Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

October 12th, 2018 11:00

Me too suffering from the same problem on my DELL XPS 15 9570 & Don't know what to do. But indeed it is an amazing machine.

October 12th, 2018 12:00

Oh man you wouldn't need to change anything because I'm also suffering from same issue & I think that is some type of glitch in new update of Windows 10 because I purchased a Inspiron 3 days ago & suffering from the same issue!

1 Message

October 16th, 2018 11:00

I'm having the same issue and I'm extremely disappointed. I got my laptop just yesterday and when I started playing videos in youtube I hear this strange crackling sound. I don't know why this is even happening. I followed the workaround solution posted by someone to right click on the volume icon in the bottom and turn on Spatial Sound(Windows sonic for headphones) but it comes back again!!! Did any of you talk to DELL customer service? Will I get a replacement if I talk to Dell customer service regarding this issue?

9 Posts

October 16th, 2018 11:00

Same problem... I bought one xps 15 in New Jersey and bringht it to BCN and now I realise about the issue. 

Hope Dell can give us a solution, pls report the fix if someone knows.

Thank you guys, you are not alone

12 Posts

October 16th, 2018 18:00

3.5 months I come to this thread to see if somebody figure out a solution as I lost faith in Dell after being a customer for... 3.5 months.

The easiest way I resolve the issue every 60 minutes is: Right click on Sound icon / Spatial sound / Toggle between Off and Windows Sonic for headphones.

20 Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

For audio problems you can test different drivers/programs configurations with DPC Latency Checker. Another good tool is LatencyMon, which tells you which driver is causing latency problems with a detailed report. However it is not always easy to find out the real cause, even with this tool.

In my case I kept for few days DPC latency Checker open during my regular sessions, and I discovered that using tools that check the Dell temp sensors (like Aida or hwinfo) dramatically enhanced the latency of the system (4000+ microsecs), leading to audio popping. So I figured out what was causing my problem: too much attention to the details of my machine!

With this tool you can also notice that in certain conditions the latency is reasonably low (below 1000 microsecs), while the more common situation is with a latency slightly higher (roughly 1300 microsecs) and this difference could be explained by Dell engineers here. However, audio problems start above 2000.

9 Posts

October 19th, 2018 03:00

I have try many different way to fix this stupid problem, cause my XPS have sound problem, also have Sleep Mode problem, it will turn on randomly. then I have to try to fix it, cos it turn on in my computer bag when I was in aircraft which very danger. 

Here is the way I try, at the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound  -> Power Options -> System Setting -> I change all the "Sleep" to " Hibernate " for now Sound and Sleep Mode problem seem better, I am not sure it work or help,. as all we know the sound problem will comeback few days maybe. for all you guys facing this problems if have time try this see it can help,. thanks.

Cos this High-end XPS cost me US$3375, I just want it work normal

P.S Dell have no idea why cause the sound crackling problem as they reply. they just try to replace this or that to waste the time. 

1 Message

October 22nd, 2018 14:00

Same exact problems, audio crackling, white noise, keyboard problems (and who knows what else) all developed in some time...

I'm trying to solve them with your guides and re-installing driver from support page of the specific producer. So far it seems working.

Let's just say that the hardware is really good (as always), SW department of Dell messed up just the driver part....it's half of the machine though... so... they should really improve the quality of update...

1 Message

October 24th, 2018 10:00

Same thing here, when you find a permanent solution, please let me know! I'm tired switching  spatial sound. !!!!

3 Posts

October 24th, 2018 16:00

**bleep** to see such an issue on an high end laptop, my 5 years old mid level Asus beats the **bleep** of my brand new XPS 9570 when it comes to audio production... Really disappointed :(

1 Message

October 28th, 2018 10:00

I'm having the same issue. It must be a software issue because if you plug in headphones or external speakers, the problem persists. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver from both RealTek's website and Dell's website, and even did two factory resets (first time with Keep Files, second time full reset). Nothing has worked. 

10 Posts

October 30th, 2018 16:00

Same problem! Getting worse over the last two months.

I notice the crackling comes when I change programs or adjust settings, etc.

One would think DELL is intentionally wanting to lose many loyal customers with this unwillingness to acknowledge and fix such a major problem.

Last DELL I will ever buy if not fixed soon.

October 30th, 2018 17:00

Hi everyone, 

Just got my XPS 15 one month ago and having the same issue. 

I found the same workaround as you (right clic on sound and change settings). 

But I saw a kind of an other good workaround on YouTube that KIND OF fix the issue. From then I only hear sometime  quiet small crackling (nothing compared than before). 

> Go to your Device Manager, System Devices and disable Dell Diag Control Device

Kind of work :) 

Something now I ve tried to fix it definitely : 

> I uninstall MaxWave Audio & all Realtek drivers. Then reinstall them all and enable MaxWave. For now it works, (just a day). I ll keep you in touch. 

9 Posts

November 2nd, 2018 23:00

I got my motherboard and speaker replace the problem still remain, then the retail shop got me a NEW XPS 9570 replacement, the  problem NOT FIX, I think this is design failure. and @Anonymous don't know how to fix it so till now they just ignore this ~ never reply! 

3 Posts

November 6th, 2018 16:00

Does anyone know whether you will still get the crackling and popping if you channel the sound through an external DAC?  The sound quality of the Waves MaxxAudio sound card isn't that great, so music would likely benefit from an external DAC anyway.   

No Events found!