least this is what I was told by the Returns department.

8 Posts

August 16th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for pointing that out!  I was thinking of asking for a replacement but now i'm not going to risk it.  

No Events found!