Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

December 11th, 2018 09:00

I haven't got around to test it yet, but what I found to work was connecting a usb c earphone and then unplugging it, don't know if other usb c attachments will have the same effect though.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2018 09:00

Hey Axl are you still experiencing zero issues? Been having issues with my audio becoming static/distorted occasionally (sometimes frequently) on my Dell XPS-15 9570 and it really interferes with music production.

Would love it if this was finally the solution as I have been trying to fix the problem for many months now. Would you recommend it?

1 Message

December 15th, 2018 08:00

I bought this laptop just over a week ago, and the audio is popping and causing crashes. In my conversations with Dell support, it has become clear that they know this product is broken and cannot be fixed. If I had known about this issue, I never would have bought this machine. I will never buy Dell again, and I will ensure that my colleagues in the media are fully apprised of this behavior. I am demanding a full refund for this product and an apology in writing.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 15th, 2018 10:00

Since I installed the drivers from realtek website the issue seems fixed. It only happened once that it kind of started to distort the audio again but the effect was way more subtle. Anyway I definitely can tell that I'm satisfied now.

Try to install those drivers.

1 Message

December 15th, 2018 12:00

I have exactly the same problem and it is very unpleasant for a laptop that it isn't properly cheap. 

3 Posts

December 15th, 2018 12:00

Awesome I'm about to attempt these steps. I found the MaxxSound app and I'm about to uninstall it. Just to be clear, which is the audio device I need to uninstall in Device Manager? I don't see any Dell drivers specifically, the only two options for me are Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek(R) Audio (also an NVIDIA one but I doubt it's that). Under inputs there is a Speaker/Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio). Which one is the one I need to uninstall?

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

December 16th, 2018 00:00

1. The device to be uninstalled is Realtek(R) Audio:

device.PNG

2. uninstall maxxaudio pro from settings->apps

3. download and install realtek package from here

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

Drivers.PNG

I think that Dell should pay me for this…Hey you! Dell guy! Are you still trying to replicate this stupid thing or what?

Anyway, yesterday I tried to use my DAW (Reaper) with an external DAC (Line6 pod x3), and I managed to have a BSOD! Never happened with my previous **bleep**ty laptop. I really don't know what to think at this point. I don't know if it's Win10 fault...or laptop fault...

What I wonder is all of those stupid reviewers on the Internet telling wonders about this laptop which is missing very basic features: proper audio, no bsod, a proper sleep mode...

It's sad to say but I feel cheated.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2018 13:00

I sent my laptop for warranty repair (UK purchased in pc world). They said they solved the problem (new drivers, bios, new operating system). After three days the problem came back :(
@Axl JayI did everything as you wrote but unfortunately it also did not help. I still have intermittent a problem with sound

December 17th, 2018 02:00

Thanks for the Windows "spatial sound on / off" workaround, it worked for me! Come on DELL fix this bug, it's embarassing for a premium laptop...

4 Posts

December 17th, 2018 11:00

Hi, I've got the same problem, I've investigated it thoroughly by logging kernel event traces and using windows performance analyzer, and the audio popping problem is really a low level ACPI layer issue, very close to the hardware, and related to the handling of hardware events in the ACPI interpreter. So it looks like it cannot be fixed by software. Dell support is totally clueless about this. Dell engineering surely knows what is wrong since the issue has been plaguing the XPS line since the 9550 and they never did anything to fix it and apparently does not intend to do anything about it ever. If it is a windows problem they could at least work hand in hand with Microsoft to fix it but no. Frank Azor mentioned they were working on the issue, that they just found out about it. I cannot believe they were not aware of it since forums are full of people complaining about it for YEARS.

4 Posts

Hi, I've got the same problem, I've investigated it thouroughly by logging kernel event traces and using windows performance analyzer, and the audio popping problem is really a low level ACPI layer issue, very close to the hardware, and related to the handling of hw events in the ACPI interpreter. So it looks like it cannot be fixed by software. Dell support is totally clueless about this. Dell engineering surely knows what is wrong since the issue has been plaguing the XPS line since the 9550 and they never did anything to fix it and apparently does not intend to do anything about it ever. If it is a windows problem they could at least work hand in hand with microsoft to fix it but no. Frank Azor mentionned they were working on the issue, that they just found out about it. I cannot believe they were not aware of it since forums are full of people complaining about it for YEARS. Don't buy this laptop.

1 Message

I bought this pc over a month ago, noticed this problem a couple of days later and followed this topic ever since, trying to attempt every suggestion you guys gave. Nothing worked for me, not the Spatial sound thing neither uninstalling the realtek drivers (I tried twice).

I'm starting to think maybe I do have a hardware related problem, because the crackling I'm talking about it's softer than the one showed in this post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9gm0wc/incredibly_annoying_crackling_sound_issues_xps_15/ and occurs mainly at high frequencies. Yet the problem show up in the same exact way as described in the first posts of this thread (noise from the left speaker, headphones and bluetooth speakers work just fine, updated all drivers I could ever possibly find). 

When I uninstalled Dell's audio drivers and tried Realtek's I almost found that the audio got worse, but that could be just my perception.

The crackling sound comes esclusively from the left speaker, and right now (with Realtek drivers) if I activate Windows Sonic the annoying sounds seem to be just a bit less disturbing.
I also want to add that, even with muted sounds I can hear some low volume noises coming from the speakers, but I can hear them only in a very quiet environment.

It actually is disappointing and frustrating, I cannot stay without a laptop and I can't even tolerate this kind of issues after I spent such a high price. Also I'm curious on when there will be some sort of reply from Dell in its own forum.

42 Posts

December 17th, 2018 12:00

Same problem here. Waiting for solution, Dell. I work with audio, without the solution the laptop is unusable for me.

10 Posts

December 18th, 2018 13:00

Thank you!

Worked for me on my 9365 - don't re-install WAVES - no problems for last 4 days.

From other posts, it looks like there may be a few different issues producing the same symptoms and this isn't going to work for all.

This was my first and last DELL. Shameful company service

4 Posts

December 18th, 2018 14:00

I've been experiencing this as well. I've attempted to contact support through both Twitter and through the regular customer support channels, neither has resulted in anything. On September 6th 2018, a direct message from DellCares on Twitter stated I could expect a driver update in the "next 2-3 weeks." After that time passed, when I asked for another status update, I was told that there was no longer an estimate as to when a driver update would be available.

The Linux audio driver used for this hardware works flawlessly, it is only Dell's driver for Windows that has this problem. This does not appear to be a hardware issue, and is almost certainly fixable through an update.

Audio output is an essential feature and the fact that there hasn't been any additional information on this issue from Dell is abysmal.

No Events found!