Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2018 08:00

If anyone interested, I eventually returned my unit. By installing sound drivers from Realtek website, I was able to temporarily solve "crackling sounds" issue. But after like 2 or 3 days all of a sudden the laptop lost all sound at all and Windows couldn't identify sound device. Even after reinstalling Windows one more time, sound wasn't working at all. I guess my unit just had a faulty motherboard or something. So If you experience a similar issue, I would suggest don't try to fix it, just return your unit if you can.

1 Message

September 20th, 2018 07:00

Hi Bronze, are you still struggling with this issue? The quality team is working on solving it and was wondering if you had any updates.

1 Message

September 21st, 2018 08:00

I am currently experiencing the same issue on the xps 15 9570. I can offer any feedback your team would like. 

1 Message

September 23rd, 2018 15:00

Same thing here.

September 23rd, 2018 23:00

There isn't any solution, I believe.  XPS has many faulty laptops. I bought new xps 2 in 1 and replaced 4 times, every time brand new from official store and all 4 dell xps has exactly the same issue. I have tried different stores as well just in case one store has stock with issues but no help. Every time it worked fine for a day or two. If I keep using audio/Video for more than 30-40 minutes, it starts crackling. Crackling is more without power cable plugged and if many applications are open. It's same with headfones and external speakers as well.

I, finally returned it back and got my money refunded. It's a great laptop otherwise and just this problem make it worst. i am still searching alternative to XPS.

September 25th, 2018 13:00

Having the same problem! Audio crackling whether it be AUX or speakers. DELL PLEASE FIX! Very pricey laptop and this is not fixed. disappointing

September 25th, 2018 13:00

May return and go somewhere else, will update.

1 Message

September 27th, 2018 21:00

My audio has occasional squeaks when there is no audio playing. It also distorts very badly at all volume levels when playing local and streamed audio. It happen when I'm using the on board speakers and occasionally with the headphones and over HDMI to external speakers. There have also been issues in which no sound will happen at all.

I've flashed the BIOS, reinstalled several Realtek drivers, Intel UHD audio drivers, and Maxx Audio.

The laptop is becoming unbearable because of the random squeaks. I can't bring this into a meeting or watch a video at home. 

21 Posts

September 27th, 2018 23:00

If someone wants to try this method, feel free.

1. Disable realtek audio and waves maxxaudio in the Services

2. Disable waves maxxaudio in the startup

3. Make sure you don't have Smartbyte installed or any of its services

4. Uninstall both softwares, remove and delete the realtek audio driver

5. Reinstall realtek audio, do not use the dell supplied driver.

6. Check Services if both are still disabled.

You should get a very good sound level even without the maxxaudio software. If you're sound level is low when you did the steps then you have to repeat the process. Not disabling the realtek unified in the services will make the sound level lower. 

The weakness will be you need to restart the device every time you plug a headphone. mic and other functions won't work. So far I have no cracking audio or popups, sound level is also very good. I'm using a fresh copy of windows 10.

October 2nd, 2018 05:00

It's so disappointing that we as customets spend so much money in trusting dell and dell us even not bothered to reply or try to fix this problem. There are 100s of people facing this issues despite spending 2000+ dollars !! PATHETIC CUSTOMER SERVICE.

October 2nd, 2018 17:00

/post deleted

October 2nd, 2018 17:00

It's a bit depressing to get my new XPS 15 that I saved up for (to replace an old version that I bought 8 years ago), figure out that it has this one hugely annoying flaw, and then see that an entire community of people has the same issue and it still hasn't been fixed. The workaround mentioned earlier rarely works for an entire hour, and usually less than 20 minutes for me. So I created a Dell Community account just to throw my hat in with the rest. I really hope that there is something that Dell can do about this because this thing is certainly not going to make it long without my using the warranty. Really love the laptop otherwise, but its a bit much to ask us to just live with such a continually grating flaw that effects all types of audio. Fingers crossed that some sort of fix can be made!

1 Message

October 7th, 2018 07:00

Dear everyone, I have embarked on a long conversation with the support for this problem. I tried all the solutions you proposed, as well as a strong reset and reinstalling all the drivers. but unfortunately it seems not to have been solved. To this I add the problem of the keyboard that seems to be resolved with the BIOS update 1.6.0. (let's hope). The media told me that the problem will be raised to a higher level of support. I await their news and I will let you know. Do you have any news from DELL?

1 Message

October 8th, 2018 11:00

Same problems here. I'm on my second dell xps right now after the first one got picked up for replacement. I went true all the support troubleshooting and it took amazingly long. Now on my second laptop the same issue appeared the first day I used it. Also send another message to support and they forwarded it to another team for a fix. I'm hopeful ! :Smile:

2 Posts

October 10th, 2018 16:00

Received this laptop on Saturday... already having this speaker issue on my XPS 13 2-in-1. At this point I'm preaching to the choir, but **bleep** is this a bummer.

No Events found!