Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 15:00

its ssuuuuupeeeeer annoying like whyyyy 

1 Message

January 28th, 2019 10:00

Hey there, I bought my Dell XPS 9570 two weeks ago and I am experiencing the same issue. Tried almost everything: updated BIOS, updated audio driver, used modded audio driver, but nothing seems to work. The only workaround, as some of you already pointed out, is to switch between spatial sound settings. Anyway, I contacted Dell support some days ago and they said they are going to release a new BIOS version that will fix this issue. Hope this comment will be useful to someone. Peace out!

27 Posts

January 28th, 2019 12:00

They said it months ago... 

1 Message

January 28th, 2019 19:00

This has been an extremely annoying issue with my otherwise solid XPS!

Just like most of you here, I've tried a variety of things. Some would help for a limited time, some none at all.

I am cautiously optimistic about the latest settings tweak.

On my headphones, changing the quality to "CD quality" has made the problem go away. See below..

Good luck, YMMV

2019-01-28_22-18-42.png

January 30th, 2019 08:00

has the issue been resolved?

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 04:00

Hello. I, too, am having this issue. It does help by changing the Spatial Sound settings on the volume icon, but would love a more permanent fix! This happens occasionally both on the speakers and also the headphone jack! My dear laptop ):

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 22:00

Glad to see I'm not alone.
Just got it delivered today and have experienced this problem already, just once though. 
The spatial sound tweak has worked for now. 
Hoping the new BIOS with the fix is released soon.

12 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 18:00

Hi everybody,

Still the same problem for the past 6 months, just like you all! One thing I noticed is that the issue doen't apply with bluetooth speakers or bluetooth headphones. Only with the already crappy laptop speakers and Jack headphones. Maybe that could help somebody smarter than me to troubleshoot this annoying issue to say the least. The number of times I almost threw the laptop across the room...

1 Message

February 4th, 2019 18:00

This isn't a good news story. I bought this 9570 16GB 1TB 4k laptop last June when it first arrived. Right from the get-go there were crackling issues. Did everything I could to fix it - updated drivers etc. Chatted back and forth with Dell tech support and they also could not fix it despite many weeks of trying. Finally had a technician come by and replace the speakers, though I knew it wasn't that. Confirmed - it wasn't the speakers. So it kept happening and they eventually decided to replace the laptop altogether. Well, as it turned out, the new laptop did the exact thing. So here I am, almost 8 months after purchasing it and Dell has agreed to give a full refund on this computer as they can't fix the issue.

My suggestion: contact support and argue for a full refund as well. There's no way spending $2800-3000 on a laptop should result in this kind of issue. So frustrating!

Good luck!

February 5th, 2019 09:00

There are tons of users with the same issue. it might have to do with this. https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042 What does dell have to say about this?? its not a minor issue! Haven't read any explanations.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2019 04:00

Hi all, 

We are aware of the audio crackling and popping issues on the system and have been working alongside Realtek to develop a solution for this issue. The driver is currently in testing with multiple users and we are waiting on sufficient feedback results.

Once I can provide more detailed information I will.

Alan

February 8th, 2019 14:00

Is there anyway to get into the test? @Dell-Alan D 

February 9th, 2019 06:00

I have the same problem. This is very annoying! Almost 2000 € for nothing!

42 Posts

February 12th, 2019 03:00

Hello, 

This new driver will solve latency problems as well? We hope so...

February 12th, 2019 03:00

Do you have news for us?
No Events found!