Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

44 Posts

November 30th, 2018 10:00

@eumak15 What exact driver version did you download from Realtek? Do you have a link?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 1st, 2018 00:00

Either I installed the drivers from realtek website. The version is the same as dell package. I lost the maxxsound panel and now i can only choose headphones from the dialog when connecting my speakers to the jack. I tried to replicate the bug but it has not occurred yet.

Even the maxxsound panel has gone I noticed that realtek package installed maxxsound stuff as well.

December 3rd, 2018 02:00

Hi guys,

I´ve the same problem with my new XPS 15 9570. Iam about to buy a external sound dac and would be really interested if the problem persist even when using an external sound dac solution.

@davesbrown @R-Bar Did you test it with your Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 already? Really looking forward to your reply.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2018 05:00

Hi guys,

same issue here. I tried to uninstall and reinstall but it's not working. The problem seems unsolved for months now, do you think the best action is to ask for a refund? I bought this laptop for music production and cannot risk to lose my 14 days of return policy.

I also tested it with an external sound card (Steinberg) and the problem persists.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 11:00

Is there any progress on a patch at this moment? I have this laptop for a week and invested in it with my savings as a student. So having this problem really bugs me. I'm really hoping on an easy update from Dell...

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 13:00

The modified driver did NOT fix the crackling for me.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

After a few days of usage I can confirm the issue has gone. All it takes is to install the drivers from realtek website.

3 Posts

@Hirnfleisch I did not test it with an external DAC.  I spent a lot of time with Dell support unsuccessfully trying to resolve the issue.  After their re-installs did not fix the issue, they could not give me any assurances that an external DAC would do so, or that if I sent the laptop in for repair Dell knew how to fix the problem, so I returned the laptop.  Unfortunate, since I otherwise really liked the laptop.

December 3rd, 2018 23:00

@Hirnfleisch I have not been able to do an extensive test, but I did wait until I had the crackling and then plugged in the DAC Focusrite and there is no crackling.  I plan on doing some more tests to see if I can reproduce or trigger the crackling and switch between devices.

December 6th, 2018 04:00

Have same problem, reinstalled the driver exactly as you did but the issue occasionally persists... Did you really solve it by reinstalling the driver?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 6th, 2018 05:00

I'm reposting the link https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software these are the driver that seem to work properly. But first you need to uninstall Dell's drivers (from device manager) and Maxxsound software (from Settings->Apps panel). Appearently it solved the issue for me.

December 7th, 2018 01:00

@Axl Jaywhich one should I download there are 3 64bit ones for windows 10. Also how many days have gone since you updated and the issue stopped. What drivers do you mean when you say dells drivers? the Realtek ones?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 7th, 2018 03:00

The one highlighted, 258 MB.

Drivers.PNG
It has been like one week since I installed them, and issue did not occur again.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2018 12:00

Hi @YashaswiPandey did you try what @Axl Jay wrote? If yes did it work for you?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 10th, 2018 23:00

I wonder if Dell realized what the issue is... Dear Dell Support, how is your testing going?

No Events found!