Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

1 Message

November 7th, 2018 05:00

Same problem here. Nothing fixes it. I will try to return the laptop as it's been plagued with other issues since I bought it. This is really poor. Will never buy another Dell.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 19:00

Hi,

To solve the problem go to this page and follow the instructions. It may seem a little bit difficult but it's worth it.

It works for me (xps 9570) and I'm on cloud nine now.

Good luck!

1 Message

November 14th, 2018 02:00

thank you so much @dwil233

problem looks solved + sound is way more clear than before + can go way louder.

they should charge dell for this update. Took my 15minutes to to the upgrade compare to hours trying to solve this problem with dell customer service (they change my motherboard, speakers, sound card with no results...)

Where is dell customer service management responsible for theses issues doing ?

My XPS is honestly the best i ever seen. Light, fast, long battery life, efficient, smooth to use. Dell customer service is fast to respond.

However this issue should have been taken care of way more effienciently. Everyone would have save time and money....

November 14th, 2018 06:00

@dwil233 or @PierreVR . Can anyone provide a video tutorial to install this driver? Im not too confident reading the instructions.

10 Posts

November 14th, 2018 07:00

Happening on both XPSs ! 

15- 9570 AND 13 - 9360 special edition

Any assistance would really be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee

November 15th, 2018 03:00

Wow. Just my luck.

Had my 9570 for a week. No signs of 'crackling', was just on this thread trying to impove the sound of the laptop in general (not liking the 'hollow' sound). But after reading this thread and getting home, guess what!? Crackling & popping! Turning on spacial sound does work, but hopefully the modded driver will fix the problem without any ill side effects.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

November 16th, 2018 12:00

Hi,

same problem here. Let's keep the thread updated.
First time I buy a premium laptop and I got this annoying issue…can't believe it!

1 Message

November 17th, 2018 01:00

I have the same issue as everyone else. By now it is clear there is an issue with Dell's sound driver. Although the driver proposed by dwil233 might work I feel it is Dell's responsibility to address the issue and release an new driver of their own. After all, we bought an expensive Dell product.

219 Posts

November 17th, 2018 01:00

there's this 6.0.1.8557 A03 driver that XPS 9570 users might try out, even though it's for certain Inspiron laptops only.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

November 18th, 2018 00:00

Do you think we have any chance for Dell to address this issue?..Do they actually read this forums? It's really upsetting to have this kind of stupid problems after paying more than 1500€ on their products!

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

November 19th, 2018 04:00

UP

1 Message

November 21st, 2018 04:00

I have the same issue with my system, bought on 10-27-2018

November 22nd, 2018 04:00

Hi All, 

I am from Dell Product Engineering and looking into this specific issue reported. 

I however, have yet to replicate any of the reports on the 9570 units I have after extended periods of testing. 

I am looking for some clarity on the following: 

• Is the audio popping/cracking intermittently or is it a continuous distortion?
  • Is it more predominant when AC power is connected to the system?
  • does it pop/crack connecting or disconnecting power? 
  • does the fault favour a speaker side? right or left? 
  • Can this issue be provoked in anyway?
  • What Audio sources are you seeing the issue on ? For example: local audio files or online services or both? 
  • Is the system under load when this fault occurs? 
  • how is the fault rectified when it occurs? pausing the audio, different drive, or a full restart?
  • does it occur with the audio jack populated with headphones?
  • what audio driver version is installed? 
  • what BIOS version are you currently running?
  • What version of Windows are you running and what release of it (Windows 10 PRO RS3/4)
  • what audio enhancements are selected (if any) 

Ideally i am looking for replication details and some info on the above and/or anything additional that may be beneficial to me. 

Thanks! 

#IWork4Dell

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 05:00

for xps 13 9365 (can't find on other board - but exact symptoms as described for 9570)

Intermittent

No

Sometimes

No

?

All audio

No

Never rectified

Yes

Realtek 6.0.1.8509

Bios 2.2.0

Windows 10 Home V1803 (also was occuring in previous version)

happens with or without enhancements

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 05:00

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Here is the information required:

• Is the audio popping/cracking intermittently or is it a continuous distortion?

When the problem occur it is a continuous distortion

• Is it more predominant when AC power is connected to the system?

I will verify that and let you know.

• Does it pop/crack connecting or disconnecting power?

Nope. It starts crackling randomly. Apparently there is no reason.

• Does the fault favour a speaker side? right or left?

Nope. Both sides are affected.

• Can this issue be provoked in anyway?

No. I did not find a way yet.

• What Audio sources are you seeing the issue on? For example: local audio files or online services or both?

Spotify, Gaming, Youtube...whenever the issue occurs it affects every audio reproduction.

• Is the system under load when this fault occurs?

Need to verify this. But it happens just listening to any song in Spotify (with no other applications running), if we can consider that beeing "under load".

• How is the fault rectified when it occurs? pausing the audio, different drive, or a full restart?

A very basic workaround is to change the Windows Spatial Sound status: from enable to disable or viceversa. Also Enabling then Disabling makes the trick.

• Does it occur with the audio jack populated with headphones?

It happens with Built-in speakers and using External speakers as well. I'm going to try with bluetooth headphones and let you know.

• What audio driver version is installed?

The last retrieved by Dell Support Assistance application

• What BIOS version are you currently running?

Same as above.

• What version of Windows are you running and what release of it (Windows 10 PRO RS3/4)

Windows 10 PRO latest build. I'll post the exact version later (as soon as I go home to check).

• What audio enhancements are selected (if any)?

I disabled every audio enhancement. Either from Maxi Sound Pro panel and Windows Audio Properties panel.

Anyway I want to point out that, according to what has been reported by other users, the issue seems caused by Maxi Sound software. If you read the entire thread, there is a guy who posted a modified version of Dell Driver package without maxi software and the issue didn't happen again. Unfortunately this fix involves the use of Unsigned Drivers and needs Windows Registry to be edited. Other users also report that uninstalling Dell Audio Driver Package (Maxi sound included) and installing Microsoft Audio Driver fixes the issue.

I hope I have been helpful. Looking forward to your reply.

No Events found!