A.T.
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have exactly the same problem and it is very unpleasant for a laptop that it isn't properly cheap. 

ssilva92
1 Nickel

Awesome I'm about to attempt these steps. I found the MaxxSound app and I'm about to uninstall it. Just to be clear, which is the audio device I need to uninstall in Device Manager? I don't see any Dell drivers specifically, the only two options for me are Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek(R) Audio (also an NVIDIA one but I doubt it's that). Under inputs there is a Speaker/Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio). Which one is the one I need to uninstall?
Axl Jay
2 Bronze

1. The device to be uninstalled is Realtek(R) Audio:

device.PNG

2. uninstall maxxaudio pro from settings->apps

3. download and install realtek package from here

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

Drivers.PNG

I think that Dell should pay me for this…Hey you! Dell guy! Are you still trying to replicate this stupid thing or what?

Anyway, yesterday I tried to use my DAW (Reaper) with an external DAC (Line6 pod x3), and I managed to have a BSOD! Never happened with my previous **bleep**ty laptop. I really don't know what to think at this point. I don't know if it's Win10 fault...or laptop fault...

What I wonder is all of those stupid reviewers on the Internet telling wonders about this laptop which is missing very basic features: proper audio, no bsod, a proper sleep mode...

It's sad to say but I feel cheated.

Jozekg
1 Copper

I sent my laptop for warranty repair (UK purchased in pc world). They said they solved the problem (new drivers, bios, new operating system). After three days the problem came back Smiley Sad
@Axl JayI did everything as you wrote but unfortunately it also did not help. I still have intermittent a problem with sound

0 Kudos
anotherbreed
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 9570 Audio Crackling and Popping

Thanks for the Windows "spatial sound on / off" workaround, it worked for me! Come on DELL fix this bug, it's embarassing for a premium laptop...

0 Kudos
Fefras
1 Copper

I bought this pc over a month ago, noticed this problem a couple of days later and followed this topic ever since, trying to attempt every suggestion you guys gave. Nothing worked for me, not the Spatial sound thing neither uninstalling the realtek drivers (I tried twice).

I'm starting to think maybe I do have a hardware related problem, because the crackling I'm talking about it's softer than the one showed in this post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9gm0wc/incredibly_annoying_crackling_sound_issues_xps_15/ and occurs mainly at high frequencies. Yet the problem show up in the same exact way as described in the first posts of this thread (noise from the left speaker, headphones and bluetooth speakers work just fine, updated all drivers I could ever possibly find). 

When I uninstalled Dell's audio drivers and tried Realtek's I almost found that the audio got worse, but that could be just my perception.

The crackling sound comes esclusively from the left speaker, and right now (with Realtek drivers) if I activate Windows Sonic the annoying sounds seem to be just a bit less disturbing.
I also want to add that, even with muted sounds I can hear some low volume noises coming from the speakers, but I can hear them only in a very quiet environment.

It actually is disappointing and frustrating, I cannot stay without a laptop and I can't even tolerate this kind of issues after I spent such a high price. Also I'm curious on when there will be some sort of reply from Dell in its own forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
the.rem
1 Nickel

Hi, I've got the same problem, I've investigated it thouroughly by logging kernel event traces and using windows performance analyzer, and the audio popping problem is really a low level ACPI layer issue, very close to the hardware, and related to the handling of hw events in the ACPI interpreter. So it looks like it cannot be fixed by software. Dell support is totally clueless about this. Dell engineering surely knows what is wrong since the issue has been plaguing the XPS line since the 9550 and they never did anything to fix it and apparently does not intend to do anything about it ever. If it is a windows problem they could at least work hand in hand with microsoft to fix it but no. Frank Azor mentionned they were working on the issue, that they just found out about it. I cannot believe they were not aware of it since forums are full of people complaining about it for YEARS. Don't buy this laptop.

0 Kudos
the.rem
1 Nickel

Hi, I've got the same problem, I've investigated it thoroughly by logging kernel event traces and using windows performance analyzer, and the audio popping problem is really a low level ACPI layer issue, very close to the hardware, and related to the handling of hardware events in the ACPI interpreter. So it looks like it cannot be fixed by software. Dell support is totally clueless about this. Dell engineering surely knows what is wrong since the issue has been plaguing the XPS line since the 9550 and they never did anything to fix it and apparently does not intend to do anything about it ever. If it is a windows problem they could at least work hand in hand with Microsoft to fix it but no. Frank Azor mentioned they were working on the issue, that they just found out about it. I cannot believe they were not aware of it since forums are full of people complaining about it for YEARS.

RGBR
2 Iron

Same problem here. Waiting for solution, Dell. I work with audio, without the solution the laptop is unusable for me.
0 Kudos
nierika
1 Nickel

Thank you!

Worked for me on my 9365 - don't re-install WAVES - no problems for last 4 days.

From other posts, it looks like there may be a few different issues producing the same symptoms and this isn't going to work for all.

This was my first and last DELL. Shameful company service

0 Kudos